• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Hudson Valley Thread Part 2

snywx

The back edge could stop it's move east, which would match the RUC and HRRR, we just don't know yet. It's just more comforting when the edge is up by BGM.

Upton just went to a warning for Orange but I am still getting to sleep :pimp:

To your point, it matchs the 0Z NAM as well. Orange does well and Sully gets shut down .

One of the cats knocked my glasses off the table and I stepped on them with my boots. I am typing blind :axe:

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upton just went to a warning for Orange but I am still getting to sleep :pimp:

To your point, it matchs the 0Z NAM was well. Orange does well and Sully gets shut down

Me too goin to bed. Have a good nite all.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

952 PM EST WED JAN 26 2011

...WINTER STORM WILL BRING ANOTHER ROUND OF HEAVY SNOWFALL TO

THE TRI-STATE AREA OVERNIGHT...

NYZ067-068-271100-

/O.UPG.KOKX.WW.Y.0005.000000T0000Z-110127T1100Z/

/O.EXA.KOKX.WS.W.0004.000000T0000Z-110127T1100Z/

ORANGE-PUTNAM-

952 PM EST WED JAN 26 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM

WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST THURSDAY.

THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...ORANGE AND PUTNAM COUNTIES.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 10 INCHES...HIGHEST ACROSS EASTERN ORANGE

AND SOUTHERN PUTNAM.

* TIMING...LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW...BECOMING A STEADY MODERATE TO

HEAVY SNOW BY LATE EVENING...TAPERING OFF TO FLURRIES IN THE

PRE-DAWN HOURS.

<br /><br /><br />

Monroe-Woodbury area is a snow magnet... I swear lol.. I lived in that area for 13 yrs and its pretty impressive the enhancement that goes on in that area.. it isnt a coincidence that that area comes in with the highest amounts 9 times out of 10..

When i tell people i'm in a good spot, for whatever reason, for good snows here in Harriman they look at me like i am crazy or something. Now i know i'm not the only one that thinks this. I usually have the high end of snow amts for the area.

<br />When i tell people i'm in a good spot, for whatever reason, for good snows here in Harriman they look at me like i am crazy or something. Now i know i'm not the only one that thinks this. I usually have the high end of snow amts for the area.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Most ppl I know who live in the Monroe area know its a "sweet spot".. My folks live on the SE slope of Schnemunck Mtn in Highland Mills and they consistently get dumped on.

<br /><br /><br />

Most ppl I know who live in the Monroe area know its a "sweet spot".. My folks live on the SE slope of Schnemunck Mtn in Highland Mills and they consistently get dumped on.

The people that question it are mostly coastal people.

The people that question it are mostly coastal people.

LOL! So true. But we can attest to it. Its like this area is some kind of snow funnel for whatever reason. In any event its awesome and it is pouring snow here- of course: ) speaking of harriman- How great is Angelo's over there! Awesome food.

LOL! So true. But we can attest to it. Its like this area is some kind of snow funnel for whatever reason. In any event its awesome and it is pouring snow here- of course: ) speaking of harriman- How great is Angelo's over there! Awesome food.

Yes the food is great. Snow is not as heavy as earlier, when the flakes were huge and near whiteout conditions,still moderate and blowing around, just about 7"

Aaiieeeeh :weight_lift: Minimum 10 but might be closer to twelve. The wind kinda got ahold of it and moved it around pretty good. Three hours shoveling starting at 10pm :thumbsdown: Had to do an A job because things were getting kinda sloppy. Should be good to go for more on Friday and Saturday now :thumbsup:

The drive home from the city was a kick! I left SOHO at 7 and got home a little after 9. When I left the city there was thunder and lightning so I had to stop at Dunkin Donuts in the south Bronx and watch the show for a few minutes :whistle: By the time I got to the Zoo the road was completely covered and it was sleeting to beat the band, had to open the window to check it out and IT HURT. Over the next twenty miles I saw everything from torrential downpouring rain at 28* while pounding snow and sleet to blinding sideways snow and deer wandering around in the middle of the Taconic while cars slid into snowbanks to miss them.

NYC got crushed!

Unbelievable. On the one hand, clean up was relativley easy for me this morning although I'll have to cut down some of my piles over the weekend to make room for the rest of winter, so I'm not jeaolus of having to shovel 18" of wet snow. On the other hand, I know that we keep saying this but it really is unreal the amount of big storms they have had down there over the past two years. At least this year we've been close enough, and it's been cold enough, to build up the snow pack around here.

:snowman:

Unbelievable. On the one hand, clean up was relativley easy for me this morning although I'll have to cut down some of my piles over the weekend to make room for the rest of winter, so I'm not jeaolus of having to shovel 18" of wet snow. On the other hand, I know that we keep saying this but it really is unreal the amount of big storms they have had down there over the past two years. At least this year we've been close enough, and it's been cold enough, to build up the snow pack around here.

:snowman:

Agreed, this year has been far better than last winter... We have been getting in on all these storms, but just not the jackpot (yet) - Plenty of time to go though. It looks amazing outsideSnowman.gif

With this active pattern we are in there has to be a storm coming with us in the "sweet spot". It's the law of averages. It has been unbelievable for NYC, they got like 15" in a 6 hour time period. Those are usually our ratios. Next time.

I measured 3 late last night and picked up another 3.5 after that for a total of 6.5. I have to clear the roof Saturday too much ice and snow up there.

