• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2009-2010 mid-atlantic snowfall map

Ian

I will echo the compliments. Awesome map! I have already showed it to a few friends looking for information on last winters snow...they were also impressed. Great work!

Pretty cool....Katie we could use your talents around here more often. Love the map work.

She should have a mandatory training course for anyone who WANTS to post a map. We've had some real treats over the years map wise.

Thanks guys! :wub:

I believe the Elkridge reading, during the 5-6 storm a deformation band set up right over them, coupled that with orographic lift from the Maryland fall line. There was for a period of 4-6 hours of 4-5"/hr snowfall rates there complete with thundersnow. Very very local, this band was no more than 5 miles across.

How did you construct the dataset for snowfall? Did you compile information into an excel table, then a shapefile, then a DEM followed by a raster?

Yes and no - yes everything went into an excel sheet... city name, snowfall, lat and long (in some cases we had county listed but it was important for the map) and then I created a shapefile. I used Lat/Long rather than Northing/Easting because I created the map using a WGS coordinate system instead of State Plane since we had data from different states.

As for the the mapping process, I ran a process called Inverse Distance Weighted (within the Spatial Analysis extension). IDW in laymens terms fills in the gaps between points and their values by giving more weight to values closest to a particular point and less weight to values further away to a particular point. It was this process that created the filled in contour areas. I used a variable distance rather than a fixed one so the program could reach out as far as it needed to between points to fill in the gaps.

Does any of that make sense? I assume you are familiar with GIS since you asked.

Archived