• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion

CAD_Wedge_NC

Yep, and 2004. In 2002 we had a 10"+ event, it's the years in between where we get an inch or less that brings our averages down. Also, it's been since 2004 since we had over 10" in a season, which is our longest stretch ever I believe. We typically average 3 10"+ seasons every 10 years.

You know your area better than I but what about 2009/2010 ? 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You said no SE ridge this winter.

a few weeks don't make a whole winter does it? the se ridge will not stop our winter. i will stick bye that  thanks .we normally don't see much snow in dec no way the winter is young an can last 2an half more months, so know what u talking about before talking about my forcast .  the facts in book says the pattern in jan an feb will be much diffrent ? 

Keep an eye on future runs for what the GFS is showing around hour 180. Right now it has three pieces of energy kind of aligned but too much separation for a big phase.  Either way it is showing another chance of snow around 192. So the good news is the GFS is showing multiple chances for wintry weather. Can't be upset at that. That is the type of pattern we want to be in. Rinse and repeat. The big question will be about how cold it actually gets and can that support what we want. 

a few weeks don't make a whole winter does it? the se ridge will not stop our winter. i will stick bye that  thanks .we normally don't see much snow in dec no way the winter is young an can last 2an half more months, so know what u talking about before talking about my forcast .  the facts in book says the pattern in jan an feb will be much diffrent ? 

Well it certainly helped stop last winter. 

Western ridging not as sharp on the 00z GFS for the Jan 2 system...looks like it may try to spit out a bit of precip, but probably not much

definitely more blocking showing up though, it has yet to sort some things out for sure.

a few weeks don't make a whole winter does it? the se ridge will not stop our winter. i will stick bye that thanks .we normally don't see much snow in dec no way the winter is young an can last 2an half more months, so know what u talking about before talking about my forcast . the facts in book says the pattern in jan an feb will be much diffrent ?

Lol yes it will. Did it snow in December? Hell no. We don't see much snow in January or February either. Not sure what facts or book you are talking about, but the same pattern that caused the record heat this month can happen again next month.

Lol yes it will. Did it snow in December? Hell no. We don't see much snow in January or February either. Not sure what facts or book you are talking about, but the same pattern that caused the record heat this month can happen again next month.

the facts of the book i said before winter started , the postive pdo an solar max connection .this connection affects the south east in jan an feb an that is a fact of the book . it snowed in places in nov an that type of pattern is now repeating in jan . see me  after the winter is over we see who was right ?

It didn't stop last winter .It started later Feb through April were cold .Not much snow at all here in the SE but cold it was.

Last winter was horrible and I was one of the few posters on this board that actually saw snow. It was god awful due to a positive NAO and a very stubborn SE ridge. To claim the SE ridge didn't hurt us almost all of last winter is a bit silly. 

Keep an eye on future runs for what the GFS is showing around hour 180. Right now it has three pieces of energy kind of aligned but too much separation for a big phase.  Either way it is showing another chance of snow around 192. So the good news is the GFS is showing multiple chances for wintry weather. Can't be upset at that. That is the type of pattern we want to be in. Rinse and repeat. The big question will be about how cold it actually gets and can that support what we want.

We get ten potential shortwaves and one works out, but I'll take it.

We get ten potential shortwaves and one works out, but I'll take it.

Yea if I had a dollar for every time we we're hoping for a phase or for energy to dig south west enough I would probably have an extra $400 in the bank right now. Given the last two winters it's hard not to look at the past few runs of the GFS and not at least get somewhat excited. Just wish it was hour 80 instead of 180. 

the facts of the book i said before winter started , the postive pdo an solar max connection .this connection affects the south east in jan an feb an that is a fact of the book . it snowed in places in nov an that type of pattern is now repeating in jan . see me after the winter is over we see who was right ?

Why does this PDOSMC only affect the SE in January or February? The EPO has been in control so far this winter. Not sure where this solar max connection is coming in from. Sounds worse than SSW events. Also snow in November has no correlation with how the rest of the Winter, and I will definitely want to see you after this winter is over.

Why does this PDOSMC only affect the SE in January or February? The EPO has been in control so far this winter. Not sure where this solar max connection is coming in from. Sounds worse than SSW events. Also snow in November has no correlation with how the rest of the Winter, and I will definitely want to see you after this winter is over.

the wpo has been in control too , asking me about the study of facts from great mets y it happens only in jan an feb ? i didn't event the facts  they are there  for u. .any one who knows what a repeating pattern is live an die bye it . there is some truth too it oct an nov is important pattern wise too our winter. there are ways too alter the pattern but for a long time now the blocking has started showing up every 30 days or so . watch the qbo if it starts weaking fast this winter pattern could get stuck an make yall grumpy people happy ?