My roof is too high and steep for me to even think about that but the steepness helps to keep the snowpack up there in check. You reminded me of something though, my parents have a one story ranch and my brother and I would shovel that roof off from time to time. By the end of the 93-94 winter we didn't need a ladder to get on the roof anymore, we could simply walk onto it from the snow pile :snowman::snowman:

My roof is too high and steep for me to even think about that but the steepness helps to keep the snowpack up there in check. You reminded me of something though, my parents have a one story ranch and my brother and I would shovel that roof off from time to time. By the end of the 93-94 winter we didn't need a ladder to get on the roof anymore, we could simply walk onto it from the snow pile :snowman::snowman:

Roof Rake FTW I'm not getting up on it, I want to see next week intact :P

Cool story, I wasn't up here then, how much did you get? I remeber the guys at work who lived here talking about it.

Roof Rake FTW I'm not getting up on it, I want to see next week intact :P

Cool story, I wasn't up here then, how much did you get? I remeber the guys at work who lived here talking about it.

I wish I could tell you but I didn't keep any weather records back then and boy do I kick myself in the ass over that! I was busy in college and my parents used to write totals on their calendars but I discovered that they weren't the most accurate as they only wrote down the totals that they felt were worthy. My father had more details on his work calendar but I know that each event isn't recorded. In 96 I know we went over 100" which was more than 94 but 96 had the warm second half of January which killed the snowpack.

Uptom. To early to take it seriously but the bolded part would be something :arrowhead:

LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...

ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE REGION MONDAY RETREATS AS SOUTHERN

SYSTEM BEGINS TO DEVELOP OVER THE SOUTHWEST AND TRACK EAST TO

NORTHEAST. ARCTIC AIR REMAINS OVER THE AREA TUESDAY WITH A CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION MOVING INTO THE AREA BY LATER TUESDAY AS INCREASING

ISENTROPIC LIFT DEVELOP WELL AHEAD OF THE WARM FRONT.

ECMWF IS SLOWER AND FARTHER WEST WITH THE INITIAL LOW AND THEN

DEVELOPING THE COASTAL LOW A LITTLE FARTHER TO THE WEST WEDNESDAY.

AS HAS BEEN THE CASE DURING THE LAST FEW STORMS ECMWF STARTS OFF

WARMER THAN OTHER MODELS. GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN IS A LITTLE FASTER AND

FARTHER TO THE SOUTH WITH THE INITIAL LOW WEDNESDAY...THEN DEVELOPS

THE COASTAL LOW SOUTH OF THE AREA WEDNESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

THIS IS A COLDER SOLUTION...AND WITH ARCTIC HIGH TO THE NORTH PREFER

USING A BLEND OF THE HPC GUIDANCE AND GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN. WITH

CURRENT THINKING WILL SEE WINTRY MIX IN PORTIONS OF THE AREA WITH

SNOW INLAND BEGINNING TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND CONTINUING INTO THURSDAY

MORNING. THERE IS STILL A LOT OF UNCERTAINTY IN THE TRACK AND

TIMING OF THE LOW AND CONFIDENCE REMAINS LOW. LIKELY TO BE CHANGES

TO THE FORECAST DURING THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.

I'll be doing it tomorrow. Going to try and pull some snow off the roof edge. Gutters on the north side are packed with ice. Been frozen for some time now.

I use a roof rake to get the snow back a foot or so from the edge of the roof above my driveway after each storm. STILL, with this incredibly cold month my gutters are entirely chock full of ice which leaves a nice ice slick on the driveway. So, tonight I took a 25' pole, added a coffee can at the end of it, filled the can with rock salt, and poured it right on top of the ice slick all the way down the length of the gutter. I've done that occasionally in past winters & it's worked great. My neighbor asked me tonight if he could use my contraption on his gutters. Hopefully by morning my gutters will be empty. It's amazing this year though. The entire 25'+ downspout is chock full of ice. unreal. I put so much salt along the gutter though, that it should take care of it. It's a nice way of ruining metal gutters though. If you do it, make sure you don't use a lot of salt when there's very little snow on the roof. I'm not concerned this time with all the snow on the roof, it'll dilute all the salt before the snow melts away up there.

I use a roof rake to get the snow back a foot or so from the edge of the roof above my driveway after each storm. STILL, with this incredibly cold month my gutters are entirely chock full of ice which leaves a nice ice slick on the driveway. So, tonight I took a 25' pole, added a coffee can at the end of it, filled the can with rock salt, and poured it right on top of the ice slick all the way down the length of the gutter. I've done that occasionally in past winters & it's worked great. My neighbor asked me tonight if he could use my contraption on his gutters. Hopefully by morning my gutters will be empty. It's amazing this year though. The entire 25'+ downspout is chock full of ice. unreal. I put so much salt along the gutter though, that it should take care of it. It's a nice way of ruining metal gutters though. If you do it, make sure you don't use a lot of salt when there's very little snow on the roof. I'm not concerned this time with all the snow on the roof, it'll dilute all the salt before the snow melts away up there.

Good idea with the rock salt. :thumbsup: Think i'll try it. I disconnected the lower extension of the gutter that was frozen solid and banged the downspout and cleared it out. The roof gutters are frozen solid. I drove around town and thre are alot of folks with the same situation.

Archived