Newest Member
    joxey
1/11-1/12 Amateur Map Thread

_AR_

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AR

Interesting OBS point from Joe Bastardi this morning....something to watch for a shift to the west and some mixing issues for Jersey Shore and Long Island.

"The models have the storm passing east of Saint Simon Islands, but winds are turning into the southeast. Hatteras is obviously not in the game yet, but will be tomorrow and a track near or inside hatteras will mean the coastal low will deepen up further west. That would mean greater low level convergence intersecting with the upper divergence and a rapid ramp up of snow rates later tomorrow and tomorrow night, along with more snow further west, and the chance of the change to rain in the coastal areas that got pounded with the blizzard"

AR and Voyager-- watch in the next 2-3 runs of the GFS and NAM- the rookies will be going nuts. I post here in this thread so it cannot be said that I am off my rocker. 6-12 is a good bet for LV- watch the radar rather than the models- there are too many variables working in this storm to rely on just one model

post-76-0-75411200-1294706563.jpgMy best guesstimate:

Red: 10-18", locally 20" in ORH hills and possibly areas over central/east Suffolk from Centereach-Riverhead

Blue: 8-14". Eastern areas over SE MA and E LI have mixing issues and have lower accums

Dark grey: 4-8"

Outside the dark grey: Under 4"

Other guesses:

NYC: 12"

JFK: 13"

EWR: 13"

POU: 13"

BLM: 10"

ISP: 15"

BOS: 16"

ORH: 19"

HFD: 12"

PVD: 15"

CHH: 4" (mix)

MTP: 6" (mix)

HVN: 16"

PHL: 7"

TTN: 8"

UNV: 6"

yea thats very true...im banking on 0z west shift in the nam and gfs, more so the gfs, but i think the nam is going to come in juicier if it hold the same h5 depiction

The little I've actually followed this storm on the models, I have seen a trend in H5 that argues (with my limited knowledge) a west shift in the surface depiction. Glad to see you are seeing something similar.

yea thats very true...im banking on 0z west shift in the nam and gfs, more so the gfs, but i think the nam is going to come in juicier if it hold the same h5 depiction

I'd be ecstatic with 7" here. Ratios should be good, but the dry slot as the low transfers worries me. My parents in Georgia have 18 inches this winter and Easton, PA has about 8. :arrowhead:

Archived