• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Arctic Outbreak (Second Try)

January '94 was the grand daddy of arctic outbreaks here in central ohio. Amazing numbers...many burbs around columbus nearing -30 and southeastern foothills with unofficial numbers approaching -40. I can't imagine getting even close to that with this. This is dropping into the conus too far west for us to feel the brunt. Ideally we would want cross polar flow right down through the upper midwest and western lakes. I'm also skeptical because of the way the models are flopping around with this in terms of whether it comes south or heads more east.

Thanks for the response. Yes I remember that 94 cold all too well. I lived only 4 miles from downtown Cbus and had a -24 reading. I know it was around -30 in Dublin, London, etc. I remember that summer driving out here and there were so many dead trees and shrubs from the cold-it gave some areas a kind of 'skeletonized' look to the landscape in mid summer.

It was down to around -18 here in Madison county in early 2009 and my container plants came through fine-as long as it is not below that I am ok with it. The ony good thing about such cold is that it really keeps even a mininal snowpack around-and I like the snow-if it is going to be cold, I want snow on the ground at least.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS shows largely zonal flow throughout the extended with the real cold air only skimming the north. It would be something if we manage to get through January without even hitting -10F. Maybe the forecast will change once the early week system lays down an extensive snow cover.

Yeah, unfortunately it looks like "arctic outbreak cancel" for much of the Midwest.

Still a bit of time for things to change...but the trends aren't looking good.

Good stuff daddy...yeah, it could still be brutal in the upper midwest. Models (GFS, in particular) are tantalizing with the arctic air...a large thickness gradient. Could be extremely cold where you are, with just a glancing blow imby in the western suburbs of Chicago. Either way, it should make for an active storm track...it'll be fun to track. :snowman:

i don't know, I see maps like this and I'm wondering if this cold is ever really coming down. Weren't we supposed to be in the 'thick of it' by end of next week? Not seeing the amplification or storm development to usher that in.....and it's always seemingly 10+ days away. Big red flag when models are trying to advertise an extreme event is the continual delay.

:whistle: now let's look at today's 12z 240

I call this the 'mirage effect'. When an extreme event is advertised on the longrange models but everyday closer you get, the model moves it back a day. Usually spells doom for verification of the event, in this case a southeastward plunge of brutal arctic air deep into the conus.

What the models missed with this was the undercutting of the AK ridge sending systems into Canada/PAC NW. Need that AK ridge to extend all the way south along the westcoast/just off the cost so NOTHING can crash in from the Pacific into the PAC NW/Canada. Yeah the AK ridge helped to send the Brutal stuff from the other side of the globe to Canada but it gets stopped short of the lower 48 except the Upper MW/N.Plains because of the under cutting and or faster flow across the country.

Could come back but till i see a massive ridge in the Pacific build up into AK with NO undercutting i would not count on it. That's me though. Doesn't mean it cant or wont be cold either as there is always other ways of getting cold down here in the lower 48.

What the models missed with this was the undercutting of the AK ridge sending systems into Canada/PAC NW. Need that AK ridge to extend all the way south along the westcoast/just off the cost so NOTHING can crash in from the Pacific into the PAC NW/Canada. Yeah the AK ridge helped to send the Brutal stuff from the other side of the globe to Canada but it gets stopped short of the lower 48 except the Upper MW/N.Plains because of the under cutting and or faster flow across the country.

Could come back but till i see a massive ridge in the Pacific build up into AK with NO undercutting i would not count on it. That's me though. Doesn't mean it cant or wont be cold either as there is always other ways of getting cold down here in the lower 48.

18z GFS stll seems to be binging the arctic cold into my region around the 16th.

fail... looks warm now in xtended.

yep, i wasn't quite sure where the gfs was heading in the long term. At one point it looked like it was going to take that storm early next week in the east and make it the conduit to bring down the motherlode. That didn't happen, and it looks like all the cold stays up in canada and rots away. By end of gfs run looks like 50's make a return here.

yep, i wasn't quite sure where the gfs was heading in the long term. At one point it looked like it was going to take that storm early next week in the east and make it the conduit to bring down the motherlode. That didn't happen, and it looks like all the cold stays up in canada and rots away. By end of gfs run looks like 50's make a return here.

You're usually good for an early "winter cancel" call. 12z GFS giving you good vibes? :lol:;)

Any good meteorological explanations for the huge shift in the upcoming pattern? It's rather remarkable to go from a potentially historic arctic outbreak to really warm.

I'm honestly not bringing this up to complain or vent...but it's odd how things could change so quickly.

Seems to me that the energy that keeps slamming the Pac NW is undercutting the western ridge, which in tune, keeps the cold stuff bottled up in Canada/exterme northern tier of the Upper Plains. In other words the ridge can't amplify north and send the "real" cold south, deep into the U.S. Of course take that FWIW, just a layman's guess. :)

Archived