Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Discobs 2024

George BM

On 2/27/2024 at 11:51 AM, WEATHER53 said:

Most all high end predictions don’t work out anymore but let’s see if the Mega Front concept still can .

its my own arbitrary but these are the parameters to qualify around DC . Either/Or does it

13 degree drop in one hour.

18 degree drop in 2 hours 

23 degree drop in 3 hours

28 degree drop in 6 hours 

35 degree drop in 12 hours

42 degree drop in 24 hours 

I believe great November front if 1995 that set off great 95-96 winter qualified on all 6 or 5 of 6 and I can’t remember another that did. 

Went from 59 at 6pm Wednesday to 29 at 6am Friday so 30  degree drop in 12 hours which was very  impressive but not quite Mega 

Started out around 6 AM PT as rain, had about a hour of sleet and is now heavy snow. This is a pic from the balcony. Visbys alternate between ~1/8 and ~1/2 mile. I don’t have an anemometer but guessing gusts have been in the 40-50 range with a few touching 60. Closest reliable reporting station is Tahoe/Donner (TADC1) and says temp is 31 with similar wind reports. 

IMG_1552-compressed.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, katabatic said:

Started out around 6 AM PT as rain, had about a hour of sleet and is now heavy snow. This is a pic from the balcony. Visbys alternate between ~1/8 and ~1/2 mile. I don’t have an anemometer but guessing gusts have been in the 40-50 range with a few touching 60. Closest reliable reporting station is Tahoe/Donner (TADC1) and says temp is 31 with similar wind reports. 

IMG_1552-compressed.jpeg

You may get a great history with this shot as the trees to the left go under the snow as well as that box and lift apparatus 

• Like 1

Neighbor has been keeping up with weather numbers while I am gone (and feeding kitty), texted this morning and updated today for end of month for CoCoRaHS, so here goes.....

Averaged high temp for month was 52.9 degrees vs a normal of 46.0 degrees, a +6.9 degrees above average. The warmest day was the 27th with a 65.7 degree reading. Averaged low was 28.7 degrees vs a normal of 24.0 degrees, a +4.7 degrees above average. The coldest reading was 18.8 degrees on the 18th. Overall averaged temp was 40.8 degrees vs a normal of 35.0 degrees, a +5.8 degrees above average. Total precip for the month was 2.25 inches vs a normal of 2.67, a -0.42 below average. The wettest day was the 13th with 0.72 inches falling. There were 10 days with measurable, 4 days with a 'T' and 15 dry days. Total snowfall for the month was a terrible 'T' vs a normal of 5.9 inches, -5.9 inches below average with 4 days that occurring, 1st, 13th, 16th and 17th. Rest of month was snowless. This ties for 2nd least snowiest Feb with 1990/91/99 and 2017 and just behind 1988's completely snowless month. The highest wind recorded for month was 39 mph on the 14th. Two new records, both new 'warm minimum's, set on 11th and 12th. Overall, a very warm and semi-dry month, with hardly any snow. 

Still in CA (today is wife's last official 'working day', retirement together commences tomorrow), headed to Park City tomorrow (least I will get my snow fix in) to see son a couple of days, then driving back home starting Monday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Neighbor has been keeping up with weather numbers while I am gone (and feeding kitty), texted this morning and updated today for end of month for CoCoRaHS, so here goes.....

Averaged high temp for month was 52.9 degrees vs a normal of 46.0 degrees, a +6.9 degrees above average. The warmest day was the 27th with a 65.7 degree reading. Averaged low was 28.7 degrees vs a normal of 24.0 degrees, a +4.7 degrees above average. The coldest reading was 18.8 degrees on the 18th. Overall averaged temp was 40.8 degrees vs a normal of 35.0 degrees, a +5.8 degrees above average. Total precip for the month was 2.25 inches vs a normal of 2.67, a -0.42 below average. The wettest day was the 13th with 0.72 inches falling. There were 10 days with measurable, 4 days with a 'T' and 15 dry days. Total snowfall for the month was a terrible 'T' vs a normal of 5.9 inches, -5.9 inches below average with 4 days that occurring, 1st, 13th, 16th and 17th. Rest of month was snowless. This ties for 2nd least snowiest Feb with 1990/91/99 and 2017 and just behind 1988's completely snowless month. The highest wind recorded for month was 39 mph on the 14th. Two new records, both new 'warm minimum's, set on 11th and 12th. Overall, a very warm and semi-dry month, with hardly any snow. 

Still in CA (today is wife's last official 'working day', retirement together commences tomorrow), headed to Park City tomorrow (least I will get my snow fix in) to see son a couple of days, then driving back home starting Monday. 

Hey friend - hope you get across the mountains in good shape! Stay safe and carry all kinds of extra food/water/blankets with you. Have a great time in Park City. 

• Like 1

When the terms blowing and drifting made their way into the forecast, the Mets were on to something. Power has gone out twice but somehow miraculously came back on. No idea how much so far but at least a foot. Fortunately the condo has a facilities team who are keeping the lot passable. Updated P&C totals are insane. 

IMG_1559-compressed.png

IMG_1567-compressed.jpeg

IMG_1562-compressed.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, katabatic said:

When the terms blowing and drifting made their way into the forecast, the Mets were on to something. Power has gone out twice but somehow miraculously came back on. No idea how much so far but at least a foot. Fortunately the condo has a facilities team who are keeping the lot passable. Updated P&C totals are insane. 

IMG_1559-compressed.png

IMG_1567-compressed.jpeg

IMG_1562-compressed.jpeg

Ok is that the entrance with closer up picture of bare pavement from yesterday ?

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
On 2/29/2024 at 12:50 PM, wxdude64 said:

Driving across the country, or making a circle around the country is a amazing experience.... 3 years ago we did a circle - I did all the driving , rental car receipt said 5495 miles in 10 days ......

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 12:25 AM, Jrlg1181 said:

Driving across the country, or making a circle around the country is a amazing experience.... 3 years ago we did a circle - I did all the driving , rental car receipt said 5495 miles in 10 days ......

Got home last night about 8 pm. Put 5500 miles on the car in 11 days (an oil change is planned for later today + a good scrubbing). Saw temps range from 70's to single digits, sun/wind/rain and snow. Overall a great trip, but boy do several states need to work on their roads!! (I'm looking at you IN and IL! Arizona gets a consolation prize for 3rd place.)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Got home last night about 8 pm. Put 5500 miles on the car in 11 days (an oil change is planned for later today + a good scrubbing). Saw temps range from 70's to single digits, sun/wind/rain and snow. Overall a great trip, but boy do several states need to work on their roads!! (I'm looking at you IN and IL! Arizona gets a consolation prize for 3rd place.)

We did a circuit driving trip to the Grand Canyon late last summer and put about the same amount of miles you just quoted on our 2009 Honda Pilot (which, after that trip, currently has ~97K miles on it). I'd have to say that last summer, AZ, NM and OK had some of the worst roads we've encountered ever.

BUT...I'm not retiring that trophy yet, as we're doing another extended driving trip in a more SW trajectory in a few weeks to see our sons in El Paso, and will be going through additional states that we did not navigate last summer....GA, AL, LA, MS. I'm thinking that we'll definitely find some additionally challenging roads in this next stretch.  ;)