Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
In like a lamb--out like a Lion. March 1958 redux long range thread

Ji

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

But in seriousness @Ji the low is 985 off OC and it’s 41 in DC at the height of the storm. It’s not even close!  It would need to be a ridiculously anomalous event to overcome the temps

Could be quite the paste job for places further west.

4 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Could be quite the paste job for places further west.

Even for my area it’s 35 during the height. It’s definitely snow but I doubt much accumulation at those temps. Places at or above 2000 feet sure! 

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Even for my area it’s 35 during the height. It’s definitely snow but I doubt much accumulation at those temps. Places at or above 2000 feet sure! 

PSU---remember the old Euro--from like 2 weeks ago. Wouldnt that imply a colder solution?

ecmwf_T850_us_65.png

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

For those who want to see snow in marginal events with low pressure hugging the coast- especially in Spring- they know what to do!

34 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There could be some instability in meso banding. We could even see localized thunder rain!  

its not really a perfect track. Its like more like a march 1993 track right?

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

That low is inland actually. Pretty low chance for frozen with that track in the lowlands. Not in late March. Head to Canaan.

haha--those lowland people

22 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Even for my area it’s 35 during the height. It’s definitely snow but I doubt much accumulation at those temps. Places at or above 2000 feet 

Probably west of Hancock ends up with a 1' + if it played out like the Euro AI shows

1 hour ago, Heisy said:

Even if it’s a rainstorm it’s still a pretty interesting test for this model. It’s been showing a large system at this range for few runs now

It’s very likely too late for a lowland snow, but I’m interested in the AIFS test case, too. 

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

That low is inland actually. Pretty low chance for frozen with that track in the lowlands. Not in late March. Head to Canaan.

14 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

It’s very likely too late for a lowland snow, but I’m interested in the AIFS test case, too. 

Yea, verily, let it be so. I think @nj2va might be one of the few to agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ji said:

its not really a perfect track. Its like more like a march 1993 track right?

No it’s a perfect track for a 95 snowstorm if it wasn’t late March.  I posted the mslp animation. Go through the KU book. You’ll find plenty similar tracks.  Problem is it’s March in a warmer climate. 

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

You’re east of the bay. Your ideal track is east of 95 and frankly you want a track that would fringe me. That track is inside for you. But if this was winter with a normal colder airmass that is a perfect track for a big snow along 95. Maybe it mixes with sleet as is common along 95.  But as you said it’s not mid winter it’s late March.  Thing is 95 doesn’t want a further east track. That wouldn’t help. There is no low level cold anywhere. We want a tighly tucked bomb. We just need it to be even more amplified. 975 maybe!  970?  Yea that’s crazy but that’s what it would take to overcome the time of year and low level crap air mass. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ji said:

it really should. I have been calling for a storm in this time frame now since November haha

Early prediction for next winter- moderate to heavy snow event in the first 10 days of January for the lowlands. Easy. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, Ji said:

18z aifs is def snow. May not stick but it’s snow lol

Remember what I said. Give me 2 conserving runs where more than one major global shows snow and I’ll pay more attention. I will accept the AIFS in that. 

• Haha 2