ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Hurricane Sandy - Looking Back One Year Later

IsentropicLift

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am actually surprised at how little video was posted on YouTube of the peak winds. You see a lot of before and after more than anything else. I know there was one in Jersey City that was pretty intense on the waterfront.

The most famous video was of the 3 trees blowing down in quick succession in Wantagh here in Nassau County.

This was in an area just west of the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway which is a heavily wooded area of the

South Shore. I had a few friends that lived very close that block at one time.

I am actually surprised at how little video was posted on YouTube of the peak winds. You see a lot of before and after more than anything else. I know there was one in Jersey City that was pretty intense on the waterfront.

Worst winds were at night making it tough. I got some daytime footage but most really impressive damage occurred at night

The most famous video was of the 3 trees blowing down in quick succession in Wantagh here in Nassau County.

This was in an area just west of the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway which is a heavily wooded area of the

South Shore. I had a few friends that lived very close that block at one time.

Oh yeah I have seen that one. ON a side note I wish people would hold their Iphones horizontal when filming :)

The lights went out at approximately 6:30PM where I was. The only light after that was from exploding transformers. It was almost impossible to get a good visual of what was going on outside. I only went on the roaring sounds that were loud enough to make the roof creak from time to time. My house also lost a lot of shingles.

I just remember laying in my bed listening to trees cracking and breaking all throughout my neighborhood the entire night. It was absolutely horrifying not knowing where they were falling or what they might fall on. My entire street lost power at around 3:30pm on the 29th, so it was pitch black out. Thankfully no tree fell on my property, but some many houses on our street weren't as lucky, thankfully no trees fell on any houses in my neighborhood. It was to the point where there was only way in or out of my neighborhood due to fallen trees. I just noticed last week that a fallen tree that had fallen on the pipeline across the street from my house was finally removed.

The best winds were after dark with the power out

It looked for a couple of days like the storm might stay out at sea longer and hit New England harder, but I remember the scared feeling I had when the storm turned west that morning and knew that the Tri-State area was in for the worst impacts. The aftermath and impacts also were worse than anticipated, even with the "Frankenstorm" declarations and such, due to striking at high tide. In my town the storm tide reached almost 11 feet (surge was near 8 feet).

The interesting thing is that the rain was minimal. I early on took (false) comfort in the fact that we had a dry summer and fall. Irene's devastation was from a lot of rain on top of a lot of earlier rain.

I guess generals fight the last war. i still don't know why Sandy was so destructive. The rain wasn't much and the winds were less severe than December 1992 Nor'easter.

The interesting thing is that the rain was minimal. I early on took (false) comfort in the fact that we had a dry summer and fall. Irene's devastation was from a lot of rain on top of a lot of earlier rain.

I guess generals fight the last war. i still don't know why Sandy was so destructive. The rain wasn't much and the winds were less severe than December 1992 Nor'easter.

Really?? What about the unprecedented storm surge for this area which shattered most previous records by a solid 3 feet. Not to mention Sandy's left hook into NJ causing winds to pile up water at the worst possible angle for NYC, NJ, and Long Island. I had 7 feet of water in my basement in Bergen County as the surge moved right up the Passaic River, which according to life-long residents, was the first time the town was ever flooded strictly from a storm surge.

Also, while I'm not sure of the exact wind speeds from the Dec 92 Perfect Storm, I find it hard to believe they were more severe than during Sandy. I know with Sandy there were recorded gusts to 85mph in interior NE NJ, much of NYC & Long Island, and along the Jersey Shore. I believe many areas as far inland as Western NJ & Eastern PA, and as far north as CT & RI had gusts 70mph+. That's an extremely large area of near hurricane force winds for this part of the country (particularly so far inland).

The lights went out at approximately 6:30PM where I was. The only light after that was from exploding transformers. It was almost impossible to get a good visual of what was going on outside. I only went on the roaring sounds that were loud enough to make the roof creak from time to time. My house also lost a lot of shingles.

A guy over on State Street captured the moment that the substation in Island Park blew out. The video has an almost apocalyptic 

feel to it with the hugh flash of light at the same time the car alarms are going off from the salt water shorting out

the electrical systems.

Really?? What about the unprecedented storm surge for this area which shattered most previous records by a solid 3 feet. Not to mention Sandy's left hook into NJ causing winds to pile up water at the worst possible angle for NYC, NJ, and Long Island. I had 7 feet of water in my basement in Bergen County as the surge moved right up the Passaic River, which according to life-long residents, was the first time the town was ever flooded strictly from a storm surge.

Agreed on the storm surge areas. We were inland and somewhat elevated and we still lost power for about 4 1/2 days, as did much of Westchester County. Most of Westchester County was not impacted by storm surge, My post was directed at the heavy tree downages and power failures here.

Also, while I'm not sure of the exact wind speeds from the Dec 92 Perfect Storm, I find it hard to believe they were more severe than during Sandy. I know with Sandy there were recorded gusts to 85mph in interior NE NJ, much of NYC & Long Island, and along the Jersey Shore. I believe many areas as far inland as Western NJ & Eastern PA, and as far north as CT & RI had gusts 70mph+. That's an extremely large area of near hurricane force winds for this part of the country (particularly so far inland).

