Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2024 Foothills Thread

BooneWX

12 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Just about all the short range are to far north... wonder if it plays out like that...

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Just mentioned this in banter.  These short range models are not aligning with the current radar presentation.  More moisture on the south side of the system and trajectory takes this well into NC towards the triad.  Probably factoring in low DPs and drying this up quickly.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Just mentioned this in banter.  These short range models are not aligning with the current radar presentation.  More moisture on the south side of the system and trajectory takes this well into NC towards the triad.  Probably factoring in low DPs and drying this up quickly.  

I think you’re right. Downsloping from the angle of approach is also going to be a challenge but it’s one this thread knows all too well. 

4 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

East TN could get 10-12 inches of snow out of this. Just not our type of system. We need a true gulf tap and gulf low with a 50/50 low and strong HP in NE. 

Historically the 50/50 and a gulf low that actually phases and bombs out as it leaves is the most important ingredients.

IMG_0901.jpeg.242bf1ce89e8c2cbe3c8540b26df8c45.jpeg

But it really does seem lately that without the CAD high, it feels downright impossible to score a significant area wide storm.

• Like 2

Really over the last 5 to 10 years , a lot of our snows have been big gulf storms like February, 2014, January 2016, and December 2018 which were all 8-10 plus inch storms here . We really don't get those smaller 2-4 inch events anymore. I remember when I was younger we got 2 or 3 of those smaller events almost every winter. 

• Like 3

It's unbelievable

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

We went from major drought to normal in less than a month. Now all of a sudden storms want to cut west of the apps. I feel like our last chance at any hope will be after the polar vortex reloads after this weekend into the first of February. Ive seen storms in the foothills in March but its been once or twice in my 32 years on earth. The only thing we have to show for this winter so far has been the cold temps and one minor icing which was 2 weekends ago.

• Like 1

Going on 2 years here in Forest City without a flake of Snow here in a couple of days back to January 2022. I remember the first time I seen Snow falling that I could remember I was like about 3 in 85-86 and I instantly fell in love with Snow and Winter and I remember my dad saying son we live in one of the hardest places on the earth to get Snow. Everything has to be perfect around here to get Snow and it's just as true today as the day he said it almost 40 years ago. Only my second time in 41 years I have seen 2 year stretches without a flake of Snow. I don't know what else to say about it anymore more. It's like there is a wall up east of the Apps. I know the storms get broke up going over the mountains some as always to get into the foothills but this is just crazy. When we are waiting for February for Snow around here it's a pretty bad sign of the times. 

• Like 1