joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm talking about the intensity of the coastal low. How many storms do you know of that place a 986mb low just east of DC? I'd welcome a better storm to compare this GFS run to, maybe the january 2000 storm?

Again - as baro said, surface isn't the only thing you can compare.

There are many ways you can get a strong surface low but the other levels may look very different. It's the same premise of the NADS storm.

GFS caves to the Euro in a sense...things are back to normal? If the OP has ensemble support, & the EURO/GGEM packages have a storm, perhaps its time to start?

Look at the ensemble. Also, can't say something caved this far out. It could just as easily swing in either direction. There are no winners here..yet.

GFS caves to the Euro in a sense...things are back to normal? If the OP has ensemble support, & the EURO/GGEM packages have a storm, perhaps its time to start?

EDIT: Ensembles look meh.

The only cave might be the initial handling of the sw that goes ape on the 0z run.

The ensemble mean total precip is still pretty nice and its much colder. I don't believe the OP verbatim but I think some of the members have also caught on to the coastal which is an improvement over last run.

Not only that, but just a very unusual development and progression of the height field. Quite honestly the chance of that GFS run verbatim is probably less than 2%.

I agree. This ain't going to happen as depicted on this GFS run, but it sure was nice to see the GFS finally lose the idea of holding the 500 energy back in the southwest for a week. Plenty of time to iron out the details.

Archived