The "Perfect Storm" was October 1991 and not December 1992. However, the gusts and steady winds were comparable between the two, but the difference in damage not remotely comparable. One explanation I have heard and which I believe is that the wind angles were the worst possible from the ability of both trees and electric poles to withstand. They simply weren't "used" to steady winds from 090 to 140.

Agreed on the storm surge areas. We were inland and somewhat elevated and we still lost power for about 4 1/2 days, as did much of Westchester County. Most of Westchester County was not impacted by storm surge, My post was directed at the heavy tree downages and power failures here.

The "Perfect Storm" was October 1991 and not December 1992. However, the gusts and steady winds were comparable between the two, but the difference in damage not remotely comparable. One explanation I have heard and which I believe is that the wind angles were the worst possible from the ability of both trees and electric poles to withstand. They simply weren't "used" to steady winds from 090 to 140.

Considering the damage we had in Dobbs Ferry, I was fairly impressed that the power was back on within 4 days or so. Initial estimates were over a week for full restoration of electricity. 

• 2 months later...

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/sandy-caused-substantial-damage-to-3-000-plus-li-homes-triggering-rebuilding-requirements-1.6784411

More than 3,000 houses along Long Island's South Shore and barrier islands have been declared substantially damaged because of superstorm Sandy, a key designation that triggers rebuilding requirements in the floodplain.

Owners of these homes who fail to meet the tougher codes may face financial penalties and insurance-rate increases -- consequences that could wash over their entire community.

The number of substantially damaged residences, based on a Newsday survey of two dozen towns and villages in the devastated areas, is likely to rise because more homeowners are expected to come forward now that state money is available for rebuilding, officials said.

Most claims in Long Beach

Among communities along the South Shore that responded to Newsday's survey, Long Beach tallied the largest number of substantially damaged homes, at 1,065 -- a number city officials said was likely to rise. The city was among a handful of Long Island communities that had FEMA's help in conducting substantial-damage assessments.

"There were very few homes that did not get damaged during the flooding," said Scott Kemins, Long Beach's building commissioner. He noted, however, that newer or updated homes built to new FEMA codes before Sandy struck "had no structural damage, no utility damage."

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/sandy-caused-substantial-damage-to-3-000-plus-li-homes-triggering-rebuilding-requirements-1.6784411

More than 3,000 houses along Long Island's South Shore and barrier islands have been declared substantially damaged because of superstorm Sandy, a key designation that triggers rebuilding requirements in the floodplain.

Owners of these homes who fail to meet the tougher codes may face financial penalties and insurance-rate increases -- consequences that could wash over their entire community.

The number of substantially damaged residences, based on a Newsday survey of two dozen towns and villages in the devastated areas, is likely to rise because more homeowners are expected to come forward now that state money is available for rebuilding, officials said.

Most claims in Long Beach

Among communities along the South Shore that responded to Newsday's survey, Long Beach tallied the largest number of substantially damaged homes, at 1,065 -- a number city officials said was likely to rise. The city was among a handful of Long Island communities that had FEMA's help in conducting substantial-damage assessments.

"There were very few homes that did not get damaged during the flooding," said Scott Kemins, Long Beach's building commissioner. He noted, however, that newer or updated homes built to new FEMA codes before Sandy struck "had no structural damage, no utility damage."

Wow, that number really climbed-I think it was about 900 homes a few months ago. There are still large blocks of homes just sitting there gutted and abandoned-hopefully this money can be used to finally demolish and rebuild these homes to better standards.

Wow, that number really climbed-I think it was about 900 homes a few months ago. There are still large blocks of homes just sitting there gutted and abandoned-hopefully this money can be used to finally demolish and rebuild these homes to better standards.

I was in town recently and saw a number of homes in neighborhoods from the Canals through the area around the 

medical center to the West End all being raised. I was really happy to see how beautiful the new boardwalk came out.

I was in town recently and saw a number of homes in neighborhoods from the Canals through the area around the 

medical center to the West End all being raised. I was really happy to see how beautiful the new boardwalk came out.

It's good to finally see some progress on that end-nothing was more depressing than seeing the large groups of abandoned homes in the West End. From what I saw, homes that were even raised a few feet suffered much less damage than homes right on street level, so the new homes should be much better able to withstand a major surge like we saw in Sandy. However, we still desperately need the L.B. hospital to reopen in some capacity-having a barrier island of 50,000+ residents without a hospital is unacceptable.

It's good to finally see some progress on that end-nothing was more depressing than seeing the large groups of abandoned homes in the West End. From what I saw, homes that were even raised a few feet suffered much less damage than homes right on street level, so the new homes should be much better able to withstand a major surge like we saw in Sandy. However, we still desperately need the L.B. hospital to reopen in some capacity-having a barrier island of 50,000+ residents without a hospital is unacceptable.

How far away is the nearest hospital now?

What is the hold up on LB hospital from re-opening?

And the answer to your second question is in this article

"LBMC, a 162-bed hospital, closed after Sandy when 10 feet of water flooded its basement and wrought millions in damages. Last June, the hospital completed all of the major work to repair the facility, but the state Department of Health blocked it from reopening, citing an annual loss of more than $2 million since 2008 and the hospital’s failure to produce a sustainable business plan to meet the community’s needs."

http://longbeach.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/workers-sue-long-beach-medical-center

Archived