Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5 Post per Day Limit

Snow_Miser

Hello everyone,

On Christmas Day I found a nice gift that I was only allowed to post 5 posts per day. I was baffled and perplexed. I tried to private message three administrators, but they have not responded. I really need an answer as to why I am restricted to 5 posts per day, because I don't know why, and it's frustrating me. If I am doing something wrong, please tell me so I can correct my error.

have you read the rules? these are the reasons why people get limited to 5 posts a day:

MODEL THREAD RULES

Threads discussing specific model runs (i.e., 00z NAM) are only to be used for discussing the current model run. Posts which deviate off-topic may be deleted, and multiple offenses will be dealt with either through a warning (see below) or 24 hour suspension of posting abilities. Our goal is to maintain a good flow of information and to see discussion from everyone in the model threads, but this does not mean there should be "how much for..." posts in these threads. If you want to discuss something outside the realm of the model, please feel free to start a new topic.

STORM MODE

Storm Mode is an operating mode that board goes into when there is a threat of high activity due to significant weather. Under Storm Mode, the normal warning system is suspended. Additional temporary moderators are added. Americanwx.com Staff may ban, suspend, first, and ask questions later. If you are becoming a problem, trolling, asking pro's repeatedly "how much for [your home town], this qualifies you for corrective action. All moderators are given full and unlimited abilities to suspend accounts. All reports from the weatherside will get first priority. Once the board calms down, regular board operating procedure goes back into effect.

Weatherside rules

No politics/religious discussion

No foul language

No personal attacks/OT arguing

Try to stay on topic

Attack the idea, not the poster

Spell out your forecast/thinking/opposing viewpoint clearly

If you post a map, explain it

Keep banter to a minimum during Storm Mode* (see below)

Normal Warn procedures

1st offense, Warn, automatic 5 posts per day limit imposed. To be removed at staff discretion after a 3 week period of no further offenses

2nd offense, suspended for 30 days Or permanent ban at admin discretion

3rd offense, ban without question

Storm Mode

1 offense, warn, 5 posts per day limit to be removed AFTER event.

2nd offense, suspension for duration of event or permanent ban

Well, the event is over, shouldn't the ban be lifted? I'm in the same category and thought I was a decent contributor since joining this forum. Was never even given the reason so I can correct the problem. It's not like we're 5 years old, many of us are adults, if we know what we did wrong, chances are most will maturely correct the problem-at-hand. A little communication goes a long way. We now return to our regularly scheduled program :wacko:

Well, the event is over, shouldn't the ban be lifted? I'm in the same category and thought I was a decent contributor since joining this forum. Was never even given the reason so I can correct the problem. It's not like we're 5 years old, many of us are adults, if we know what we did wrong, chances are most will maturely correct the problem-at-hand. A little communication goes a long way. We now return to our regularly scheduled program :wacko:

I think we need a tutorial or how to discuss the models. To be fair, SteveB, I don't recall any issues and suggest we all move forward. The comments are not specifically for you; lets all enjoy the Forum and the winter.

Some thoughts on how to discuss models.

1. Read the meteorologists' posts first, ask if you don't understand. If you pose a question to a meteorologist, use

the same quality of thought and grammar/spelling as you would with a college instructor, or at least, 12th grade

high school instructor. Do not ask any random thought "because you can". You are asking a scientific question

of a pro that is here on their own time. Make it an interesting question that you cannot figure out for yourself

with Google and the many places on the Internet with weather info and meteorology tutorials.

2. Go to weather.gov and look at the models as well as HPC and the numerous other excellent discussions.

Do your own independent briefing of hemispheric water vapor loops, enso state, other teleconnections, models

and ensembles. Compare emsemble to operation model output.

3. Did I suggest reading posts of other members with experience?

4. Discuss model validity

run to run consistency.

model vs. model

model vs. ensemble

model biases

model initiation comments

model to model agreement vs. "outlier"

4. Discuss standard levels of the atmosphere. Know 500 mb trends. Know the importance of

entrance of 300 mb jet. Know the many important concepts of the 700 mb chart. Know the

relationships of winter precipitation and the 850. Know about 850 mb WAA.

