• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2024

George BM

This storm may be a fail. Snow is light and sporadic. I think the base state DOES apply to the Sierra after all. The initial push of moisture  proved to be very light. NWS will probably need to trend forecasts down by a couple of feet. However, 4 to 6 feet of new snow is still a serious,  if not outright biblical magnitude blizzard for the Sierra. Mammoth may end up skating with a lot less snow. It's blowing hard but has been very light all day. I would say 3 feet for Mammoth and 3 to 5 feet for Tahoe. This thing is wimping out at the last minute.

Damn. I craved a monumental biblical snowstorm. These things are getting rarer and rarer. Ha ha that ten feet for Mammoth is in trouble lol, they got one inch today uh oh.

2 hours later....... Very light snow at both Palisades and Mammoth. Very breezy. So far this storm has far more bark than bite lol. NWS, your apocalyptic forecasts for the Sierra ski resorts are ALL in dire peril. NWS, quit smokin all that GFS hashish! Would you believe this shoosh? They sent the HURRICANE HUNTERS into the pacific storm! LMFAO x 999 decillion! This storm does not have 11 inches of water. It will NOT dump twelve feet of snow. It is more likely to snow 5 feet in Tahoe and 2-3 feet in Mammoth. Cameras at both resorts show very light snow being blasted by very strong winds. NWS needs to quit the beer bong, right now. The GFS is WRONG. The storm is trending DRIER, not wetter and not colder. The trend, is NOT your friend, Sierra! You might end up dry as a Texan martini on Bar Rescue! LUCY has her eyes on your storm, Sierra lmfao!

Damn. I am bitterly disappointed. The snow is so damned LIGHT. I am ready to jump right off the Ledge. Reaper, please reap me again in some offhand way. I am officially giving up on the Sierra Winter. The Base State has won, and WON BIG. I WAS BALLS WRONG. THE SIERRA DOES, AND WILL, LET YOU DOWN.

I had my heart all set on watching torrential snows blow across the parking lot on the Woolly Cam at Mammoth. I craved to watch the PLOW bounce right off too much snow on the Woolly Lot. Lucy is a very mean lady. She pulled that blizzard right out from under us! Lucy pulled the rug so hard I smashed my head real hard on a snowless granite ground and got a life-threatening concussion! I am so damn depressed and inconsolable!

Mammoth has near zero visibility in blowing CLOUDS of water vapor and extremely light pixie snow! NOTHING on the lot! Wow what a monumental BUST, for all-time! To give you an idea of why I am so disappointed: They were calling for 36 inches TODAY! What a fooking BUST! They were lucky to get an INCH! An INCH all day! That's like the Allegheny Front this winter!

Tahoe has light snow. Mammoth has about 24 flurries. Aggregates are having a TOUGH time forming in that FAIL of a so-called "blizzard". Main Lodge camera shows extremely thick FOG, with NO additional snow accums on the black roof on on the deck. This smells like a BIG FAIL. It's EPIC tonight! You'd have a better chance of seeing snow in Falls Church Virginia, than in this rug pull of a storm.

Wow Main Lodge has a few flurries! Wow, better rename this place Washington, DC! lmao. Okay, to be fair, Palisades Base at 6200 feet has moderate snow. Maybe they can salvage this massive debacle. They already LOST three feet of snow they never got today. Maybe they will get 48 inches by next Wednesday. Maybe.

• Sad 1

Tahoe is getting some steady snow. Mammoth is getting a few flurries. NWS will end up trimming the amounts down some. It is doing some snowing but overall  this storm is much much much drier than models have been predicting. That Goofus model is extremely  high on snow crack. This storm does not have eleven inches of water.  Maybe three or four. NWS has been hugging the GFS like a damned overexcited snow weenie. No, NWS has been outright making passionate love to the GFS! Tahoe might get 6 inches overnight. Mammoth will have a few passing flurries. Damaging hurricane wind gusts are the big story with this storm. Snow amounts, naso much. Actually, hardly any snow at all. Tahoe might eke out 24 inches by next Thursday. Mammoth might get a few inches, barely plowable. I wanted that heavy snow so bad, especially in Mammoth.  But the base state won again. Even the Sierra have to abide by it.  This Pacific storm is drier than a Texan martini in a successful Bar Rescue nightclub. Damn the base state, and damn Lucy to hell.

Poor Mammoth. No snow at all. All that hyping by the media and NWS came to nothing. I would not be surprised if it was sunny and 49 degrees and a spectacular bluebird day tomorrow in Mammoth. I feel sorry for katabatic. He is in Donner Pass amid clouds and crazy high damaging winds and in all likelihood, occasional flurries and not much else. If you listened to the crazy weather reports 72 hours ago and stocked up, you must feel foolish as fook now! This so called total FARCE of a storm has spectacularly fizzled right out. 

