joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2011 Drought Thread.

Isopycnic

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad someone started this thread. I never had a chance to finish up some work I was doing at the end of 2010, but will compile it all soon. The drought has been expanding over the heart of the CArolinas I noticed. My area as usual was well below normal again last year, around 16" below, down to near GSP, where we missed several big events just by a fraction, on both sides actually LOL. I'm now over 140" below normal since it began in 1999, with only 2 above normal years! I'm curious to see the new 30 year rain maps when they come out to see if they "smooth" over my county , or if the local drought shows up. I' have a feeling they won't incorporate such micro data, since CLT and GSP haven't been hit nearly as hard as just to their north and west. I always dread going into Summer b/c now I know what to expect. Maybe things are about to change though.

I'm glad someone started this thread. I never had a chance to finish up some work I was doing at the end of 2010, but will compile it all soon. The drought has been expanding over the heart of the CArolinas I noticed. My area as usual was well below normal again last year, around 16" below, down to near GSP, where we missed several big events just by a fraction, on both sides actually LOL. I'm now over 140" below normal since it began in 1999, with only 2 above normal years! I'm curious to see the new 30 year rain maps when they come out to see if they "smooth" over my county , or if the local drought shows up. I' have a feeling they won't incorporate such micro data, since CLT and GSP haven't been hit nearly as hard as just to their north and west. I always dread going into Summer b/c now I know what to expect. Maybe things are about to change though.

I hope so... there have been a few dry years around here. Dry for few months then one or two wetting rains for a few days to bring that particular month above normal. Then dry again. That has been the pattern. There was a big rain in New Bern on Tuesday that brought 1"+ but that has been the first big rain since the floods in September.

I just saw that RDU had this in their AFD today... my ears must have been burning. :P

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC

615 AM EST FRI JAN 21 2011

{cut}

THIS STORM HAS A LOT OF POTENTIAL FOR OUR REGION INCLUDING HELPING SUPPRESS WORSENING DROUGHT CONDITIONS...AND BRINGING WINTER STORM CONDITIONS TO PARTS OF THE PIEDMONT.

North Georgia, and most of Georgia really had a wet year last year. There were several really big training events that developed there and extended just to my west. Frustrating watching that fall apart right over me. Also eastern Carolinas had that one huge rain event in September I think. Overall, you can see dryness in SC, especially the midlands last year and parts of NC, and eastern Alabama.

post-38-0-29838500-1295622262.jpg

post-38-0-88294000-1295622287.jpg

North Georgia, and most of Georgia really had a wet year last year. There were several really big training events that developed there and extended just to my west. Frustrating watching that fall apart right over me. Also eastern Carolinas had that one huge rain event in September I think. Overall, you can see dryness in SC, especially the midlands last year and parts of NC, and eastern Alabama.

I'm tired of looking at those ugly maps :gun_bandana::gun_bandana: :gun_bandana: :(:devilsmiley:

Not trying to be political at all...

If the planet is trying to cool, will it not get more dry? Maybe on an unconnected note, it seems La Nina's are typically dry in this area, and is especially evident in summer. As a flyfisherman, I can say mountain streams suffer greatly during Nina's. Nino's, now that is another story. My garden basically fried in August.

Finished out 010 with less then 4 inches of rain from late September to Jan 1. Since the 5th of January have received over 4.25. KBDI in north Fl was over 700. Now around 2-300. Still pockets that are very high but over all fire danger has gone down significantly.

That's huge because all the freeze's we had in December killed everything. Everything is still dead but at least we are getting rain with more on the way for Tues-Wed next week.

:wub: It's ok....The rains will come back , my plants and flowers will no longer wither and die under the extreme conditions, and my yard will look beautiful once again....one day dry.gif If I keep telling myself that it just might come true ^_^:P

I've been telling myself that since 1999. It worked for me in 2003 and 2009, so keep saying it.:axe:

More than likely I will go into February around 2" in the hole.:angry: Not the way I wanted to start the year :(

About the same here, if not more. Hoping for a good Spring.

Well, one thing about a la nina year is being consistant.

:lol: That's one way to look at it.

I've been telling myself that since 1999. It worked for me in 2003 and 2009, so keep saying it.:axe:

About the same here, if not more. Hoping for a good Spring.

I know I'm not alone in this misery :hug: A good spring, summer, fall....just a year to ummmm ten in a row would be refreshing :lol: My avatar stays until this drought gives up :weight_lift:

Didn't realize that i was this far behind and GSP is worse!

average for January 4.41"

my totals

Rainfall totals for the year 2011 in middle Oconee Monthy Day Total

Jan 1st 0.8

Jan 5th 0.28

Jan 8th 0.05

Jan 10th 0.68

Jan 17th 0.18

Jan 18-19th 0.15

Jan 25-26th 0.7

Total

Yep. And I was worse than GSP. Caught up now. Yesterdays heavy rain was very nice. Just got a new gauge and ready to fill it up.

Looks like my total for January will only be 1.58in so I'm already starting 2011 out over two and half in the hole, and 8.44 below normal for the last 4 months. We really need a few soakers around here before spring to get soil moisture levels up or else excluding other factors, we could be staring at another hot, dry summer. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Is having rain instead of wintry precip. still considered evil or can we now focus on the fact that dry areas getting much needed rain is good news for the longer term?

Rain is never evil for mby :wub::lol: I would love nothing more than to have this year(and several more) be above normal in the precip department. It's like there is some sort of force field/dome that is above my area of the midlands that will not allow it to rain. :unsure:

I wonder what our new drought status will be :yikes:

State Climate Office 803-734-9100

SPECIAL NEWS RELEASE 11-294 DNR News 803-667-0696

January 13, 2011

<P class=textIndent>

South Carolina Drought Response Committee to meet in Columbia on February 3

<P class=textIndent>The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources will convene the South Carolina Drought Response Committee on Thursday, February 3, 2011, at 1:00 PM. The meeting will be held at the S.C. Forestry Commission's Large Conference Room (parking located in the back), 5500 Broad River Road in Columbia.

<P class=textIndent>The purpose of the drought meeting is to evaluate the drought status statewide. The committee will review climatic data, streamflow and lake level data, and drought impacts. Thirty-seven counties are currently in the first stage of drought.

<P class=textIndent>Contact South Carolina State Climatologist Dr.Hope Mizzell in Columbia at (803) 734-9568 or e-mail at [email protected] for more information.

Archived