Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    19,040
    Total Members
    49,013
    Most Online
    loganboehmewx
    Newest Member
    loganboehmewx
    Joined

October 2026 general discussion


Typhoon Tip
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The leaves are really popping here. I can’t recall the last time they looked this good this early locally. Even the oaks are starting to flip.

Already 68° off a min of 60.4°

I was just thinking, hasn’t really been many cold mornings either. Maybe a little summer Stein helps?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mm  what that Wiki definition misses is the psycho-babble 'real' reason why that practice of over-bearing attention to grammatical details became a thing in the first place.

Shame of personal ignorance and petty need to come across as smarter than they fear they've just been exposed...

I've seen countless online exchanges between people that grew heated ... usually over remarkably low-bar intellectual nuggets if not petty avoidance of admitting one is wrong.  The one that's getting most irate and taking it personally first is both usually most wrong, and, the one that starts nit picking not just grammar but semantics, too.  

The reason people do that, they don't even have to be in a hostile state, either.  They arrive to the on-line scene with self-doubt and hiding already in mind.  They've taken on that role in online relating because they actually don't bring substantive value, either in in the form of learned information, nor innovative thinking - either way.  Dullard, and trying to hide it.  So they're relying on something easy, and ultimately a tactically avoidant redirect.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was just thinking, hasn’t really been many cold mornings either. Maybe a little summer Stein helps?

Idk…the trees don’t seem stressed. We’ve had decent rain in Aug and Sep unlike last year. The colors are vibrant…not the sickly looking color last year that quickly browned.

I think all of those cooler max temp days and 50s for highs are having an effect. 

  • Like 2
  • Weenie 1
  • 100% 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dendrite said:

Idk…the trees don’t seem stressed. We’ve had decent rain in Aug and Sep unlike last year. The colors are vibrant…not the sickly looking color last year that quickly browned.

I think all of those cooler max temps days and 50s for highs are having an effect. 

We have some stressed trees here, but I did notice the typical maples are kind of vibrant this year too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Idk…the trees don’t seem stressed. We’ve had decent rain in Aug and Sep unlike last year. The colors are vibrant…not the sickly looking color last year that quickly browned.

I think all of those cooler max temp days and 50s for highs are having an effect. 

I noticed they go bananas after those couple cool, frosty mornings like a week ago?  Forget when that was but it was like 3-4 days of sun, high diurnal swings and frosty valleys.

Immediately after that the leaves went nuts up here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I noticed they go bananas after those couple cool, frosty mornings like a week ago?  Forget when that was but it was like 3-4 days of sun, high diurnal swings and frosty valleys.

Immediately after that the leaves went nuts up here.

We had that one min in the upper 30s here…maybe 35-38 in the area depending on elevation. We’ve had a lot of Septembers with more 30s than that.

Whatever it is, everything is lining up for a great season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I noticed they go bananas after those couple cool, frosty mornings like a week ago?  Forget when that was but it was like 3-4 days of sun, high diurnal swings and frosty valleys.

Immediately after that the leaves went nuts up here.

I don’t remember if I posted BTV before, but I was going through some of the old climo links and found their old normals. Pretty drastic shift warmer there in the last 30 yrs.

https://wrcc-archive.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliNORMNCDC.pl?vt1081

https://wrcc-archive.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?vt1081

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I don’t remember if I posted BTV before, but I was going through some of the old climo links and found their old normals. Pretty drastic shift warmer there in the last 30 yrs.

https://wrcc-archive.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliNORMNCDC.pl?vt1081

https://wrcc-archive.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?vt1081

I’ve long thought if you wanted a poster child for warming, BTV is it.  Before the new normals came out, it felt like every month started at +2 as a baseline.

The place just doesn’t cool off at night anymore for the most part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We always are ahead of most places in CT other than NW CT for foliage despite never being cold at night . I really think it’s mainly due to the cooler days than other areas. It’s about peak for maples this weekend . But Oaks mainly green with some yellows . We really two peak seasons here. One for other species and another for Oaks 

  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Idk…the trees don’t seem stressed. We’ve had decent rain in Aug and Sep unlike last year. The colors are vibrant…not the sickly looking color last year that quickly browned.

I think all of those cooler max temp days and 50s for highs are having an effect. 

We had 107% of average rain April-June but only 66% for July-Sept.  However, we had frosts on 23-24 and 8 other September mornings in the 30s.  Whatever the reason, the colors have been spectacular.

Currently I'm watching sugar maple leaves raining past the window, despite nearly calm wind and 60s, so we'll soon be past peak.  The morning low of 60 here is 20° AN, and yesterday's 73 was only one degree below the warmest we had last month.  Clouds still look thick, so I don't think we'll get much past 70, if any at all.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...