joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC/PHL Jan 25-28 Potential Threat Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know he is from the leigh valley, but the GFS run would give them and us great numbers.

Unfortunately, with snowstorms its every man for themselves. If I can be guaranteed 24 inches of snow IF NYC gets 3 inches, sign me up.

Same goes for coastal areas, if you are promised 20 inches of snow, but the Poconos would only get 5", would you take it? Sure would. Everyone is greedy :lmao:

It would be helpful when you quote conditions and QPF, you might include ABE, EWR and RDG since these are major airports and many posters would like to know what the models are spitting out for them. That would eliminate alot of IMBY posts and would not make you look like PHL was the only location to experience heavy QPF. PHL is actually in a location where many posters on this board cannot relate to because there is not many residential neighborhoods near this airport

Everybody in this forum gets 2"+ of QPF. More rain toward the coast, less rain inland. I'm at work and don't have time to cater to every IMBY request.

Once again, interior PA/NY folks are going to be cheering for a Euro solution for big snows, they care less about rain at the coast. Coastal people want a GFS solution with snow, and potentially less snow further inland. Let the battle begin. :axe:

I honestly dont see a reason why there should be a battle, especially since the inland people have been cheated out of a lot of snow this season. That plus the fact that we have an amazing winter pattern coming up in February, so people shouldnt get so stressed out over one storm.

If this was the late 80s or early 90s then I would see a reason to be upset lol.

The high pressure needs to hold its ground better and not shift so far east. Thats something to keep an eye on.

That high is going bye bye whether you like it or not given the downstream pattern. What we will need to see is more solutions like the gfs (which I'm not buying at all by the way). I still like my initial thoughts from a few days ago, when this wasnt progged to be a qpf monster yet, of snow to rain for the big cities. We shall see.

Everybody in this forum gets 2"+ of QPF. More rain toward the coast, less rain inland. I'm at work and don't have time to cater to every IMBY request.

Youve done more than enough already :thumbsup:

People need to employ basic reasoning skills to get a general idea and then apply some more reasoning and realize theyre stressing out over QPF output and P-type on a storm that is at least 4 days away.....

I honestly dont see a reason why there should be a battle, especially since the inland people have been cheated out of a lot of snow this season. That plus the fact that we have an amazing winter pattern coming up in February, so people shouldnt get so stressed out over one storm.

If this was the late 80s or early 90s then I would see a reason to be upset lol.

Me either, but unfortunately, that is how things play out on these boards. Some people are too high strung, you can't control weather.

That high is going bye bye whether you like it or not given the downstream pattern. What we will need to see is more solutions like the gfs (which I'm not buying at all by the way). I still like my initial thoughts from a few days ago, when this wasnt progged to be a qpf monster yet, of snow to rain for the big cities. We shall see.

You may be totally correct, but then the question becomes HOW FAR NW of the big cities do you need to get to stay primarily snow, or at least a snow to rain to heavy snow scenario? Is my question an elevation question? <If so what is the target elevation> or is it simply a distance question. Thanks.

Changing to rain is inevitable city/coast with an event like this with the high slipping off shore. It's rare to get a storm this amped up with a high moving offshore that doesnt warm the surface with easterly winds, I don't care how cold the 850s are. We need quicker and/or weaker in my opinion to stay all snow here, and weaker doesnt produce a HECS. I'd be drooling over these runs if I lived inland though.

does it matter that the ocean temps are in the low to mid 30's? how much "warm" air can be transported in with an easterly fetch?

It would only take a 25-50 mile shift east on the Euro with the high holding on a little longer to give the NW suburbs of NYC/PHL a HECS.

Exactly. Everyone should not be going crazy right now, if it shifts 60 miles E, then PHL-NYC gets a HECS. Shifts will happen in a crazy solution like this.

The high pressure needs to hold its ground better and not shift so far east. Thats something to keep an eye on.

im not sure I get this whole "block thing"...if one would look at the 12Z euro at hr96 and 120 you will see at the very least a quasi 50/50 and a slightly displaced closed h5 high just east of greenland...how is that not a black?????

It could be like a March 93 where you get a big thump of front end snow way before the low even comes up the coast and then a changeover occurs from 25 to 50 miles NW of the cities and down to the south and east. But this far out it would be impossible to figure out where that sets up

You may be totally correct, but then the question becomes HOW FAR NW of the big cities do you need to get to stay primarily snow, or at least a snow to rain to heavy snow scenario? Is my question an elevation question? <If so what is the target elevation> or is it simply a distance question. Thanks.

Well, all good questions, but ones that cannot be answered at this time until we see exactly how much cold air we are going to have left, exactly how the storm develops/unfolds. how strong of an easterly wind fetch? how far inland does the marine influence get...stuff like that. Elevation ALWAYS helps.

Yeah, so we'll need a slightly better upper level orientation. Surface pressure centers are not static entities. They strengthen/weaken and move based on their environment. As is, the cross-isobaric flow could help keep surface temps near or just below freezing, especially just inland.

It could be like a March 93 where you get a big thump of front end snow way before the low even comes up the coast and then a changeover occurs from 25 to 50 miles NW of the cities and down to the south and east. But this far out it would be impossible to figure out where that sets up

The Canadian reminds me a little of 93. Obviously not nearly extreme but definitely similar. Less antecedent cold.

Archived