534 PM EST WED FEB 2 2011

NYZ047-051>054-058>061-063>065-022315-

WESTERN ALBANY NY-EASTERN COLUMBIA NY-WESTERN COLUMBIA NY-

EASTERN GREENE NY-WESTERN GREENE NY-EASTERN ULSTER NY-

WESTERN DUTCHESS NY-WESTERN ULSTER NY-SCHOHARIE NY-

WESTERN RENSSELAER NY-EASTERN RENSSELAER NY-EASTERN ALBANY NY-

534 PM EST WED FEB 2 2011

...A SNOW SQUALL PRODUCING THUNDER IN

SCHOHARIE COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK...

ALBANY COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK...

COLUMBIA COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK...

GREENE COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK...

ULSTER COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK...

DUTCHESS COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK...

RENSSELAER COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK...

AT 525 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING NEAR WHITE OUT

CONDITIONS...GUSTY WINDS...THUNDER AND LIGHTNING. THIS STORM WAS

LOCATED NEAR PRATTSVILLE...OR ABOUT 11 MILES NORTHWEST OF

HUNTER...AND MOVING EAST AT 35 MPH.

THE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR...

6 MILES NORTH OF HUNTER BY 540 PM EST

NORTH-SOUTH LAKE CAMPGROUND BY 555 PM EST

HIGH FALLS BY 605 PM EST

CATSKILL...HUDSON AND ATHENS BY 610 PM EST

CLAVERACK...LIVINGSTON AND 9 MILES NORTH OF CLERMONT BY 615 PM EST

THIS IS A DANGEROUS STORM. PEOPLE OUTSIDE SHOULD MOVE TO A SHELTER...

PREFERABLY INSIDE A STRONG BUILDING BUT AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

Why do I live along the mountain when you keep getting more snow than me? :axe: And I know you aren't inflating your totals because the less you get the more you can stick it to the boss.............................

You're in the shadow zone this year. You wind up with 5-6 or 7 today? I have to investigate round 1 total..my wife relayed the info to me and said 3.5..my son apparently took the measurement and said 2.5..my wife stands by "I was told 3.5" my son's in denial. I think the rack will be taken out so I that I can get to the bottom of the truth...

You're in the shadow zone this year. You wind up with 5-6 or 7 today? I have to investigate round 1 total..my wife relayed the info to me and said 3.5..my son apparently took the measurement and said 2.5..my wife stands by "I was told 3.5" my son's in denial. I think the rack will be taken out so I that I can get to the bottom of the truth...

Just under 7. That includes what is coming down in this latest batch ( taken 5 min ago)How the he** did Gansevort get 11.5

just got back from a Jebwalk

defintely a nice surprise today

tough to say exactly how much because of the blowing but id estimate 8-10 so far still snowing nice sized dendrites now.

drift in spots anywhere from 2.5 feet on my front path, to as much as 4.5 feet in one spot i saw.....that surprised me. :snowman:

will wait for official measurements but snowpack is looking delightful this evening.

just got back from a Jebwalk

defintely a nice surprise today

tough to say exactly how much because of the blowing but id estimate 8-10 so far still snowing nice sized dendrites now.

drift in spots anywhere from 2.5 feet on my front path, to as much as 4.5 feet in one spot i saw.....that surprised me. :snowman:

will wait for official measurements but snowpack is looking delightful this evening.

Amazing snow band just went through. Big fluffy flakes, acumulating well on the roads and sidewalks. Just an amazing storm when you consider what the models had us getting a few days ago. I'd say our snowpack is approaching 2 feet if it hasn't surpassed it already. :weight_lift:

I bet it is 2 feet or a bit more in the unblown areas. I'll check it out later.

So how much have Ottawa and Montreal received as of now?

Bit of a bust I'm afraid - according to EC at 3 p.m. we had 9 cm. in Ottawa. In my driveway it was probably closer to 12 (i.e. less than 6 inches).