This is now a laughable case of March 2001 for the California Ski Resorts. Meteorologists can write up some papers on the mysterious dried up Pacific West Coast Blizzard of Feb 29-Mar 5 2024, once they get done wiping EGG off of their faces.

NWS. You forecast 36 inches in Tahoe for Feb 29. You stated it would start at 10am local time. It did not start until late afternoon! They were fortunate to get maybe 5 inches! Can I have some of that prime hashish you are smoking? RENO NWS is insisting amounts have increased. They insist 10 feet by Sunday Mammoth Mountain. NWS, get off of the damn goofus model! Throw it out! All we have are flurries at Mammoth! The winds are very strong, you got that very correct. Back slowly away from the GFS! It is flat out WRONG!

11 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

The coldest high (not during a rainstorm) between April 15 and May 15 in 2019 was 62 degrees.  Most days were in the 70s.  I think the -NAO ruining our springs has been a bigger narrative than it has a reality.  

Damn really? I guess our elevation here helps a lot especially when you live at 3500' or higher. 

Not really sure why visibilities are getting so low on woolly camera at Mammoth. Winds are increasing a lot. That wind is beginning to take on a kind of milkshake  froth appearance.  Not really understanding what I am seeing here. Okay there is some increase in areal coverage of  snow on the woolly lot. It is blowing around a lot more than it did at 3am my time. Winds are gusting to damaging speeds. If snow is actually  accumulating, it will be extremely difficult to measure because of 90 mph gusts.

I am not hugging the gfs. This snow is probably only a brief shower or two. This storm is a day late and one hell of a dollar short!  We shall see but I am not fooled by the goofus's siren song of 10 to 12 feet. That is pure nonsense. Maybe a foot for Mammoth over the next 10 days including the next storm later next week. I threw that useless gfs out! It's an outlier.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, Jebman said:

Not really sure why visibilities are getting so low on woolly camera at Mammoth. Winds are increasing a lot. That wind is beginning to take on a kind of milkshake  froth appearance.  Not really understanding what I am seeing here. Okay there is some increase in areal coverage of  snow on the woolly lot. It is blowing around a lot more than it did at 3am my time. Winds are gusting to damaging speeds. If snow is actually  accumulating, it will be extremely difficult to measure because of 90 mph gusts.

I am not hugging the gfs. This snow is probably only a brief shower or two. This storm is a day late and one hell of a dollar short!  We shall see but I am not fooled by the goofus's siren song of 10 to 12 feet. That is pure nonsense. Maybe a foot for Mammoth over the next 10 days including the next storm later next week. I threw that useless gfs out! It's an outlier.

They seem to have measured gusts at 145mph..

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=rev&issuedby=REV&product=PNS

image.png.fe34f8a1a46eb70f69c84f04dcbc3264.png

Notice how their gadget drops the highest to the bottom because its not set for 3 digit measurements.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GramaxRefugee said:

They seem to have measured gusts at 145mph..

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=rev&issuedby=REV&product=PNS

image.png.fe34f8a1a46eb70f69c84f04dcbc3264.png

Notice how their gadget drops the highest to the bottom because its not set for 3 digit measurements.

The winds have been very bad. NWS got that right. Palisades is shut down because of winds. I doubt Tahoe got much more total snow than 10 to 15 inches. Mammoth got one inch overnight. Mammoth is running their lifts, probably because the winds there may not be as severe. The snowfall sure is no problem lmfao. Six to ten feet my @ss. This storm has got damaging winds but it is turning out to be a hell of a lot drier than what that gfs was printing out. Palisades will get 2 to 3 feet by Tuesday. Mammoth might eke out 8 inches by the end of next week.

I am just sick with disappointment.  I craved a total snow disaster replete with cottonwood canyon style avalanches and huge drifts and people stuck on roads in ten feet of snow. But alas Lucy pulled the football and left me on my ass crying with disappointment. Base state for the Loss.

Wow 145 mph gusts. Category 5 hurricane force winds! No wonder Tahoe shut down the entire resort. You would have to have a death wish to be out roaming around in that maelstrom. Not sure even a snowcat would be a good idea.

I think there are now about 4 inches of snow on the wooly lot at Mammoth. Snow there is steady.

As of 230pm central time, woolly lot camera is showing considerable snow rates with a few rather large aggregates. Snow on the lot looks to possibly be ~ 6 inches deep.