5. After completing steps 1 through 4, wade in to the model thread and discuss some

insight that allows everyone to enjoy the discussion.

Does Midlo give the 5 post restrictions? If so, I would like to Private Message him.

I've PM'd him a couple of times. PMing him on a daily basis would probably be counter-productive. It isn't all bad, makes one think before they post. A discipline I hope I keep whenever the 5 post is lifted.

the explanation is right in the storm mode rules and spelled out in detail. honestly, if people can't figure out why they were 5 posted, they should remain 5 posted until they can figure the obvious out.

Most of us hope that its you one day. Then again, 5 might be too much considering you rarely post anything worth freakin reading.

the explanation is right in the storm mode rules and spelled out in detail. honestly, if people can't figure out why they were 5 posted, they should remain 5 posted until they can figure the obvious out.

That's not enitrely fair. On the old board I was once given a 24 hour suspension for "trolling" which I thought was odd since I was posting in my home regional forum. I explained this to the admins and things were fixed. People do make mistakes.

Hello everyone,

On Christmas Day I found a nice gift that I was only allowed to post 5 posts per day. I was baffled and perplexed. I tried to private message three administrators, but they have not responded. I really need an answer as to why I am restricted to 5 posts per day, because I don't know why, and it's frustrating me. If I am doing something wrong, please tell me so I can correct my error.

I'm not the one that 5-posted you, but I did a little research.

You've had 20 posts deleted, mostly from the NYC obs threads. The content ranged from non-text, single emoticon replies, to pointless "I agree", "this sucks" type posts. When we're in storm mode, we ask that useless banter be kept out of wx-side posts, so that important information doesn't get buried.

Here's a tip: when you start seeing your posts disappear, you may want to think twice about what you're posting.

midlo will definitely be a better mod now that DT is on hyades. things should improve for yall.

Now that nothing is happening, and I've been rationing my posts in case of a strong storm near Houston area (0Z models, I'm going to look at them) I think its ok to toast a post to note for someone seeking an advanced degree at the leading land grant college in Kansas, "hiatus" is not that difficult a word to spell.

I just hope I'm off by tornado season. And I won't post Euro or GFS MOS QPF for an NFL city before a game ever again.

Most of my painfully, embarrasing stupid posts are in OT, anyway...

+100

Here's a tip: when you start seeing your posts disappear, you may want to think twice about what you're posting.

+100

Now that nothing is happening, and I've been rationing my posts in case of a strong storm near Houston area (0Z models, I'm going to look at them) I think its ok to toast a post to note for someone seeking an advanced degree at the leading land grant college in Kansas, "hiatus" is not that difficult a word to spell.

it's hyades.

I'm not the one that 5-posted you, but I did a little research.

You've had 20 posts deleted, mostly from the NYC obs threads. The content ranged from non-text, single emoticon replies, to pointless "I agree", "this sucks" type posts. When we're in storm mode, we ask that useless banter be kept out of wx-side posts, so that important information doesn't get buried.

Thanks for finally answering my question, Sickman. So no +1 or any single emotions or one word posts. Gotcha.

Can we implement "rollover posts"? If we don't post in 1 day can those 5 roll over to the next day giving 10 posts?

:huh:

The whole premise of 5/day is to get people to improve their post quality. If someone demonstrates that they can make quality posts consistently, they'll be taken off restriction.

i am or was on one also. i know my feelings on winter weather bother people here, but i do not think i have said anything on the weather side. if i did, it will cease. my dislike of snow does not make snow go away ya know. if it say something in OT about it, it is not like mother nature instantly steers storms away from washington and baltimore.

could be something else. wont go into detail here.

i am or was on one also. i know my feelings on winter weather bother people here, but i do not think i have said anything on the weather side. if i did, it will cease. my dislike of snow does not make snow go away ya know. if it say something in OT about it, it is not like mother nature instantly steers storms away from washington and baltimore.

i dont think you were.. i cant see any indication you were

they limited you to 5 complaints a day, not 5 posts a day

Most of the problem posters here, despite ALLEGEDLY being adults, never change and do the same crap over and over.

AmericanWX should never be a clearinghouse for man-boys who can't grow up, and such types should not be made to feel welcome here.

Archived