12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
End of January "clipper" threat

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GGEM has the minor front runner too (Thu/Fri).

The follow up stronger system dives in at 1000mb around INL and goes just to the south of GRB (1005mb) to north of GRR (1010mb) and then around the BUF area at 1012mb.

I've been neglecting this event for the most part but it's looking better and better for some light accumulations.

Okay, I have question or two. I depend on you guys here to interpret the models since I don't have good understanding of the science and dynamics. Here is the NAM depiction of the clipper at 84 hrs:

And the GFS:

Obviously, the NAM depicts the stronger solution. It is more wound up and wetter. This also would explain the slower progression and warmer temps being pumped up into IL and WI.

Question #1: What do I look for that could account for this discrepancy in solutions?

Question #2: Which solution is more likely to verify?

Question #3: Extrapolating the NAM, would it take a more northerly track than the GFS in this setup since it is stronger?

Question #4:What effect, if any, could the first "mini clipper" have on the strength/track of this stronger system?

I am just trying to learn some basics here. Thanks to anyone that wants to take the time to answer my questions.

As an aside, I feel that myself, the ORD and CMH crews are in a good position to be in the sweet spot due to the model trends this winter to adjust south after this time frame.

Okay, I have question or two. I depend on you guys here to interpret the models since I don't have good understanding of the science and dynamics. Here is the NAM depiction of the clipper at 84 hrs:

Obviously, the NAM depicts the stronger solution. It is more wound up and wetter. This also would explain the slower progression and warmer temps being pumped up into IL and WI.

Question #1: What do I look for that could account for this discrepancy in solutions?

Question #2: Which solution is more likely to verify?

Question #3: Extrapolating the NAM, would it take a more northerly track than the GFS in this setup since it is stronger?

Question #4:What effect, if any, could the first "mini clipper" have on the strength/track of this stronger system?

I am just trying to learn some basics here. Thanks to anyone that wants to take the time to answer my questions.

As an aside, I feel that myself, the ORD and CMH crews are in a good position to be in the sweet spot due to the model trends this winter to adjust south after this time frame.

#1: The NAM is stronger (and slower) at 500 with a closed low dropping down versus the "weaker" GFS...resulting in a much stronger surface reflection.

nam_500_084s.gif

gfs_500_084s.gif

#2: The NAM is all on its own versus the other guidance. Probably a little :weenie: ish, but the NAM seems to like to over-amplify on this time range. I'd trust it very little right now.

#3: Yes.

#4: It could limit the strength of the second bigger piece. Typically hard to get something going when there are multiple waves every other day dropping down from Canada.

Archived