• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 1-2 Upstate NY / North Country Major Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

I am convinced that any LP's coming in from the E. TX, LA area, moving NNE ward, occlude faster than any models ever anticipate, which allows for the midlevel baroclinicity to scream NE'ward. The CAD signature was actually a detriment to (and is very often the case) channeling the tongue of WAA to the west, punching well northward into the OV and eastern GL's. For whatever reason(s) the models consistently underestimate many parameters in these similar synoptic setups that lead to such a horrible, horrible error for our region.

The under modeled convection to the south didn't help matters either, wrt the qpf up this way......

Bad day for mets for many parts of the OV and Upstate regions.

And a potential for a follow up "bust" this weekend....maybe in reverse!! LOL!

thanks for the learning moment

how much have you gotten in total?

i think this widespread 1-2.5 foot amounts being tossed around by other mets and NWS offices was a big byproduct of the FEMA hype.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am convinced that any LP's coming in from the E. TX, LA area, moving NNE ward, occlude faster than any models ever anticipate, which allows for the midlevel baroclinicity to scream NE'ward. The CAD signature was actually a detriment to (and is very often the case) channeling the tongue of WAA to the west, punching well northward into the OV and eastern GL's. For whatever reason(s) the models consistently underestimate many parameters in these similar synoptic setups that lead to such a horrible, horrible error for our region.

The under modeled convection to the south didn't help matters either, wrt the qpf up this way......

Bad day for mets for many parts of the OV and Upstate regions.

And a potential for a follow up "bust" this weekend....maybe in reverse!! LOL!

We've been talking about SAT event for a while now...next Tuesday (Mon Night) looks potent too.

I was also looking at the gridded data from Earl barker's Page and in WINGRIDDS and again the winds above 850 were stacked SW with speed increasing in height..also the RH forcasts were juiced 850 down by the time you got to H7 they were below 70 percent bh H5 the RH was in the 30s....

Bigger flakes now. Really strong winds. Almost looks a bit like December 2007

in some ways it does....recall how cold it was in the leadup to that storm as well. got to love when WAA mixes with this kind of deep cold

if you look at radar, the intensity of snow and wind in patches is definitely as strong as dec 07....difference being that dec 07 had the epic superband of sustained intensity for 5 hours.

in some ways it does....recall how cold it was in the leadup to that storm as well. got to love when WAA mixes with this kind of deep cold

if you look at radar, the intensity of snow and wind in patches is definitely as strong as dec 07....difference being that dec 07 had the epic superband of sustained intensity for 5 hours.

well, hopefully we get snow like this for at least a couple of hours more. Still can't believe we're getting more than Toronto. Schools closed across Toronto, as is York University. Better safe than sorry I guess.

well, hopefully we get snow like this for at least a couple of hours more. Still can't believe we're getting more than Toronto. Schools closed across Toronto, as is York University. Better safe than sorry I guess.

it should snow quite well until around noon and then lighten up but as long as we dont get slotted, it should keep snowing.

i dont even know, how much did they get in toronto?

gotta check on Canucks reports when i get a moment.

it should snow quite well until around noon and then lighten up but as long as we dont get slotted, it should keep snowing.

Who knows, maybe it'll be like February 13th, 1993 and it'll just keep snowing. Interestingly, i lived in Toronto for that storm and we got only 12 cm (5") while Ottawa got 37cm.

Did the blizzard warnings verify for London?:popcorn:

Archived