• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Inverted Trough/ Redeveloper Disco Jan 7-9 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

Updated 54nm southeast of nantucket, MA buoy 44008 reports pressure falls of -3.0mb/3hours now and a pressure of 993mb. it is likely still an area of elongated low pressure as the polar jet initiated surface low heads northeastward away from the East Coast, while the surface low in conjunction with the arctic disturbance and H5 low begins heading ENEward, I would like to see some more northward component to its movement and to slow down some, but .5" of QPF looks good from Plymouth to Buzzards Bay, MA and points south and east. Right now the heaviest snow looks to be located around Falmouth to Hyannis, MA region, although in most of these setups, there is a secondary band that gets pushed more northwestward than modeled where some areas of interior SE MA and RI could receive the jackpot give that the Cape and Islands are probably warmer at the surface with temps and therefore the snow has a wetter consistency.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models are interesting. It has a piece of lift getting shoved to the nw and rotating down, seemingly due to an inv trough.This is what gives central mass and ern CT their snow. This feature pivots down, but then the comma head gets close and clips se areas with snow.

I'm really unimpressed with this system but that may change in the next few hours.

Meso lows already seem to be in existence east of Jersey.

I could care less about the trough. It'll bring snow but it's not likely to be anything as dramatic as yesterday. Comma head or bust and to me the NAM just sneaks it in for a few hours with some prolific UVV's just offshore.

Not sure what part of Attleboro that report was from, but I would say probably about 10.5 inches was it for me. Had to laugh as I watched 2-3 dark bands fizzle from different directions before reaching me, although I did have some CF enhancement for a while. Can't officially say because I snapped my yardstick last February in that Blizzard that turned into a major Flizzard, forgot to buy a new one, which reminds me.

lol, I remember...I think i posted a radar loop of one of the bands breaking up around attleboro then reform to the north.

lol, I remember...I think i posted a radar loop of one of the bands breaking up around attleboro then reform to the north.

I also wasn't taking timed observations wiping off a snowboard. The total I quoted was post storm so its probably on the low side. The snow was extremely dense, it was almost like someone set up a snowmaking machine in my driveway. Maybe I did have 12+ with official timed measurements without all the compression.

I also wasn't taking timed observations wiping off a snowboard. The total I quoted was post storm so its probably on the low side. The snow was extremely dense, it was almost like someone set up a snowmaking machine in my driveway. Maybe I did have 12+ with official timed measurements without all the compression.

I noticed the density where I was too. Plus, it was pretty windy. Overall, accurate measurements were harder to come by with that one. I'd say it was about a foot there, but it could have been less since Attleboro seems to be a local min a lot of the time for some reason.

It would seem the 500mb level supports this low coming further northward. Jet streak is showing signs of bending northward along the East Coast according to latest SPC mesoanalysis. 18z NAM is already too far east with the surface low at initialization. Has the precip band too ESE TO WNW oriented instead of W to E oriented already and further north.

Archived