• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upcoming Storm Threats

burgertime

Would love to witness 3-4" rates per hour....

The NAM is much wetter than that, but thats a safe call, but the option is it will be much higher. Esp. in CT. and central Mass, the eastern sections may have mixing problems at first. I won't be surprised if from Manhattan to just west of Boston gets over 20" with some places pushing 30". going to be some thunder with snow rates 3" to 4" an hour in spots.

On pressures, i think I read that Russia had a 1080 somewhere.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why is it that the southeast around NC never sees higher rates of snow like 3 or 4 an hour and when a low pressure is going up the coast why doesn't it throw the moisture back over the state of NC like the lows do when they go up the coast north of VA

storms dont have enough time to bomb when coming out of the gulf

I know its OT and not our storm but is anyone seeing whats about to happen to northeast NJ , NYC and New England? Even for them this could be a total bomb. Pressures are dropping rapidly now. We'll be seeing this is the news I think. I won't be surprised to see Manhattan with over 20". More just northeast of there.

On facebook one of my old schoolmates wrote as her status that Harvard is closed tomorrow! I thought they only did that sort of thing down here. It hasn't even started snowing there yet.

the storm we just had had the best rates in a while here, The only other time I remember better rates was the March 2009 snow here, where one hour I had 3". But this storm had about 3" in the first 2.5 hours if I recall.

Definitely the heaviest rates here since 2009 but probably not quite as heavy as 2009. Can you imagine how much we'd have had in 2009 if we didnt have problems sticking and melting from the bottom?

Definitely the heaviest rates here since 2009 but probably not quite as heavy as 2009. Can you imagine how much we'd have had in 2009 if we didnt have problems sticking and melting from the bottom?

well the 2009 one was so fast, it almost didn't have much time to melt that much , but I know it was melting underneath the entire time, plus it was so compacted from its own weight. I think I had 12" in that storm actually fall, I never saw the actual precip. equivalent, but I measured 9.5" just before calling it a night that nightmarish night. When I got up there was still 7.5" on my truck hood, and the temps dropped to about 20 if I recall that morning. The whole thing lasted about 6 to 6.5 hours here, I still got the high res. radar loop. It just took the perfect track to get me good. I'm sure I'll never see another one dump that much so quick.

Yeah. I meant to add that. started a little before 3am here and by 4:30 or so, I had 2.5" . Hard to tell in the dark. However, I have a tree in the pasture about 200' form the house. For about 15-20 mins, I could not see the tree.

the storm we just had had the best rates in a while here, The only other time I remember better rates was the March 2009 snow here, where one hour I had 3". But this storm had about 3" in the first 2.5 hours if I recall.

Yeah. I meant to add that. started a little before 3am here and by 4:30 or so, I had 2.5" . Hard to tell in the dark. However, I have a tree in the pasture about 200' form the house. For about 15-20 mins, I could not see the tree.

I am fairly new to the blog and was reading what you said about how hard it was snowing early sunday morning. I live in upstate sc in pickens county and we had 2 inch per hour snow rates on sunday night for about 4 hours. Went to bed about 2am we had a little less then an inch on the ground and I then woke back up about 6:15am and we had 9 inches on the ground. It was great to get a good snow like that but, I would have loved to watch it snow for 4 hours or so with 2 inch per hour snow rates. Several people on a local weather blog in the area said they heard several claps of thunder early that morning. We had on and off light snow showers the rest of the morning that didn't accumulate much more then it changed to sleet and then freezing rain later in the day. And, it was still a huge mess around here today and probably will be for a few more days.

Awesome!! I went to bed at 9:3o and got back up at 3am so I could see the rates!!

I am fairly new to the blog and was reading what you said about how hard it was snowing early sunday morning. I live in upstate sc in pickens county and we had 2 inch per hour snow rates on sunday night for about 4 hours. Went to bed about 2am we had a little less then an inch on the ground and I then woke back up about 6:15am and we had 9 inches on the ground. It was great to get a good snow like that but, I would have loved to watch it snow for 4 hours or so with 2 inch per hour snow rates. Several people on a local weather blog in the area said they heard several claps of thunder early that morning. We had on and off light snow showers the rest of the morning that didn't accumulate much more then it changed to sleet and then freezing rain later in the day. And, it was still a huge mess around here today and probably will be for a few more days.

Awesome!! I went to bed at 9:3o and got back up at 3am so I could see the rates!!

I didn't think it was going to snow that hard as the forecast was for snow for 12-18 hours straight. I didn't think it was going to happen all within that short a time. I hated missing that and If I had to do it all over again I would have done it the way you did too! :(

NWS seems to think it's going to be a rain event as of right now.....

.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF FREEZING RAIN AFTER

MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

30 PERCENT.

.MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY...A CHANCE OF FREEZING RAIN IN THE

MORNING. MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN. HIGHS IN THE MID

40S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 40 PERCENT.

.MONDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN. LOWS IN

THE MID 30S.

.TUESDAY...RAIN LIKELY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 40S. CHANCE OF RAIN

60 PERCENT.

before then, our next player might be the western Texas trough at 84 hours. I'd watch that, but right now its probably still going to miss us to the south or shear out. Anything is possible in this wild pattern.

I saw you say that earlier today and started looking at this. Looking at the 0z Nam at hr 84, the 850's are way colder that the gfs 18z. Also looks like the Nam has the northern stream/blocking showing more pressing/strength compared to the GFS. This would hinder a lake cutter, if the SW wave comes on out and doesnt hold back to long like the gFS indicates on the 18z run. Curious to see how the gfs/euro handle this over the next couple days. Glad you pointed this out.

0z NAm at horu 84

nam_500_084s.gif

oz nam 850's

nam_pcp_084s.gif

Now compare to gfs at 90

gfs_500_090s.gif

I guess the more I follow these storms through the years, it seems like the -NAO and 50/50 low are just essential to keep the southern stream waves supressed and tracking into the SE....and to have enough cold air supply.

Yep, I always feel if I have good blocking I have a good chance. Love that blocking, and there has been such great blocking showing up on the gfs since Thanksgiving. I see no reason for it to leave :) I'd like for it to feel at home until June. T

I'm very intrigued by next weeks system. I would think that when models have such extreme solutions to each other, things could get interesting very quickly. Instead of 60 degrees and rain, 20 degrees and snow would be much more exciting!

Hey I have 5 trucks working in Atlanta so keep an eye out for IWC trucks :snowman: :snowman: :snowman:

I'm very intrigued by next weeks system. I would think that when models have such extreme solutions to each other, things could get interesting very quickly. Instead of 60 degrees and rain, 20 degrees and snow would be much more exciting!

The 6z has an interesting solution for heavy rain at the very least next week...if we could get those temps to drop down we would be in business (I know captain obvious)

Archived