• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2 Major Winter Storm part 3

Hoosier

I noticed while looping the NAM at H5 that the last frame has the northern low moving westward. Leads me to believe that it would continue that retrogression beyond 84 similar to the other models.

It will. The cold air at 700 has trajectories heading straight SW--as a result of low level CAA the heights would fall on the back-end.

post-999-0-19803000-1296248576.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty good discussion from IWX

POTENTIAL STRONG WINTER STORM FOR THE MIDWEST AND OUR AREA NEXT WEEK REMAINS THE PRIMARY FOCUS IN THE LONG TERM PERIOD. AS WE DISCUSSED YESTERDAY...THE OVERALL LARGE SCALE SYNOPTIC EVOLUTION AMONGST MEDIUM RANGE MODELS IS IN GENERAL AGREEMENT BUT SIGNIFICANT VARIATIONS AND DIFFERENCES CONTINUE FROM RUN TO RUN WITH EVOLUTION...TRACK AND DETAILS. FEW CHANGES BEING PLANNED TO LONG TERM GRIDS AS OVERALL SITUATION HANDLED WELL AT THIS TIME RANGE. A BLEND OF GEFS AND ECMWF WITH PREVIOUS GRIDS GENERALLY USED.

SUNDAY WILL BEGIN WITH RESIDUAL MOISTURE ACROSS THE NORTH AND WEAK 925-850MB FLOW OFF THE LAKE WITH VERY MARGINAL DELTA T VALUES. WILL RETAIN LOW CHANCE POPS FOR CONSISTENCY BUT DO NOT EXPECT MUCH FROM THIS.

PACIFIC SHORT WAVE ENERGY SEEN NICELY IN WATER VAPOR TODAY WILL BEGIN TO MOVE ONSHORE SUNDAY AS NORTHERN STREAM SHORT WAVE DROPS SOUTH OUT OF CENTRAL CANADA. PHASING OF THESE FEATURES REMAINS THE PROBLEM FOR MODELS IN THEIR HANDLING OF EVENTUAL WINTER STORM FOR THE MIDWEST. IMPRESSIVE ARCTIC HIGH...WITH LATEST SURFACE PRESSURES OF 1050MB INDICATED IN MODELS...WILL DROP INTO THE NORTHERN CONUS ON MONDAY BEHIND NORTHERN STREAM WAVE. LOW LEVEL BAROCLINIC GRADIENT WILL TIGHTEN OVER THE CENTRAL CONUS AS LOW LEVEL FLOW BEGINS TO BACK AHEAD OF PHASING SHORT WAVES. THIS WILL SET THE STAGE FOR WARM AIR ADVECTION PRECIPITATION TO BREAK OUT WITH OUR AREA BEING ON EASTERN FRINGE MONDAY AND TUESDAY. WILL CONTINUE WITH LOW CHANCE POPS FOR THIS BUT STRONG HIGH TO OUR NORTH WILL KEEP A DRY LOW LEVEL EASTERLY FLOW IN PLACE THAT MAY INHIBIT PCPN FROM REACHING SURFACE EARLY ON BUT WILL ALSO ACT TO LOCK IN COLD AIR.

DEGREE OF PHASING TUESDAY IN THE SOUTHWEST CONUS REMAINS CHALLENGING AND VARIABLE AMONG THE MODELS. 00Z ECMWF IS FURTHEST WEST AND NORTH AS IT IS PHASING ENERGY INTO A BROAD AND DEEP WESTERN TROUGH AND EJECTS SURFACE LOW FURTHER NORTH AND WEST. GFS IS A LITTLE MORE PROGRESSIVE AND KEEPS SURFACE LOW FURTHER SOUTH AND EAST. WITH STRONG NEGATIVE TILT ADVERTISED IN MODELS FOR MID LEVELS HAVE TO RESPECT THE ECMWF IDEA AS WE HAVE SEEN THIS MANY TIMES AND MODELS ALREADY ADJUSTED FROM YESTERDAYS GULF COAST SOLUTIONS.

12Z ECMWF RUN HAS ADJUSTED SLIGHTLY SOUTH AND EAST BUT REMAINS LEFT OF GFS AND ITS ENSEMBLES. CONFIDENCE IN THE UPPER HEIGHT PATTERN REMAINS LOW WITH SHORT WAVE ENERGY STILL IN POORLY SAMPLED REGIONS AND LOOKING STRONGER THAN MODELS INDICATE. THUS WILL CONTINUE WITH A COMPROMISE SOLUTION BETWEEN THE GFS AND ECMWF WHICH LIES CLOSER TO GEFS MEAN SOLUTIONS WHICH ARE TIGHTLY CLUSTERED WITH SURFACE LOW THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY. THE DIFFERENCE FOR OUR AREA WILL LIE IN PCPN TYPE FOR THIS EVENT AS ECMWF THERMAL FIELDS SUGGEST A SIGNIFICANT ICING EVENT POSSIBLE AS STRONG HIGH TO OUR NORTH WILL LOCK IN ARCTIC COLD WEDGE NEAR SURFACE WHILE WARM AIR ADVECTION ALOFT PUSHES IN WITH ABUNDANT MOISTURE. GEFS SOLUTIONS WILL YIELD A HEAVY SNOW EVENT FOR THE AREA WITH SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS. STILL EXPECT FURTHER MODEL CHANGES GIVEN THE COMPLICATED AND ACTIVE PACIFIC PATTERN RIGHT NOW.

DESPITE THE DIFFERENCES IN THE DETAILS...MODEL AGREEMENT ON SOME TYPE OF PRECIPITATION OVER OUR AREA CONTINUES SO HAVE INCREASED POPS TO HIGH CHANCE CATEGORY AND LEFT PREDOMINANT TYPE AS SNOW GIVEN MOST MODEL SOLUTIONS FAVORING THIS RIGHT NOW. A LOT OF CHANGES LIKELY WITH EVOLUTION OVER NEXT FEW DAYS SO CONTINUED MONITORING OF FORECASTS IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

You're saying the models can't show it even though it's possible?

I can't see how it can be a western lakes cutter...

the nam looks to me like it will pop a SLP in central Texas maybe even south Central Tx and end up Shooting it NNE until it reaches S. IL or so and then moves more east..if it even gets that north...

if the energy retrogrades to the backside of the trough..the 1st vort will come out and eventually weaken as it heads into the PV and wont go that far NW...

Good the Euro Ensemble are well South of the OP like all of the other models...that is good news for my area

I am thinking a majoe ice storm is coming..with a Columbia MO to LAF major snow event

From another board

They are slightly further nw vs the 00z run but not as far north as the 12z OP run. The QPF has gone up and now the .75+ line makes it to the 3rd row of counties in S.MI back to the IL/WI line and just north of the QC and along/south of i80 back to NE. The 1+ QPF line is from near LAF on east/ene ( Covers IND ) to Sandusky on south to the river. From me Its going to be a long 3-5 days if everyone is posting about IMBY!

JMA looks just like the GFS and absoloutly smokes the state of Mo with well over 1.50 qpf, reminds me of the ice storm of 2006 down there. STL the way it stand may just get paralyzed either by ice or snow or both. Either way this has the making of a benchmark storm imo. Watching that 850 mb frz line creep south despite a southwesterly flow sure is a tell tell sign of very deep and intense frontogenesis and cooling...remarkable. Looking at the GFS you can see good jet coupling as well and for an extended period of time. Yeah this one is gonna be a lot of fun.

JMA looks just like the GFS and absoloutly smokes the state of Mo with well over 1.50 qpf, reminds me of the ice storm of 2006 down there. STL the way it stand may just get paralyzed either by ice or snow or both. Either way this has the making of a benchmark storm imo. Watching that 850 mb frz line creep south despite a southwesterly flow sure is a tell tell sign of very deep and intense frontogenesis and cooling...remarkable. Looking at the GFS you can see good jet coupling as well and for an extended period of time. Yeah this one is gonna be a lot of fun.

you remind me of someone from eastern.

LMK AFD

HERE IS HOW THE CURRENT FORECAST STANDS...WHICH IS A BLEND OF THE

GFS...NAEFS...AND TO SOME DEGREE THE ECMWF. AS THE SYSTEM APPROACHES

MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY...ISENTROPIC LIFT/WARM AIR ADVECTION WILL

INCREASE. WARM/MOIST ELEVATED AIR WILL SPREAD OVER A COLDER SURFACE

AIRMASS...MAINLY ACROSS THE NORTHERN CWA. THE VERTICAL TEMPERATURE

PROFILE INDICATES PRECIPITATION SHOULD FALL AS LIGHT RAIN...BUT WITH

FREEZING/SUB-FREEZING SURFACE TEMPERATURES IN THE NORTH...EXPECT

RAIN TO FREEZE ON CONTACT OVERNIGHT MONDAY AND THROUGH TUESDAY

MORNING. THROUGH THE DAY TUESDAY...TEMPERATURES WILL CONTINUE TO

WARM AS WARM AIR ADVECTION ADVANCES NORTHEAST. HOWEVER...WITH

NORTHERLY SURFACE WINDS /A FUNCTION OF THE AGEOSTROPHIC WIND AT LOW

LEVELS/ I DO NOT ANTICIPATE OUR EXTREME NORTHERN COUNTIES TO GET

MUCH ABOVE FREEZING TUESDAY. THIS WOULD CREATE A PROLONGED PERIOD OF

FREEZING RAIN...AND IT APPEARS OUR SOUTHERN INDIANA COUNTIES COULD

SEE THE BRUNT OF THIS STORM SYSTEM.

TEMPERATURES WILL DECREASE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY AS THE

SURFACE LOW TRACKS OVER THE AREA. PRECIPITATION INTENSITY SHOULD

INCREASE TUESDAY NIGHT PRODUCING NEEDED RAINFALL ACROSS THE

SOUTH...BUT ALSO THE DREADED FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET ACROSS THE

NORTH. THE SYSTEM WILL PULL OUT OF HERE DURING THE DAY

WEDNESDAY...WITH PRECIPITATION CHANGING OVER TO LIGHT SNOW ACROSS

THE NORTH AND A RAIN/SNOW MIX ACROSS THE SOUTH. AS MENTIONED

PREVIOUSLY...THIS FORECAST CAN...AND PROBABLY WILL...CHANGE AS THE

MODELS CONVERGE TOWARD A COMMON SOLUTION. STAY TUNED!

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

344 PM EST FRI JAN 28 2011

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...

CONSIDERABLE MODEL SPREAD REMAINS REGARDING EVOLUTION OF COMPLEX

SPLIT FLOW PATTERN NEXT WEEK...BUT A BIT MORE CONSISTENCY THAN

YESTERDAY IS NOTED. HOWEVER...SPREAD IS ENOUGH TO STILL PROVIDE

MAJOR UNCERTAINTY REGARDING PRECIP TYPE AND AMOUNTS ACROSS THE

FORECAST AREA. SOMEONE IN THE MIDWEST APPEARS LIKELY TO SEE A

MAJOR WINTER STORM NEXT WEEK. QUESTION IS WHERE. A BLEND OF MODELS

ARE USED FOR LARGE SCALE GUIDANCE...AND DID NOT DEVIATE MUCH FROM

HPC NUMBERS. EXCEPTION TO THIS IS ON TEMPS. WAS NOT QUITE READY TO

BUY MUCH COLDER GFS OVER WARMER EURO...WHICH ON THE WHOLE PERFORMS

BETTER IN THE LONGER RANGES. AS SUCH...TEMPERED EXTENDED TEMPS

WITH ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE MEANS.

Still waiting on ILN AFD to update but the updated pinpoint forecast now has me at 50% chance of snow tuesday night and wednesday.

Archived