• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SE Model Threads?

burgertime

Any thoughts on a super moderated model threads when storms are immanent? This might bring to much clutter to our subforum but it would be nice to have a fairly moderated model thread where only specific run times of models are discussed and dissected. The "storm" thread could then be more of a banter thread. Only way this would work though is as I mentioned tightly moderated with junk being cleared...could be too much trouble for the staff though.

Agree!

On going monthly Obs banter thread

Model thread as needed

Old school here but I still like the one thread (in a non storm mode time) where the obs and disco is located.

Any thoughts on a super moderated model threads when storms are immanent? This might bring to much clutter to our subforum but it would be nice to have a fairly moderated model thread where only specific run times of models are discussed and dissected. The "storm" thread could then be more of a banter thread. Only way this would work though is as I mentioned tightly moderated with junk being cleared...could be too much trouble for the staff though.

only allow mods, pros or mets to post in it.

:thumbsup:

then keep the banter thread for questions

That's the key, it would need to be moderated like crazy. Sometimes I wish threads could be locked out to everyone except red and yellow tags just to make it easier. Anyways if a storm comes up I guess we can test it and just see how we like it. My worry would be that you have tons of cross threads going on between multiple threads which will confuse people. Perhaps we can have ONE model thread that is sticked but covers the models for the duration of the storm and is heavily moderated.

But then we would leave out folks like Burgertime who has access to the Euro models. There are also several others like Phil and NCWeather that I would want to be able to post. Do we have enough red and yellow tags that would be able to give a play by play for every model run? That's asking alot of them I think.

only allow mods, pros or mets to post in it.

:thumbsup:

then keep the banter thread for questions

But then we would leave out folks like Burgertime who has access to the Euro models. There are also several others like Phil and NCWeather that I would want to be able to post. Do we have enough red and yellow tags that would be able to give a play by play for every model run? That's asking alot of them I think.

Well I'm sure he meant pro's and in just folks who can read the maps. I don't think we would have enough if only limited to red and yellow tags TBH...but without making it exclusive it's very hard to police...which is what would be needed. I agree though with your list.

I think one of the draws of this type of forum over the years is because some mets choose to interact w/ people who do it as a hobby. Take away that interaction, and potentially a wrench gets thrown in the formula for success. I think it could cut participating membership by at least half. Forums are a mess sometimes. There is probably just no dodging that. If the rule book keeps getting bigger, that is usually a bad sign. At Eastern, new folks were given a post limit until they proved they would adhere to board rules. Once they did that, they were provided unlimited posts. It wasn't a bad idea. It definitely made you think about whether you wanted to waste a post on something trivial.

I think one of the draws of this type of forum over the years is because some mets choose to interact w/ people who do it as a hobby. Take away that interaction, and potentially a wrench gets thrown in the formula for success. I think it could cut participating membership by at least half. Forums are a mess sometimes. There is probably just no dodging that. If the rule book keeps getting bigger, that is usually a bad sign. At Eastern, new folks were given a post limit until they proved they would adhere to board rules. Once they did that, they were provided unlimited posts. It wasn't a bad idea. It definitely made you think about whether you wanted to waste a post on something trivial.

I think that would be a great idea on just improving the whole boards period. Concerning only allowing red and yellow taggers to post, I think you could do that by creating a new forum section, then only allowing certain groups to post. It seems like that would be going a little far out there, but It would accomplish the task at hand. Heck the admins could even make a forum section for each geographical section, that would make more sense. Then have to sections under each one, where everyone can post, then where only red any yellow taggers could post.

I think, for a short time, at Eastern the main page had this setup. Only mets or pro tagged folks posted in it. Most of the disco was over most folks heads.

I do not know if I like the idea of only mets and pro's posting in one thread here. Most of them do blogs now (speaking for the SE as I do not follow the other regions) and most link to to the thread.

I still like the main thread idea and then other model threads as needed based on upcoming systems.

I know the main page has a model thread for every model run. That set up would be neat leading up to a storm.

However, I really do not care jumping around in the threads. As long as I got a place to post, Im all good!!

I think that would be a great idea on just improving the whole boards period. Concerning only allowing red and yellow taggers to post, I think you could do that by creating a new forum section, then only allowing certain groups to post. It seems like that would be going a little far out there, but It would accomplish the task at hand. Heck the admins could even make a forum section for each geographical section, that would make more sense. Then have to sections under each one, where everyone can post, then where only red any yellow taggers could post.

You are exactly right about the interaction. The idea of only pro met threads has been discussed quite a bit by the staff over the years and by vast majority dismissed. The interaction between regular members and those with credentials is one of the most important parts of making this board enjoyable..for both mets and regular members. And as far as having separate model threads, we don't want to get to the point of having to click on a half dozen threads to find everyone's thoughts. I think as long as the discussion is on point and one storm thread, it works fine.

I think the way we did it this last time was fine. The banter and useless posts were kept mainly in the separate thread. We can have even stricter moderation possibly but I personally don't want to get to the point of being storm2k lite. I absolutely hated the way that board was run and swore to myself i wouldn't moderate this board that way and would fight it if we trended that way.

