• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 24th-26th Winter Storm Potential

cmichweather

i know alot can change but i think i'm sold on the coast hugger/possible slight inland track i don't think this is a good performer for anyone outside of our new pitt forum member but we'll see. Models certainly can come further west but the nam is clearly an outlier right now and the ensembles haven't looked pretty, we'll see though.

I'm going to root for a track over Harrisburg that destroys us all!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know alot can change but i think i'm sold on the coast hugger/possible slight inland track i don't think this is a good performer for anyone outside of our new pitt forum member but we'll see. Models certainly can come further west but the nam is clearly an outlier right now and the ensembles haven't looked pretty, we'll see though.

Say what? NAM looks nearly identical to the Euro save timing difference. It would likely look very Euro like extrapolated.

post-999-0-05832700-1295678173.gif

post-999-0-68111600-1295678176.png

the euro has a stronger northern stream 500mb wave the euro digs the northern wave further south. It's not by that much but the extrap of the 500 on the nam at hr 84 allow the southern stream to pump the 500 mb pattern up further along the eastcoast. I mean they aren't that far off but the nam 500 mb pattern at 84 is most likely 2 amplified based on how the 72 euro has it.

the euro has a stronger northern stream 500mb wave the euro digs the northern wave further south. It's not by that much but the extrap of the 500 on the nam at hr 84 allow the southern stream to pump the 500 mb pattern up further along the eastcoast. I mean they aren't that far off but the nam 500 mb pattern at 84 is most likely 2 amplified based on how the 72 euro has it.

Most of the low level WAA in the low levels is on the east side of the Apps and is trying to displace the CAD on the NAM-once you get to 84 hrs--the height ridging is now developing over VA as one would expect with the Apps and the blocking of the WAA--honestly to me they would likely end very much the same as the NAM is still positive tilt as the DT/shortwave is still coming around the base of the positive tilt trough at 84.

If I had to guess now, considering the models problems, this will be a I-95(Coastal plain track) or just to the west of I-95 if a storm developes. Good track for Central/Western PA and into Eastern Ohio. Congrads.

I am throwing in the flag on this one for Western Ohio.

Yeah the Apps runner threat has become even lower (never was much of a threat) since all models are now progressive and never fully cut the southern stream off. The WAA is dominant east of the Apps and even on the CMC it tries to crawl up the apps then it just pops a coastal.

The Red River Floodplain. "Valley" is a misnomer since it isn't a valley. What a great place to build cities!

lol well they needed trade posts to trade fur with Winnipeg so you can't fault them there. What do you mean it isn't a valley? West of the redriver valley the terrain certainly increases, i'd argue east of the valley there really isn't much of an increase but only has a slight increase as you go west. I guess it isn't a true "valley" but all the drainage ends up in the center of the valley due to the elevation changed on both sides of the valley.

lol well they needed trade posts to trade fur with Winnipeg so you can't fault them there. What do you mean it isn't a valley? West of the redriver valley the terrain certainly increases, i'd argue east of the valley there really isn't much of an increase but only has a slight increase as you go west. I guess it isn't a true "valley" but all the drainage ends up in the center of the valley due to the elevation changed on both sides of the valley.

It is a floodplain. It is the former remnants of Lake Agassiz.

The reason it is not a true valley is the geological way it was created.

Here is a quick wiki blurb on the geology.

The word "valley" is a misnomer. While the Red River drains the region, it did not create a valley wider than a few hundred feet, and the much-wider floodplain is the lakebed of the glacial lake.[5] It is remarkably flat; from its origin near Breckenridge, Minnesota to the international border near Emerson, Manitoba, its gradient is only about 1:5000, or approximately 1 foot per mile. The river, slow and small in most seasons, does not have the energy to cut a gorge. Instead it meanders across the silty bottomlands in its progress north.[5][6] In consequence, high water has nowhere to go, except to spread across the old lakebed in "overland flooding". Heavy snows or rains, on saturated or frozen soil, has caused a number of catastophic floods, which often are made worse by the fact that snowmelt starts in the warmer south, and waters flowing northward are often dammed or slowed by ice.[5][7] These periodic floods have the effect of refilling, in part, the ancient lake.[6]

The reason it is not a true valley is the geological way it was created.

