• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 24th-26th Winter Storm Potential

cmichweather

not sure. but wherever it goes it'll probably be slow looking at that trough. Hopefully a slow crawl north and the cold can hang on better than the nam is showing. This is the first time I've actually been concerned about temps lol

Im not sure and Im sure you would know better...

Did this storm look familar to the March 08 storm from this point out?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the 84 hour NAM vs. the world. And we're not even sure the NAM would be a hit extrapolated. So as far as my excitement meter goes...the needle hasn't budged.

as i said last night...it's not really the nam vs. the world, because the rest of the modelling world doesn't really have a concensus either. I had a feeling the nam was gonna do this. Sometimes it can be the first model to sniff out a situation like this....but more often then not it's usually just wrong at this range lol.

Nice way to jinx them. :lol:

Rule 1 when discussing a event. NEVER EVER mention analogs to famous storms. Sure fire way to kill any potential off.

From my own pov i would like to see this backed another say.. 100-150 miles or so.

nam_300_084l.gif

Just no cutting off till it gets north of the OH river.

Rule 1 when discussing a event. NEVER EVER mention analogs to famous storms. Sure fire way to kill any potential off.

From my own pov i would like to see this backed another say.. 100-150 miles or so.

nam_300_084l.gif

I'd like the upstream kicker gone and stronger jet energy fuelling the development of the trough. We'll see, I don't want to crap all over this potential this far out, but I see a lot of problems with getting this storm to ramp up and hit a lot of us with heavy snow.

haven't really looked if that makes sense as an analog....i'm not a big believer in storm analogs due to so much chaos in the atmosphere. All i know, and what i have been saying over the last few days is give me a trough like most of the models are showing around the 72-84 hr timeframe and lets see what happens from there.

not sure. but wherever it goes it'll probably be slow looking at that trough. Hopefully a slow crawl north and the cold can hang on better than the nam is showing. This is the first time I've actually been concerned about temps lol

In the winters of 2007-08 and 2008-09, while we were blasted with snow, I remember every storm I was at some point worried about a miss to the south and at another point worried about a mix at the least. In those 2 winters I saw 143" of snow, when my climo for 2 winters is 88". So basically 3.5 winters of snowfall stuffed into 2. YET...in the nowcast times of each storm, tons of worry and frustration because of models. Since then, Ive laid of taking them so seriously or trying to rely on their biases, and its done a world of good.

nam_300_084l.gif

Oh! Did not know rule #1 My bad i just knocked on wood :lightning:

In the winters of 2007-08 and 2008-09, while we were blasted with snow, I remember every storm I was at some point worried about a miss to the south and at another point worried about a mix at the least. In those 2 winters I saw 143" of snow, when my climo for 2 winters is 88". So basically 3.5 winters of snowfall stuffed into 2. YET...in the nowcast times of each storm, tons of worry and frustration because of models. Since then, Ive laid of taking them so seriously or trying to rely on their biases, and its done a world of good.

Correct.

I remeber several storms came up at the last minute

How about you just Ignore my posts, because you are really annoying. Mind your own business, to me it seems like you are the only one who is really noticing my posts. SO how about STFU. I dont need to learn from you, and you dont need to tell me how much I can post and how much I cant, who the F you think you are?

For your 411, this is my third fluent language, I might not be as perfect as you are, but I'm here to learn, learn about weather.

B+ on the diatribe. :)

How about you just Ignore my posts, because you are really annoying. Mind your own business, to me it seems like you are the only one who is really noticing my posts. SO how about STFU. I dont need to learn from you, and you dont need to tell me how much I can post and how much I cant, who the F you think you are?

For your 411, this is my third fluent language, I might not be as perfect as you are, but I'm here to learn, learn about weather.

well SSC is probably one of the better people on this entire board to learn from :lol:

The NAM is about to explode or already is for that matter, sfc low goes from 1012mb to 1004mb in the last 6hrs with a snowstorm already going on in parts of MS/AL/TN. those are some pretty impressive UA maps.

the nam per se probably wouldn't explode anything extrapolated. There's no jet feeding into the trough and it appears to be ready to cut off the 5h low. As Harry said, that would probably stop the northward movement. Probably would end up with a big wet sloppy low that meanders off the coast with some high elevation snows in the central apps.

of course we're extrapolating an 84 hr nam map which is like extrapolating a 384 hr gfs ensemble member.

Wow. Just wow. You literally have ZERO concept of climo. Maybe its good that your done actually, because if this is your worst winter ever, you have SERIOUS issues. This is going to be probably remembered by the general public as a brutal winter.

I mean seriously. We have seen well below normal temperatures, probably enroute to one of the 20 coldest winters on record. We have seen well above normal snowcover, probably en route to one of the 20 whitest winters on record. Snowfall itself is right around normal, with officially 21.6" at DTW as we near the halfway mark of winter, which includes 2 decent (not massive) snowstorms and a ton of nickel/dime stuff. With projections from several that we will be seeing a very active Feb/Mar, this is still possibly en route to a top 20 snowiest winter, at the very least above normal snowfall.

Take a look at some past winters sometime. This is Detroit, not Houghton.

Ok Ok let's put the nail in the coffin here about detroit this winter. Just about every location that should see snow in the U.S. is at average or well above. Sure there are a few locations such as DC and Balt/a few places in IA but the number is small. To each is own I understand that, but I could care less about below average temps and above average snow cover. We have gone over this already. Getting excited about snow cover is like getting excited that your street is wet from rain or possible ponding on the roadways. It's just been too cold for significant snow which is even more frustrating. While we are at average snowfall, it has been frustrating seeing every possible significant storm either miss us or not play out. Yes we have had two 5 inch storms but around here thats nuisance. We have one of the lowest running totals being this far north. Yes its frustrating knowing your area will probably be the last to witness a significant event but as DMC noted, until you have experienced it a few times, it's hard not to get frustrated. The bottom line is there have been atleast 6 significant storms, and not one has hit this area. I no longer get frustrated like I used to but it still irks me. We all need to understand everyone is different and people vent in different ways. Sure some of the complaining and valley posts dont belong in here, but I admire the opportunity to go OT sometimes and as hard as it is, posters need to stop jumping all over somebody publicly. So lets lighten up and enjoy the weather.

72 uk

Looks like that high might be moving out quickly, I'm not sure but this storm could track a lot further west.. BTW this is what HM has to say "

Henry Margusity.

Understand two things about the storm. 1. Very cold air will be setting out ahead of the storm. 2. The storm is coming loaded with moisture. What does this mean.. One area of very heavy snow and another area of major ice. The track is critical obviously to figure out these areas, but I-95 corridor fro DC north will not escape some kind of dangerous weather". pimp.gif

Looks like that high might be moving out quickly, I'm not sure but this storm could track a lot further west.. BTW this is what HM has to say "

Henry Margusity.

Understand two things about the storm. 1. Very cold air will be setting out ahead of the storm. 2. The storm is coming loaded with moisture. What does this mean.. One area of very heavy snow and another area of major ice. The track is critical obviously to figure out these areas, but I-95 corridor fro DC north will not escape some kind of dangerous weather". pimp.gif

unreal

Archived