9", several areas in NC had 10"+ season but we just missed out.

Yeah, the Triad saw 15-20" of snow that winter and I'm guessing the northern foothills might have been closer to 25-30".  There was a sharp cutoff with the December 2009 storm that skewed totals some depending on whether you were N/W or S/E of GSO.  The March 2010 storm featured variable totals as did the February 5, 2010 "Snowmageddon" storm, where areas in the Triad saw 2-4" of snow on the front-end before it turned over to rain.  Of course, then we got in on the northern fringes of February 12, 2010 and we had the epic storm on January 29-30, 2010.  I'm probably missing some minor events, too, but the bottom line is that winter was epic!

Some of you guys need to chill out.  There's really no reason to be melting down right now, IMO.

the wpo has been in control too , asking me about the study of facts from great mets y it happens only in jan an feb ? i didn't event the facts they are there for u. .any one who knows what a repeating pattern is live an die bye it . there is some truth too it oct an nov is important pattern wise too our winter. there are ways too alter the pattern but for a long time now the blocking has started showing up every 30 days or so . watch the qbo if it starts weaking fast this winter pattern could get stuck an make yall grumpy people happy ?

No it hasn't. The EPO has mainly driven the pattern . Do you have a link or something to those great mets because I don't no what you are talking about? I agree that October is important pattern wise, but not sure for November.

No it hasn't. The EPO has mainly driven the pattern . Do you have a link or something to those great mets because I don't no what you are talking about? I agree that October is important pattern wise, but not sure for November.

joe d is one of the great metts! there are many other metts i listen too  meation this also , but joe d from weather bell has been talking about this forever . i have few mett friends on face book, i talk too about  the connection! but if u want too see examples, go too weather bell joe d been showing examples for a long time. . The epo went postive for a little bitt, but the pattern stayed cold, becasue the wpo was still holding on, kicking cold out of alaska! .Joe d said quote,

'the dec pattern want be the main pattern for  the winter. the jan feb qbo solar max connection should take hold . I said this before winter started before he even started the examples , like i said i have good mett friends. 

I agree. But even as it is modeled now, verbatim, the 18Z GFS has light snow from the afternoon of 1/2 to the morning of 1/3 in many areas of NC, SC, and GA. In NC, the heaviest appears to be near Wilmington (~2") and the coast to the NE (up to 5"!) as was suggested by superjames1992. In GA, Macon, Augusta, Columbus, Atlanta, Athens, and Tony get  a nice hit of 0.5" to 1". Even Savannah gets some flurries. In SC, GSP, MYR, COLA, and CHS also get the nice ~0.5 to 1". Surface temperatures are plenty cold with 20's in many cases for a good portion.

So, the 1/2-3 period may turn out to be the most interesting period to date of this winter for many in the SE. We'll see.

Folks,

The 0Z GFS dropped this near Miller A scenario for 1/2-3. However, the 0Z GEFS is actually showing it even more than the 18Z GEFS for mainly 1/2. Therefore, I say game very much on for some chance for a supressed Miller A ~1/2-3 that could give some of the SE an accumulating snow. Has anyone seen the individual members of the 0Z GEFS from 168 to 192 hours?

Folks,

The 0Z GFS dropped this near Miller A scenario for 1/2-3. However, the 0Z GEFS is actually showing it even more than the 18Z GEFS for mainly 1/2. Therefore, I say game very much on for some chance for a possible supressed Miller A ~1/2-3 that could give some of the SE an accumulating snow. Has anyone seen the individual members of the 0Z GEFS from 168 to 192 hours?

Any time around  the 1st has been good to me a few times :)  This cloud cover I've had this evening is slowing the cooling, but with such a low dp, I've got a good chance at some virga sleet tonight, if some of that virga that's near by makes it over me, lol.  I won't stay up for it, but I'll stay up on New Years Eve, and the next few nights if need be, because I think it's coming, and probably not virga...could be any of those impulses, or one unseen :)  Heck, I'm watching the weekend.  Get that cold 4 states closer, and the low further  south :)  It getting to be the time when stuff happens, after waiting since April. T

Any time around  the 1st has been good to me a few times :)  This cloud cover I've had this evening is slowing the cooling, but with such a low dp, I've got a good chance at some virga sleet tonight, if some of that virga that's near by makes it over me, lol.  I won't stay up for it, but I'll stay up on New Years Eve, and the next few nights if need be, because I think it's coming, and probably not virga...could be any of those impulses, or one unseen :)  Heck, I'm watching the weekend.  Get that cold 4 states closer, and the low further  south :)  It getting to be the time when stuff happens, after waiting since April. T

euro tonight is way colder on the 1st.

Archived