• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
May 2024 General Discussion

That's what they look like up here in TH, too. The entire sky, except an area to the S of me is full of green, reddish, pinkish, purplish mix. But they are softer in intensity than the pics above.

Tried my digital camera, but they didn't turn out that great. I tried!:lol:

Nothern lights May 10 2024.jpg

Nothern lights May 10 2024 pic2.jpg

• Like 2

It's possible that the stronger band may have been more S of me. Usually I have the stronger bands up here on regular events that are brighter than this one tonight. Currently, as of 10:45, they are pretty faint now. Love the multi-color mix. :) 

It's possible that the stronger band may have been more S of me. Usually I have the stronger bands up here on regular events that are brighter than this one tonight. Currently, as of 10:45, they are pretty faint now. Love the multi-color mix.  

I’m having to look overhead and south right now in central Minnesota in order to see them too. Crazy. Never had to do that before.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brian D said:

It's possible that the stronger band may have been more S of me. Usually I have the stronger bands up here on regular events that are brighter than this one tonight. Currently, as of 10:45, they are pretty faint now. Love the multi-color mix. :) 

I had that happen a couple times when I went to MTU.  

My pictures didn't do it justice.  I have seen several and I would say this was the second best show I have ever seen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KeenerWx said:

Caught the ole dipper in top left corner in this one. :D

947B6DE9-33B3-4D3C-9020-0EA33CA28B6F.jpeg

There were times it looked liked the Aurora were pouring out of the big dipper.  It was so cool.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lightning said:

There were times it looked liked the Aurora were pouring out of the big dipper.  It was so cool.  

Top tier solar event for this latitude, for sure. Wild it comes so shortly on the heels of the eclipse. I’d suppose we’re rather lucky. 

• Like 1

Tonight has been incredible. Went to the wildlife refuge near Zimmerman and saw the Aurora fill nearly the entire sky. Eventually it became a long E-W band parked overhead and just to the south of me. I’ve never seen such consistent and wide sky coverage before. Not the brightest I’ve ever seen but certainly the largest and most active. Getting to see it setup and dance directly overhead is breathtaking and jaw dropping. Just wish I had a good camera with me.

DD7C1F12-1714-4802-8B2F-33D1E9C770DF.jpeg

D8F56BF0-A17E-477C-8F7F-6FE6DB5B25EE.jpeg

4AEC6195-91AD-4A4B-8D50-871625614B2D.jpeg

• Like 10

Frost advisory for inland NE MN this morning. Got down to 30-35. Very nice day on tap with mild temps ahead of the next front pushing through this weekend. MN fishing opener today, so fishing wx looks great! Temps running upper 60's-low 70's with 70's tomorrow. Cooler by the Lake as usual. 

Kp index still strong, with aurora too. Hopefully it will last into tonight for another great show.

May 11 kp chrt.jpg

aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 3:02 PM, Chicago Storm said:
Will be headed up to NW. Illinois after work later for the Northern Lights, if things are still looking good.
That area will have the best combination of the least amount of light pollution and earliest exit of clouds.

That shit was amazing.

Sat out in NW. Illinois from when it cleared ~11:30PM till 3AM. I should have stayed longer too, with a secondary peak 3:30-4:30AM, but I was barely hanging on as it was. Too many pictures to even go through, but hopefully will have a few up eventually.

• Like 2