e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The Hudson Valley Thread Part 2

snywx

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2.38" for me. One of the local roads along the Wallkill was flooded this morning, the river was also close to NYS 416 but hadn't reached it yet. I have a feeling it will reach NYS 416 on Thursday....:raining:

Some of the field areas along I-84 in the middletown area looked like lakes this morning. Along route 209 south of Milford in the park, there was runoff flooding the road out in areas. It's going not to be fun when this runoff freezes tonight.

06z GFS prints out over 5" of QPF for the next event. :flood:

http://www.meteor.ia...=gfsm&site=kswf

HPC's 12z 5day QPF map.

http://www.hpc.ncep....qpf/p120i12.gif

There was a decent list of road closures in Orange County yesterday, I'm sure at least some of those roads are open now but come Friday I have a feeling the closure list could be rather long....

FLOOD WATCH

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

408 AM EST FRI MAR 11 2011

...ANOTHER ROUND OF HEAVY RAINFALL...

.LOW PRESSURE AND ITS ASSOCIATED FRONTAL SYSTEM WILL SLOWLY MOVE

ACROSS THE AREA THIS MORNING BRINGING HEAVY RAINFALL. THIS WILL

EXACERBATE THE HIGH WATER LEVELS ACROSS AREA RIVERS AND STREAMS.

CTZ005-006-009-010-NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067>071-112200-

/O.CON.KOKX.FA.A.0004.000000T0000Z-110311T2300Z/

/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-NORTHERN NEW HAVEN-SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD-

SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN-WESTERN PASSAIC-EASTERN PASSAIC-HUDSON-

WESTERN BERGEN-EASTERN BERGEN-WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-

WESTERN UNION-EASTERN UNION-ORANGE-PUTNAM-ROCKLAND-

NORTHERN WESTCHESTER-SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER-

408 AM EST FRI MAR 11 2011

...FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON...

THE FLOOD WATCH CONTINUES FOR

* PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT...NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND

SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING AREAS...IN

SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT...NORTHERN FAIRFIELD...NORTHERN NEW

HAVEN...SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD AND SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN. IN

NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...EASTERN BERGEN...EASTERN ESSEX...

EASTERN PASSAIC...EASTERN UNION...HUDSON...WESTERN BERGEN...

WESTERN ESSEX...WESTERN PASSAIC AND WESTERN UNION. IN

SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...NORTHERN WESTCHESTER...ORANGE...PUTNAM...

ROCKLAND AND SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER.

* THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON

* CUMULATIVE RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE

THROUGH THIS MORNING. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS OF 6 INCHES ARE

ALSO FEASIBLE.

* DUE TO THE RECENT HEAVY RAINFALL...MANY RIVERS AND STREAMS ARE

AT HIGH LEVELS. THIS COMBINED WITH SATURATED SOIL WILL RESULT

IN HIGH RUNOFF RATES WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR MODERATE TO MAJOR

FLOODING. THIS IS A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SITUATION.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FLOOD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FLOODING BASED ON

CURRENT FORECASTS. YOU SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE

ALERT FOR POSSIBLE FLOOD WARNINGS. THOSE LIVING IN AREAS PRONE TO

FLOODING SHOULD BE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION SHOULD FLOODING

DEVELOP.

Back in the saddle again after being sick since friday.

Hey Rob, @ 8pm the Walkill is at about 9.5 feet. Do you have problems with the river if it floods?

Fortunatley for me it doesn't give me any problems, my house is about 40-50 feet higher than the river and set back 200-300 feet. 1.73" here, less tha nexpected IMBY, which is good but theres still a lot of water from upstream that needs to move through here. I'm guessing that NYS 416 will be closed at some point and possibly County 99 (Neelytown Rd) as well.

Somehow the heavy rain kept bypassing me - with the exception of the few hour long squall line right at the end. Doppler estimate has us around .8 to an inch - much less than it could have been. Still full snowcover...over a foot in the woods easily. 39 and dense fog currently.

Fortunatley for me it doesn't give me any problems, my house is about 40-50 feet higher than the river and set back 200-300 feet. 1.73" here, less tha nexpected IMBY, which is good but theres still a lot of water from upstream that needs to move through here. I'm guessing that NYS 416 will be closed at some point and possibly County 99 (Neelytown Rd) as well.

Quite a few schools closed/delayed due to flooding in the Catskills run off towns of Ulster and Greene counties. Doppler estimate of 3 to 4 inches in parts of the Catskills.

Flooding along parts of the Schoharie Creek near here - that flows north out of the Catskills (starts below Hunter). Ultimately that dumps into the Mohawk and things usually flood in the stockade section of Schenectady, etc.

On route 209 in Pa. it was closed from Dingmans Ferry on south thru Bushkill. Real mess over that way along the Deleware river.

I root for the snow cover to last as deep into March as possible because the alternative is a mud hell with our soil. March is a useless month unless it snows. Maybe it gets nice in April...but sometimes not in La Nina years.

I still have a couple of patches in the woods with a couple inches but thats it, after this rain my yard is finally complelty snow free.

The forecasted crest at Gardiner is 5 feet lower than what was forecasted yesterday so that's good news.

I was in contract for a house off of Stony Ford Road on a private road. the back of the property included fedeal wetlands and the river bank. Dispite the owners insistance that the house or the land never flooded. It broke my heart but I backed out when I reviewed the Fed Flood Zone maps. I knew that during a week like this, I'd be a basket case of nerves.

We had 1.76 here.

I was in contract for a house off of Stony Ford Road on a private road. the back of the property included fedeal wetlands and the river bank. Dispite the owners insistance that the house or the land never flooded. It broke my heart but I backed out when I reviewed the Fed Flood Zone maps. I knew that during a week like this, I'd be a basket case of nerves.

We had 1.76 here.

I think that you made the right call with the house on Stoney Ford......unless you really like moats.

2.43" for the event. I can't understand 2 observations on rain totals. All within 3 miles as the crow flies from me and measuring over an inch more than me. Wonder if my gauge is off somehow.

I noticed this in general in recent years and with all readings, not just the rain gauge. I think the cause is all of the cheap weather stations readily available. I know that my Old Man has one of these and always reports his totals to me and from what I can tell it's usually off, usually inflated a bit in his case. I've mentioned to him that he should get a traditional rain gauge for comparison purposes but he's not into it all that much.

I noticed this in general in recent years and with all readings, not just the rain gauge. I think the cause is all of the cheap weather stations readily available. I know that my Old Man has one of these and always reports his totals to me and from what I can tell it's usually off, usually inflated a bit in his case. I've mentioned to him that he should get a traditional rain gauge for comparison purposes but he's not into it all that much.

I'm thinking about getting this http://www.weatheryourway.com/cocorahs/rgcoco.htm

even rain gauges can give different totals depending on construction and placement.

I have the Vantage Pro2 wireless. Looking at the other surrounding readings.....it looks like other readings around my vicinity average mine...so i think the two other readings are wrong.

I'm thinking about getting this http://www.weatheryo...rahs/rgcoco.htm

even rain gauges can give different totals depending on construction and placement.

I may pick this up. Thanks for the link.

Archived