Newest Member
    joxey
:axe:

Ian

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From TBD - Mets in full CYA mode :arrowhead:

D.C. storm: THIS is what 6 to 10 inches of snow looks like?

To recap: After struggling for a week to pinpoint the track and intensity of this mondo coastal storm, meteorologists in the Baltimore/Washington office of the National Weather Service decided there was enough consensus among computer models to say the D.C. region could have an earth-shaking snowstorm. Six-to-10-inches big.

Most news stations in town publicized that formidable estimate when it came out on Christmas Day. And now people who cut their vacations short to beat the snow-packed roads to and from D.C. are probably wondering, Where'd the blizzard go?

The answer is that it went to the Eastern Shore, drowning Salisbury and its environs with up to 14 inches of snow; it visited Philadelphia with 20 inches of snow expected; it traveled to New York City with a foot in the forecast; and it's going to put the hurt on Boston, Maine and beyond. Many people probably slept in an airport last night.

But the worst missed us. The most snow logged by weather spotters by Sunday night was 0.4 inches in Alexandria. So, was the local NWS office wrong to issue its six-to-10-inch estimate?

There was some grumbling to that effect from a couple meteorologists in this news outlet, who believed on Christmas that the snowfall would be less but felt obligated to report the official prediction.

"There was some grumbling to that effect from a couple meteorologists in this news outlet, who believed on Christmas that the snowfall would be less but felt obligated to report the official prediction."

This bugs the living daylights out of me. It used to be that weather forecasters could report what they thought would happen, but it seems more and more that they simply spit out what the national weather service says, right or wrong. I have no problems with them reporting what NWS says, but they should also give their opinions, rather than simply grumbling after the fact.

Not only do I see it with the NWS, but I also see it with some other forecasting service that provides graphics to a few stations. It makes the meteorologists out to simply report what someone else says, rather than using their own heads for this stuff.

Mdjnr

before goiing on air, at least in baltimore, , I know for a fact that tv station mets call sterling , va and check their facts against what the nws is speculating. They predominately put out what the nws says. One of the mets in baltimore said on friday night ""flurries for baltimore;''''' and he was the only one even close to what occurred. Two stations went with their chief met forecast and blew it completely. One station in particular stated, at 11:30 am on sunday that the storm was '''fizzling out''''. I am friends with one of the mets and this is what he told me. He said he was only the '' messenger''' and followed computer printouts and nws calls.I think that there is only one station that has a """met""" officially, by degree and training, heading up their staffl. I wont mention that stations name. They are ususally pretty accurate, However that station blew the call last winter on the first 10' snowfall for the winter. He later apologized on air for the missed call.

before goiing on air, at least in baltimore, , I know for a fact that tv station mets call sterling , va and check their facts against what the nws is speculating. They predominately put out what the nws says. One of the mets in baltimore said on friday night ""flurries for baltimore;''''' and he was the only one even close to what occurred. Two stations went with their chief met forecast and blew it completely. One station in particular stated, at 11:30 am on sunday that the storm was '''fizzling out''''. I am friends with one of the mets and this is what he told me. He said he was only the '' messenger''' and followed computer printouts and nws calls.

silly to blame the nws in my opinion... even the skeptics for most of the week started to believe at least a little by late fri/ early saturday.

no reason a local met couldnt have stayed with flurries if they saw it that way but also report that the nws was going for more imo.

Hey, cheer up guys - the GFS says the snow anus is going to take a pounding!

http://www.nco.ncep....2/fp0_324.shtml

And at only 324 hours away, it's basically a lock ;-)

This one really hurts...bad. The only consolation I can take from it is that my in-laws didn't get snowed in at my place yesterday.

yeah i was sorta glad it looks like my bro's house only got like 7-10" or so... ;) my old home just west in the hills prob got a good bit more though never really dry slotted. somehow BOS still got 18"+ it seems. nj/nyc area absolutely slammed.

This really hurt as it was not the typical screw job. I am used to the Miller B screw jobs and the occasional suppressed screw job. However, this was a Miller A screw job that hit all around us. What makes it worse is that we have been hearing for months about the lack of KU type storms in mod/strong Ninas and then this beast shows up and we get nothing. I still can't believe the trough orientation and eventual storm path that this had to take in order to produce this screw job. It was the perfect storm in terms of DC screw jobs.

BTW, when's the next threat..... :arrowhead:

MDstorm

Archived