• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024

Just now, MJO812 said:

The CMC kept showing the primary further south than the other models which showed a favorable transfer and a solution for our area while the other models were showing the opposite. 

I thought we had a small chance with the strong blocking but nothing has been working out for us. 

This is a NNE snowstorm

The stronger blocking is only good when it doesn't link up with the WAR which has been forcing these systems further NW.

This one is allowed to escape up the Wrn edge of the block all the way to Lale Huron before transferring. That's never going to work out for us down here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JetsPens87 said:

A stronger WAR in recent history hasn't helped.

Bluewave is likely right about it being fueled by ever warmer SSTs

Bingo 

The recent uptick in the water temps us making the SE ridge stronger.  Usually with a strong block the primary will not go this far north and transfer further south .

• Like 2

Just now, JetsPens87 said:

The stronger blocking is only good when it doesn't link up with the WAR which has been forcing these systems further NW.

This one is allowed to escape up the Wrn edge of the block all the way to Lale Huron before transferring. That's never going to work out for us down here.

In the past 2 winters we have been screwed even with a negative nao because it has linked up with the WAR.

• Like 1

Just now, JetsPens87 said:

It's not the worst model but I don't see it as a leading tool. 

These days the only option is a blend of everything and especially favoring ensembles.

Good way to go

Every model has its days

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

this is the south based block Chris has been talking about

Chris has received alot of weenies this past winter but he did a great job when everyone including myself was hard on him for being a warnista.

Same can be said for Allsnow. I think frustrations are setting in for many snow enthusiasts. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

Chris has received alot of weenies this past winter but he did a great job when everyone including myself was hard on him for being a warnista.

Same can be said for Allsnow. I think frustrations are setting in for many snow enthusiasts. 

The warning signs were there early this year

1.   December warmth was much more widespread that many predicted

2.  The pattern change delay into mid Jan.  And even at that, you could see modeling returning the warmth very quickly-so it was only 8-9 days

3.  The Feb pattern change was more of the same-a couple days of cold then back to the torch.   

It was really over before it began this year and we were lucky to get the snow we got given a +5 Dec, +3 Jan +2 Feb and +5 March

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

and of course snowman19.  He was actually more gungho about February and he ended up being right about the one decent snowfall we did get, which was in February.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

The warning signs were there early this year

1.   December warmth was much more widespread that many predicted

2.  The pattern change delay into mid Jan.  And even at that, you could see modeling returning the warmth very quickly-so it was only 8-9 days

3.  The Feb pattern change was more of the same-a couple days of cold then back to the torch.   

It was really over before it began this year and we were lucky to get the snow we got given a +5 Dec, +3 Jan +2 Feb and +5 March

Many forecasts were for a warm and snowless winter but there were hope from the weeklies which never materialized. 

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

and of course snowman19.  He was actually more gungho about February and he ended up being right about the one decent snowfall we did get, which was in February.

But snowman19 also forecasts no snow so is that a compliment?

38 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I was just going to ask you this, why are these primary storms with lows going to Buffalo becoming more common now?

What happened to our Miller A's the real coastal snowstorms?

I hate Miller B's..... even in winter we usually get the backside from them.

There is always a screw zone with Miller B's although the NYC metro usually does well but not in all cases. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

There is always a screw zone with Miller B's although the NYC metro usually does well but not in all cases. 

They're pretty good for Suffolk County and the north shore sometimes back to the city.  The screw zone is usually us on the south shore, especially the western part back to central NJ.  I think your climate is very similar to my climate, in that I see the same storms screw north central NJ that hurt me here in SW Nassau County.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

They're pretty good for Suffolk County and the north shore sometimes back to the city.  The screw zone is usually us on the south shore, especially the western part back to central NJ.  I think your climate is very similar to my climate, in that I see the same storms screw north central NJ that hurt me here in SW Nassau County.

In my experience the screw zone is usually south of Monmouth/Mercer Counties in NJ and especially Philly south but like I said not in all cases as there have been a more then one occasion where the NYC metro got "screwed"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

In my experience the screw zone is usually south of Monmouth/Mercer Counties in NJ and especially Philly south but like I said not in all cases as there have been a more then one occasion where the NYC metro got "screwed"

I recall December 2005 as one of the more infamous examples of this.... zero snow here and the LGA got 3" and NYC got 6"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I was just going to ask you this, why are these primary storms with lows going to Buffalo becoming more common now?

What happened to our Miller A's the real coastal snowstorms?

I hate Miller B's..... even in winter we usually get the backside from them.

The Southeast ridge has become a big player since the 15-16 super El Niño. 

New run

CF539D10-DBDD-4663-9231-564B226BBF07.thumb.png.b8e3a0f85a1cb396bc25668101367cb1.png

Old run

FD6617C2-05D9-4BD7-A847-EECA5B5F7BB7.thumb.png.8a657f367e693548695f2d3051bb0ec0.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1