Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
November 2013 General Discussion

Geos

A new month under a week away now. 

What kind of November will we have? Some more warm spells? Early snowstorms for some? 

Hopefully the month will feature some active weather with some good storms to track through the subforum.

New 12z GFS is showing a stormy first week of November.

gfs_namer_264_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, we gotta get out of the habit of posting these really long range op GFS maps so much.

I was just driving the point that the first week looks active like this week. Not to focus on any one storm in the medium range.

Looks like seasonal temperatures the first few days at least.

Here's our storm in the first few hours of the 1st. Bombing out at 980mb

gfsUS_sfc_prec_114.gif

260hrs ?

And the storm were monitoring for the 31st and 1st. Bit of a cold air shot after it.

NAEFS showing near normal to slightly above normal temperatures 3-10th.

The first 2 weeks of November look pretty ballpark normal, the last two weeks will define the month.

I hope that low doesn't sit and strengthen near Juneau! 

Looks like a zonal, up and down sort of pattern developing through atleast mid-month. In the image above you can pick out the weak ridge over the Aleutian islands and as long as that stays sturdy, it should help keep the effects of the NAO/AO minimal and we wont get torched by the SE ridge. You can also pick-out the trough across Eastern Greenland, signs of a +NAO in place. The trough across Western Canada/Central States looks slightly over done in my opinion esp with the -PNA in place and these troughs whenever in place should last no more than 2-3 days. 

Looks like a zonal, up and down sort of pattern developing through atleast mid-month. In the image above you can pick out the weak ridge over the Aleutian islands and as long as that stays sturdy, it should help keep the effects of the NAO/AO minimal and we wont get torched by the SE ridge. You can also pick-out the trough across Eastern Greenland, signs of a +NAO in place. The trough across Western Canada/Central States looks slightly over done in my opinion esp with the -PNA in place and these troughs whenever in place should last no more than 2-3 days. 

Well said. The MJO moving into phase 2 by mid month should bring cooler wx here

However, I have no idea where alek is getting dry from. Clearly another canned statement, because the models certainly don't indicate a particularly dry period.

Compared to normal it looks on the wetter side.

It's tough getting true wintry weather in here any earlier than about the 20th.

I'm becoming increasingly intrigued in the period following next week, both the Euro/GFS combo and the CPC 8-14 outlook suggesting SE ridge becoming established in a highly favorable position for moisture advection into the central portion of the country, with a -PNA pattern that suggests amplifying western troughing. There would certainly be potential for severe weather event or two in a pattern like that (along with possibly snow since this would favor cutters).

oe42.gif

I'm becoming increasingly intrigued in the period following next week, both the Euro/GFS combo and the CPC 8-14 outlook suggesting SE ridge becoming established in a highly favorable position for moisture advection into the central portion of the country, with a -PNA pattern that suggests amplifying western troughing. There would certainly be potential for severe weather event or two in a pattern like that (along with possibly snow since this would favor cutters).

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41492-winter-13-14-medlong-range-discussion/

Clouds clouds clouds clouds... hopefully the next couple bring some sun.  Don't mind this pattern, just would like a little more sunshine. 

Still lots of leaves on trees around here... seems late.

Same here. Lots of leaves falling today.

Sub 50° day today.

Edit: Great, now it's raining.

Archived