Mammoth is turning into a  milkshake froth at times. You can barely see the Mammoth from the woolly cam lmao! Winds are really picking up amid moderate snow. That WIND is blowing all that fresh snow all over! This is becoming intriguing lol.

As of 848pm central time, apparently moderate to heavy snow is assaulting both Tahoe and Mammoth. Tahoe has been under assault since yesterday. Tahoe probably has at least 12 to 18 inches. Mammoth is unbelievable, heavy snow whipped around by winds that tonight are forecast to reach 115mph. That's Category 3 hurricane force gusts! They are calling for up to 39 inches just tonight/overnight. Not sure how much has fallen at Mammoth. The problem is very high winds, it is going to be very difficult to verify just how much snow has fallen. I think based on eyeballing the woolly lot and the Village lot, about 8 inches of snow have fallen at Mammoth but the reality is probably more than that. Drifting is getting ridiculous, I have been scopelocked on Mammoth since November, some of these shacks are developing 6 foot drifts, could be taller. These winds are life threatening. I can see why Ski Patrol has shut things down at Mammoth and gotten folks in buildings. The drift by the mammoth on woolly lot looks to be about five feet but is likely taller. With the milkshake froth developing from heavy pac moisture snow and extreme wind gusts, it will be easy to become disorientated and lost then succumb to the cold and blowing snows. Two meter temperatures will fall to 12 tonight in and around Mammoth. Wind chills are going to be Everest-like. This is definitely NO time for a jebwalk. Snow is expected to become not only very heavy but also of a drier character and will blow around in the admittedly insane wind gusts. Visibility will be shot completely to hell and back. Apparently storms delayed in the Sierra are not necessarily denied. This storm was a day and a half late, but it is still going to destroy Tahoe and Mammoth and many other Sierran communities. Not sure how much snow will accumulate - that is for local folks who truly understand how this stuff goes in that part of the world. As for me - if I was there I'd be a frackin statistic in no time. I would try to jebwalk then get slammed by a freak 125 mph gust and smashed against a mountainside. As for my forecast last night, I was balls wrong lmao. Some March 2001 redux lol. It took its sweet time getting to Mammoth but its here now and will blast severe winds and snow against these communities with no mercy at all. I dont know how much snow they will ultimately get. Its going to be a lot, though. I am admittedly getting my snow fix, and then some!

You might want to peruse these links.

https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/woolly-cam

Main Lodge will have lights until 3am your time! You might want to take a gander at those! Its unbelievable! Heavy snow plus crazy high winds!!

https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/main-lodge

When those winds come up, they turn the heavy snow into a kind of milkshake-like froth! This place is a snow lovers paradise but it could also be frankly dangerous.

At times, that insane wind whips the snow into a kind of solid gray WALL - You can't even see a damn thing! That place is Heaven! Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Given these unusual storm conditions, woolly cam lot will be quite the picturesque draw - even after the resort switches off the Main Lodge lights. You'll still be able to see LOTS on the woolly cam lot!

Guy with a tractor blade plowed the woolly lot but the heavy snow keeps right piling up and drifting in hurricane  force gusts lol.

That woolly cam is compulsive watching! Those high winds are really blowing that heavy snow all over at Mammoth. I wub how the 100 mph winds gray everything out! Mammoth is my favoritest place ever! This place NEVER EVER lets you down! The drifting is so unbelievably bad, it is covering up the lights in front  of the Mammoth!

Woooooooooooo----- Hoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

I really wub 100 mph heavy snow blizzards so much!!!!!!!!!

Mammoth is pure heaven right now! 22 degrees, lots of fresh heavy snow, visibilities have done gone straight out the proverbial  window, and those refreshing winds are 60 to 70 mph with exhilarating gusts to 110!!!!!!!!! This is a steady state condition at Mammoth! Fresh snow is drifting all over the woolly lot the tractor blade guy just plowed! Ain't this cool?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow another huge 110 mph gust! INSTANT GRAY OUT! CANT EVEN SEE A SINGLE THING UP IN HERE! I wub 110 mph blizzards loaded up for Bear with torrential snow SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am watching this  and BLASTING Elton John tracks!

One report from Tahoe, winds clocked at 167mph. Damn this is serious serious bisnass!

On 2/29/2024 at 11:33 PM, Wxtrix said:

@jonjon congrats on the National Geographic call out:

9 of the best places to stay in West Virginia

These Mountain State lodgings are a gateway to Civil War lore, outdoor adventure, and more.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/article/hotels-west-virginia-glamping-greenbrier

Thanks Trixie, that is the first I've seen that article!

• Like 2