Here is a quick wiki blurb on the geology.

The word "valley" is a misnomer. While the Red River drains the region, it did not create a valley wider than a few hundred feet, and the much-wider floodplain is the lakebed of the glacial lake.[5] It is remarkably flat; from its origin near Breckenridge, Minnesota to the international border near Emerson, Manitoba, its gradient is only about 1:5000, or approximately 1 foot per mile. The river, slow and small in most seasons, does not have the energy to cut a gorge. Instead it meanders across the silty bottomlands in its progress north.[5][6] In consequence, high water has nowhere to go, except to spread across the old lakebed in "overland flooding". Heavy snows or rains, on saturated or frozen soil, has caused a number of catastophic floods, which often are made worse by the fact that snowmelt starts in the warmer south, and waters flowing northward are often dammed or slowed by ice.[5][7] These periodic floods have the effect of refilling, in part, the ancient lake.[6]

oh ok its a geological definition

oh ok its a geological definition

A geological definition but I never honestly considered that crap-hole a valley when I was there. The major terrain change (and even then it is small) occurs mostly near the very edges of the "valley". In other words--the terrain elevation change is TINY compared to the overall width of the depression. The depression would need to be about 1/10th of the width to really be a valley.

A geological definition but I never honestly considered that crap-hole a valley when I was there. The major terrain change (and even then it is small) occurs mostly near the very edges of the "valley". In other words--the terrain elevation change is TINY compared to the overall width of the depression. The depression would need to be about 1/10th of the width to really be a valley.

Ya i think the eastern edge of the valley is the toughest area to define as a terrain change, the western edge of the valley i believe is a decent change in elevation you can certainly tell as you head west that you've left the "valley" the eastern edge is more of gradual change that is tough to notice. It certainly isn't a classical valley example but for the great plains i guess its the best they can do to qualify as a valley.

No offense but you can tell we are stir crazy when we are talking about geology/topography :P

lol i never had a shot at the "phased" storm i'm just pumped for the northern stream energy adding to the snowpack, i love reading the forums in fargo and the people in denial, they are within a few tenths of an inch of setting record for SWE and we have a few months left, maybe when we hite 4.5-5 inches of SWE they'll realize it'll take a perfect melt situation to have a non historic flood.

Ya i think the eastern edge of the valley is the toughest area to define as a terrain change, the western edge of the valley i believe is a decent change in elevation you can certainly tell as you head west that you've left the "valley" the eastern edge is more of gradual change that is tough to notice. It certainly isn't a classical valley example but for the great plains i guess its the best they can do to qualify as a valley.

Yeah it is definitely a pretty pathetic chunk of land. No trees, flat, ugly brown river that magically results in a lot of deaths of local residents, trains everywhere axesmiley.pngaxesmiley.png, etc. etc.

No offense but you can tell we are stir crazy when we are talking about geology/topography :P

Can you tell I didn't like Grand Forks?laugh.gif

In reality though--I was corrected by a guy at the local NWS when I was there as a volunteer--so I do the same now too haha when it is mentioned as a valley.

lol i never had a shot at the "phased" storm i'm just pumped for the northern stream energy adding to the snowpack, i love reading the forums in fargo and the people in denial, they are within a few tenths of an inch of setting record for SWE and we have a few months left, maybe when we hite 4.5-5 inches of SWE they'll realize it'll take a perfect melt situation to have a non historic flood.

Yes it definitely has the potential to be a blockbuster. The GFK/Fargo folks are fine--but as usual--the small towns will suffer big. Some of the highways may be in big trouble too. All my GFK friends are keeping me up to date on the flooding. Always a yearly discussion after 1997.

Archived