• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024 mid/ long range

3 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

12z GFS at hour 190ish looks beautiful. I’ll take  that look even if it ends suppressed later in this run. 

Huge improvement. Not a hit, but I would take it this far out anyway. Way better than the cold rain look we had been seeing. The ingredients are at least there on the 12z run. 

• Like 4

Seemingly the Euro and CFS are close to being on the same page right now .CFS has been showing the velocity getting back into the IO and even Maritime into March,it just recently back down and now as we head towards the end of the first week of March its now into Africa just getting into the Western IO62853413_Tropical-Monitoring-North-Carolina-Institute-for-Climate-Studies(25).thumb.png.6afafdbc9002573ef9d57db70ba091e1.png

ECMWF-Charts (26).png

ECMWF-Charts (27).png

The Indo-Pacific is a mess. Convection that has come east from the Dateline is old news.

Thunderstorms percolating over the Maritime Subcontinent (Indonesia / Malaysia) are a warm signal (current pattern) that was supposed to move east into colder phases again. 

Ope! Got new convection blowing up in the Indian Ocean. As it marches east it gets into the warm signal Maritime Subcontinent again. MJO models are not as messy as the reality I see on satellite.

I suspect weather models will continue to struggle for North America. At least the southern storm track looks active. 

image.thumb.png.504171721f7e0eb49b7afeae7bec5995.png

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

The Indo-Pacific is a mess. Convection that has come east from the Dateline is old news.

Thunderstorms percolating over the Maritime Subcontinent (Indonesia / Malaysia) are a warm signal (current pattern) that was supposed to move east into colder phases again. 

Ope! Got new convection blowing up in the Indian Ocean. As it marches east it gets into the warm signal Maritime Subcontinent again. MJO models are not as messy as the reality I see on satellite.

I suspect weather models will continue to struggle for North America. At least the southern storm track looks active. 

image.thumb.png.504171721f7e0eb49b7afeae7bec5995.png

Hello Nrgjeff. Any chance it fires up in the phase 1 and circles through IO and then the warm phases? That would be colder for a while lol

25 minutes ago, midwoodian said:

Reading between the lines on recent posts…fair to say it’s 50/50 we get another cold shot or prolonged cold snap in the Tennessee Valley?

If we lose the EPO and it flips +, I say it’s under 50/50 though it depends on where you live. Not sure if winter can return if the MJO and EPO aren’t in our corner. We’re asking a whole lot from the Atlantic side at that point.

16 minutes ago, Matthew70 said:

I do like we have rain to help going into spring.  I am not complaining about the temps either.  Mid 50s to 60 is perfect soccer weather to sit & watch my daughter. 

I was thinking the same thing, Matthew. The consolation prize to #wintercancel (being facetious there), is the split flow pattern helping keep us wet. When the year started, I recall some having concerns we wouldn’t bust the drought heading into spring. I look forward to the next Drought Monitor on Thursday to see how far we’ve come in recent weeks.

• Like 2

With the exception of something unexpected(LR modeling missing a cold front or a bowling ball perfectly placed), I believe winter at lower elevations is probably over after the Feb 18 system(unless CPC MJO plots are erroneously skipping cold phases which they certainly could be in error doing).  Now, anything can happen during March.  But as for temps, I think winter is done after say the 25th...and honestly it was over when the cold left during mid-late January.  February should finish with much AN temps and rain.  We are going to need every drop of this come next fall as I suspect drought takes hold late next summer along w/ temps that should be in the furnace through early October.  Enjoy the cool temps and rain.

3 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Looks like it also snows/ wintery mixes in CAD regions of NC for something like 36+ hours

That solution certainly makes more sense than a rainer on the 12z GFS.  The western NC mountains should get popped w/ that set-up.  E TN remains a dark horse with that set-up. 

• Like 1

At this point, I am still not totally sure modeling is sensing the -NAO.  The LR right now has me super skittish.  That is a common error, so I feel there is still a chance that modeling could turn colder if it can fight the Pacific.  So, I do hold out a little hope that could happen.  Also, if that storm deepens around the 18th...we could also see the NA pattern shift the cold eastward.

I should note that I don't think the Pacific is going to be much help during coming winters due to the IO/MJO set-up.  I think we are going to have to rely on Atlantic blocking which is what did the trick during mid-January.  As soon as the NAO left, the cold pattern broke down within hours.

Is the SSW at fault?  We have seen that occur before, and our pattern went into the crapper within a few runs of it showing up......Asia looks cold as it should.  Asia is the primary spot SSW cold goes(then western NA, and then eastern NA last as priorities).

1 hour ago, midwoodian said:

Reading between the lines on recent posts…fair to say it’s 50/50 we get another cold shot or prolonged cold snap in the Tennessee Valley?

Between Feb 15-20th, yes...almost a certainty.  As to whether it is prolonged? I think that is reaching the "highly unlikely" range of options.  I tend to think of prolonged being 7-14 days.  I don't see that at the moment, but you never know.  Nothing is a certainty in the weather, except what is occurring right now.  I would say 70/30 that we don't see a prolonged cold snap, but we could see mini-cold snaps.  Looks like a pretty typical spring pattern setting up for March with swings to warm and cold. But again, modeling is all over the place right now....the mid-January cold shot was not seen until about 5-7 days out.  It is looking likely that the LR predictions to a return to cold are likely going to bust pretty badly....but not for certain at this point.

Just now, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I think we've been fighting that since I've been typing on this site, lol. 

Truth.  We just need the Pac to be neutral as I think we are in a -NAO cycle.  LOTS of discussion as to why the water is so warm east of Australia.  That has caused absolute chaos this winter in regards to the SOI and MJO.  I can't find a great explanation for it, but that area has a lot to say about our weather.  What we need is a true weak la Nina or a true weak el Nino.  Those weaker phases work...moderate, strong, or nada don't work.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic