• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Feb 1-2 Upstate NY / North Country Major Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

Yeah only 4.5" from this overnight event here and sleeted the last two hours. But close to 10" for the two day period so I can't complain that much. When a primary low tracks to western NY and gives Chicago a blizzard, you are very lucky to get 10 inches here.

But some orf the forecasts busted ridiculously. Andy was one of the more cautious ones overall.

yeah not a bad event at all considering

whats your depth?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the dry air that punched northward made it as far as about bancroft-ottawa line, but now has begun sinking back south as evidenced by the Toronto radar especially where returns have picked up considerably sinking southwards....

so it looks like still several hours of decent accumulating snow cotinuing as this remnant h7 band crosses the region.

the dry air that punched northward made it as far as about bancroft-ottawa line, but now has begun sinking back south as evidenced by the Toronto radar especially where returns have picked up considerably sinking southwards....

so it looks like still several hours of decent accumulating snow cotinuing as this remnant h7 band crosses the region.

No kidding. Snowing dendrites here! :weight_lift:

Hey, that guy from the accuweather forums whose forecast I shared with you yesterday. He might not have been far off! :thumbsup:

Heaviest snow of the event moving through right now. Looks like an hour or so of +SN and we can put this sucker to bed on the niagara frontier. Unless this sticks around longer than expected, I should end up with a storm total of about 5 inches of snow and 1-2 inches of sleet. Even though the storm was a disappointment, the snow pack in my area is still pretty impressive with all the recent light to moderate events and consistenly cold air.

Heaviest snow of the event moving through right now. Looks like an hour or so of +SN and we can put this sucker to bed on the niagara frontier. Unless this sticks around longer than expected, I should end up with a storm total of about 5 inches of snow and 1-2 inches of sleet. Even though the storm was a disappointment, the snow pack in my area is still pretty impressive with all the recent light to moderate events and consistenly cold air.

I am really hoping that we can avoid the thaw JB is advertizing for after Valentine's Day. I wan tto build our snowpack!

So how much have Ottawa and Montreal received as of now?

For Ottawa, if I had to take a guess (and it would be a very rough guess...too much wind), as measured on a driveway where the effect of the wind was not too much, I would say 15-20 cms (6-8 inches), give or take, The couple of hours of thumping we got in the morning certainly helped a lot, and it's picked up again.

I am really hoping that we can avoid the thaw JB is advertizing for after Valentine's Day. I wan tto build our snowpack!

I think the thaw would be more pronounced to our south. He did say in the video that it would be a thaw relative to normal, so since our temperatures are typically -5 to -6 as highs, I don't think it should make too much of a difference.

For Ottawa, if I had to take a guess (and it would be a very rough guess...too much wind), as measured on a driveway where the effect of the wind was not too much, I would say 15-20 cms (6-8 inches), give or take, The couple of hours of thumping we got in the morning certainly helped a lot, and it's picked up again.

My guestimate is around 20cms or 8".

No kidding. Snowing dendrites here! :weight_lift:

Hey, that guy from the accuweather forums whose forecast I shared with you yesterday. He might not have been far off! :thumbsup:

we will have to see what the final totals are.

for some reason the obs at ottawa int'l airport havent been that impressive aside for a couple hours.

obviosly the radar told a different story though.

theyve done this before, where the obs arent impressive but the snowfall comes out accurate.

nobody does it better than them when it comes to measuring snow.

First time post (I'm a lurker) but why do you believe anything that JB says to begin with? He's the one who originally said winter is over after december, coldest january in 10 billion years, cats will turn into dogs tomorrow, and Syracuse will go undefeated in the Big East conference.

4.3" for Part I, 1.0" for Part II. 5.3" total, maybe another inch this evening and tonight.

Not much snow, not much sleet (maybe 0.3-0.4") and not much ice (glaze at the most). A bit of rain this morning.

16" of snow on the ground and and the freezing rain/rain didn't do anything to it. Rock solid snowpack.

LMAOOOO

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

302 PM EST WED FEB 2 2011

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A LAKE

EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM EST

THURSDAY.

* LOCATIONS: CAYUGA... ONONDAGA... MADISON... CORTLAND AND

TOMPKINS COUNTIES.

* HAZARDS: LAKE EFFECT SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 3 TO 5 INCHES.

700 CLOUDS FOR SYRACUSE! :scooter:

Archived