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2011/02/02/17131306.html

Bit of a bust I'm afraid - according to EC at 3 p.m. we had 9 cm. in Ottawa. In my driveway it was probably closer to 12 (i.e. less than 6 inches).

http://www.ottawasun...2/17131306.html

No way that we only received 11cm. No way. I honestly don't know how EC takes their measurements. If we only received 11cm, then I don't know how we managed the 50cm in March 2008.

I guess we'll find out more tomorrow ottawablizzard. I think the drifting made it awfully difficult to get a true sense of how much has come down.

Even without the drifting, i had to shovel twice today. I don't know, call me paranoid, but I sometimes think these agencies downplay the totals just so they can say, "see, we don't get snow like we used to".

thier obs at Ottawa Airport were very unusual today....i almost felt as if there sensor was off.

i wonder if thats an automated snowfall count (is there such a thing?)

my parents who are very reliable said there is about 7-8 inches/20cm in south ottawa a bit ago, and they are near the airport.

i see EC didnt report ottawa's total it in their speacial weather statement at 3pm.....so we will have to wait till tomorrow to see what they say. ive seen them adjust, again they are usually excellent with snowfall.

perhaps my original 4-8 will verify after all. :lol: ....but i hope they get right!

and yeah, drifting can certainly cause issues Carlk.

welcome to the board btw :thumbsup:

thier obs at Ottawa Airport were very unusual today....i almost felt as if there sensor was off.

i wonder if thats an automated snowfall count (is there such a thing?)

my parents who are very reliable said there is about 7-8 inches/20cm in south ottawa a bit ago, and they are near the airport.

i see EC didnt report ottawa's total it in their speacial weather statement at 3pm.....so we will have to wait till tomorrow to see what they say. ive seen them adjust, again they are usually excellent with snowfall.

perhaps my original 4-8 will verify after all. :lol: ....but i hope they get right!

and yeah, drifting can certainly cause issues Carlk.

welcome to the board btw :thumbsup:

I'd say I received between 6 and 8" of snow today and it's still coming down.

By the way, I gather a cold shot is coming next week. Does Ottawa have a shot of one more 0F day? I realize those are rarer in February, but they can happen. Hopefully we get a few more storms too. It looks like a SE ridge is developing. Perhaps this is what Bastardi means when he mentions a warm up after Valentines? Bad for the MA, but good for us further north?

I'd say I received between 6 and 8" of snow today and it's still coming down.

By the way, I gather a cold shot is coming next week. Does Ottawa have a shot of one more 0F day? I realize those are rarer in February, but they can happen. Hopefully we get a few more storms too. It looks like a SE ridge is developing. Perhaps this is what Bastardi means when he mentions a warm up after Valentines? Bad for the MA, but good for us further north?

Se ridge is fine for us

there is the potential for a cold shot next week defintely, but its not in stone.

in terms of extreme temps, i believe that february is the coldest temps ever recorded in our region......mid february can defintely be brutal coldwise.....

i mentioned in the main thread, we will have our storm chances if the PV wants to cooperate.

Oh we're talking about snow depth?

Yeah......I walked through the backyard with the ladder to get some snow off the roof edge and the depth averaged just below my knees. And yes, you got a bit over an inch more than me for the combined last 2 days...........But your inch more here and there is starting to add up :gun_bandana:

this was issued at 559pm so it implies > 6 inches falling and up to 12 in spots, and includes CYOW

Ottawa South - Richmond - Metcalfe

5:59 PM EST Wednesday 02 February 2011

Winter storm warning for

Ottawa South - Richmond - Metcalfe continued

Snow and local blowing snow into this evening.

The major storm which was affected the lower Great Lakes is tracking northeast into New England this evening. Most of the snow has tapered off to occasional flurries or light snow over all but far Eastern Ontario. Widespread total snowfall amounts of 15 to 20 centimetres with local 30 are likely by the time the snow ends this evening.

This is a warning that dangerous winter weather conditions are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

This winter storm is having a major impact on travel with residual blowing and drifting snow. Motorists should be prepared to change plans accordingly to avoid unnecessary travel.

i guess we will have to wait for official records

Archived