The fact of the matter is when you have 300 to 400 members in a single thread, there is going to be some useless posts that get by. That can't be helped because some of us can't be on here 24/7. We are likely about to add a new mod to help out though as it is very much needed.

Overall I haven't heard many complaints about things and if it's not broke, we shouldn't fix it. If the majority thinks we should have a little stricter moderation, it should be considered. But I thought things went rather smoothly considered the incredibly high number of members viewing the board.

I realize that it kind of takes away from the best element about this board which is weather enthusiasts getting to interact on a real level with professionals which is great thing. I guess I just prefer posting in a thread that is simply all about the models which and I enjoy seeing a model thread with no clutter. The draw back is like you pointed out Mark you have to jump between 3 threads...but if it was kept clean it could make it easier to find pertinent information.

I also agree that new users should have limited posts....but it doesn't bother me too much the mods do a good job of cleaning house when needed.

You are exactly right about the interaction. The idea of only pro met threads has been discussed quite a bit by the staff over the years and by vast majority dismissed. The interaction between regular members and those with credentials is one of the most important parts of making this board enjoyable..for both mets and regular members. And as far as having separate model threads, we don't want to get to the point of having to click on a half dozen threads to find everyone's thoughts. I think as long as the discussion is on point and one storm thread, it works fine.

I think the way we did it this last time was fine. The banter and useless posts were kept mainly in the separate thread. We can have even stricter moderation possibly but I personally don't want to get to the point of being storm2k lite. I absolutely hated the way that board was run and swore to myself i wouldn't moderate this board that way and would fight it if we trended that way.

The fact of the matter is when you have 300 to 400 members in a single thread, there is going to be some useless posts that get by. That can't be helped because some of us can't be on here 24/7. We are likely about to add a new mod to help out though as it is very much needed.

Overall I haven't heard many complaints about things and if it's not broke, we shouldn't fix it. If the majority thinks we should have a little stricter moderation, it should be considered. But I thought things went rather smoothly considered the incredibly high number of members viewing the board.

Totally agree with every point and actually posted right as you did. Anyways I was just throwing out there and kind of stream of conscious on ideas.

I almost typed that verbatim. I think things are going fine as well.

imo...

1 thread for upcoming storm discussion (such as we have now) -- and a new thread when we are talking about a certain storm (such as the 24-25 event) or (the thread for the coastal snow)

1 Month thread i.e. Our SE thread were all banter, obs and such goes into. After Winter gets out of here, we will have the month thread only <--- as this is the case once things slow down into spring and summer.

That is 2 main threads

Of course you can post any and all threads you want. But to make things a little less confusing for some, I like the 2 thread idea.

Also, the January obs III thread can be closed as it was made to cover the last storm. We can use the January II thread to post obs in.

I have no problem with the amounts of current threads. But it makes more sense to have a setup in the SE forum that mirrors the way we have done it for the past few years. Well, after sub forums were set up a few years ago.

imo...

1 thread for upcoming storm discussion (such as we have now) -- and a new thread when we are talking about a certain storm (such as the 24-25 event) or (the thread for the coastal snow)

1 Month thread i.e. Our SE thread were all banter, obs and such goes into. After Winter gets out of here, we will have the month thread only <--- as this is the case once things slow down into spring and summer.

That is 2 main threads

Of course you can post any and all threads you want. But to make things a little less confusing for some, I like the 2 thread idea.

Also, the January obs III thread can be closed as it was made to cover the last storm. We can use the January II thread to post obs in.

I have no problem with the amounts of current threads. But it makes more sense to have a setup in the SE forum that mirrors the way we have done it for the past few years. Well, after sub forums were set up a few years ago.

Personally I wish we would take more advantage of pinned threads. For instance when a major storm is likely to come (with in say 3 days most models agree) you can pin the storm thread and then the day before pin the General Banter and Obs...then unpin when the storm is wrapped up. I've always been a fan of multiple threads. If I knew others would post I would create a CLT area thread and I wouldn't mind at all if there was a GSP, ATL and RDU thread....but I do see the need for one big thread where everyone goes and discusses...it should just be pinned IMHO.

Yes I like the idea of pinning storm threads.

Personally I wish we would take more advantage of pinned threads. For instance when a major storm is likely to come (with in say 3 days most models agree) you can pin the storm thread and then the day before pin the General Banter and Obs...then unpin when the storm is wrapped up. I've always been a fan of multiple threads. If I knew others would post I would create a CLT area thread and I wouldn't mind at all if there was a GSP, ATL and RDU thread....but I do see the need for one big thread where everyone goes and discusses...it should just be pinned IMHO.

I agree with Lookout, I think things went pretty smoothly during the last storm, I also agree the storm threads should be pinned during the storm.

I think for the most part the moderators did a great job, there were occasional posts that got deleted that maybe shouldn't have, but it happens sometimes and you shouldn't take it personal. If there is a post you don't like, instead of making a big deal out of it on the forum, just click on the "Report" link for that post. I would think that would be the most efficient way to handle that, a moderator could keep a tab open in a browser just to monitor "Reported" posts. It would also help keep all the banter down when someone breaks a posting rule. Just a thought. smile.gif

EDIT: I was an administrator on a big car forum, if you think guys here are bad, you haven't seen or heard anything!

Archived