Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

2 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Apparently, KMRX Evening Shift buys the 12z Euro Outlook. Say's only lt wintry precip expected Monday and Tuesday. 

Based on my experience following MRX, when an event is this far out; they find the model that provides the least amount of snow and go with it in their communications with the public and that usually works out well for them, time will tell...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hillbilly said:

Based on my experience following MRX, when an event is this far out; they find the model that provides the least amount of snow and go with it in their communications with the public and that usually works out well for them, time will tell...

They've told me before that they use the NBM Output. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

18z Euro control is definitely producing more precip over east TN than the 12z control. 

little less press from the TPV in Canada. 

Zilch nada for Nashville.  It was even worse. I’m wondering if the euro is going to score a coup. It’s all by itself correct?

The 18z control was definitely a bad run for Nashville, but better for east TN folks. I would say it was on its own at 12z but if we count the Euro ensemble control as a low resolution version of the operational, that run was much better for eastern areas than 12z. 

How much QPF?

The tailend of a front drapping across the gulf with a wave or energy left behind is historically the #1 way to get a southern snowstorm. Typically happens at the beginning of an arctic outbreak or when the pattern begins to relax (more of an ice threat then), every so often both. Miller As are typically not major deals for middle/west TN. What is not typical is there is usually alot more separation between a dying frontal wave and the cyclogenisis of a follow up wave (so model error may be unusually high with this setup). West/middle TN needs to score with wave #1 fluff bomb (due to very high ratio)...ETN has to rely on wave #2...this is almost like tracking two completely different setups at the same time.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

The tailend of a front drapping across the gulf with a wave or energy left behind is historically the #1 way to get a southern snowstorm. Typically happens at the beginning of an arctic outbreak or when the pattern begins to relax (more of an ice threat then), every so often both. Miller As are typically not major deals for middle/west TN. What is not typical is there is usually alot more separation between a dying frontal wave and the cyclogenisis of a follow up wave (so model error may be unusually high with this setup). West/middle TN needs to score with wave #1 fluff bomb (due to very high ratio)...ETN has to rely on wave #2...this is almost like tracking two completely different setups at the same time.

Thanks for this. I hope there is a way we can all score here. Anyone have any recent examples of similar storms? Just want to know what "success" would look like or if it is even possible or likely. 

2 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Thanks for this. I hope there is a way we can all score here. Anyone have any recent examples of similar storms? Just want to know what "success" would look like or if it is even possible or likely. 

I was trying to think of a similar setup earlier today, and honestly I can't. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, so maybe @John1122, @Holston_River_Rambler, @Carvers Gap, or any of the other great historical posters we have here can. Kinda giving my age away a little, but first system I tracked (if you wanna call it that back then) using a hand drawn map while scribbling in the old noaa reporting stations info on a radio every hour, was the storm I won't name in 93.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

I was trying to think of a similar setup earlier today, and honestly I can't. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, so maybe @John1122, @Holston_River_Rambler, @Carvers Gap, or any of the other great historical posters we have here can. Kinda giving my age away a little, but first system I tracked (if you wanna call it that back then) using a hand drawn map while scribbling in the old noaa reporting stations info on a radio every hour, was the storm I won't name in 93.

It's a unique set up IMO

• Like 5

I was trying to think of a similar setup earlier today, and honestly I can't. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, so maybe [mention=499]John1122[/mention], [mention=16126]Holston_River_Rambler[/mention], [mention=769]Carvers Gap[/mention], or any of the other great historical posters we have here can. Kinda giving my age away a little, but first system I tracked (if you wanna call it that back then) using a hand drawn map while scribbling in the old noaa reporting stations info on a radio every hour, was the storm I won't name in 93.

Do we need a “memories” thread on here? I would love to hear people talk about personal experience with past storms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John1122 said:

The RGEM slowed down too but it's still ahead of the NAM. It was working well for the west side as the run ended. 

It at least still shows a push to the east as well, suggesting we get in on some of the initial action. Though it does look like some downsloping is evident, especially in the southern valley. 

ICON was a good run but a bad trend for now, as it stepped a little more Southeast and instead of running a low up Hatteras it went out to sea. The clown map still looked nice but I was hoping to see the SE trend back off. After years of NW trends hurting us, we may be in the year of the SE trend.  

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic