CHSVol
Feb 1-2 Upstate NY / North Country Major Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RUC for the win!

its normally too far west but with a storm this intense, it nailed it

for hi-res short term modeling, the RGEM actually did outstanding wrt to the low passing N and W and the dryslot also.....i remember 48 hrs ago it had the low near the SW tip of lake erie and couldnt believe it when the euro came on board yesterday.

the NAM was a terrible dissapointment......this type of feedback cyclogenesis the NAM should excel at.....but it was awful awful :thumbsdown:

Who knows, maybe it'll be like February 13th, 1993 and it'll just keep snowing. Interestingly, i lived in Toronto for that storm and we got only 12 cm (5") while Ottawa got 37cm.

February 1993 Ottawa: http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=XX&StationID=4337&Year=1993&Month=2&Day=1 (note how the month started with a simlar snow depth to this month!)

February 1993 Toronto: http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=XX&StationID=5097&Year=1993&Month=2&Day=1 lol I guess it was a little less than 12cm!

Just took me a jebwalk--

Better detailed report. Must have flipped to all snow shortly after I went to sleep. Looks like between 2.5 and 3 inches fell at that time. It did go to all sleet and freezing rain after and there is about a .3 inch crust on top of sleet and snow.

Call storm total 9 inches---

Just took me a jebwalk--

Better detailed report. Must have flipped to all snow shortly after I went to sleep. Looks like between 2.5 and 3 inches fell at that time. It did go to all sleet and freezing rain after and there is about a .3 inch crust on top of sleet and snow.

Call storm total 9 inches---

is that the 2 day total?

Huge disappointment, I must say, in Spencer, NY. Andy seemed to me to be hinting at lower QPF's than the models were showing for a couple of days...I appreciate his honesty and now I'm just banking on Saturday or next Tuesday! Plus, we did get about 3 inches last night, so it wasn't a complete disaster.

there were some thunder reports earlier with the bands crossing around fort erie

yeah i think the amount of convection with this storm from the midwest to the dryslot instability areas....was pretty darn impressive, really stood out for me.

ottawa is getting absolutely raked but the dryslot is fast approaching.....it needs to collpase back southeast soon.

yeah i think the amount of convection with this storm from the midwest to the dryslot instability areas....was pretty darn impressive, really stood out for me.

ottawa is getting absolutely raked but the dryslot is fast approaching.....it needs to collpase back southeast soon.

What are the chances that it does?

Archived