• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

The Canadian has an extreme warm nose at 800mb that causes sleet/freezing rain over the Eastern Valley areas and southern Mid-State. The model is depicting heavy sleet and the 800mb warm nose temp being about 33-34f while the surface temps below it are in the mid to upper 10s. The Eastern Valley/S-Mid-state areas get like .6 to .7 QPF of sleet which would be about 1.5-2.1 inches of sleet with around a half inch to inch of snow on top of it. 

• Like 1

Here is what makes the most sense about the Canadian....the SLP forms along the front and rides it up the coast.  The scenario where the SLP is 200mi off Charleston, SC, and the wave forms so far behind the front doesn't make as much sense.  What does make sense is for a Miller A, inland runner, or even Apps runner to get lit on the Gulf Coast and come northeast.  In that regard, the Canadian makes a lot of sense....I just think it will be closer to the coast.

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

The Canadian has an extreme warm nose at 800mb that causes sleet/freezing rain over the Eastern Valley areas and southern Mid-State. The model is depicting heavy sleet and the 800mb warm nose temp being about 33-34f while the surface temps below it are in the mid to upper 10s. The Eastern Valley/S-Mid-state areas get like .6 to .7 QPF of sleet which would be about 1.5-2.1 inches of sleet with around a half inch to inch of snow on top of it. 

Well, sledding will be fast.  LOL.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

I feel like the gfs was about the best case. Seems any more amped it'll be easy to have mixing issues. I don't see a way to get a ton more moisture out of this. 

I can find us a way.  LOL.  Run that SLP from New Orleans to Norfolk.  Word on the street is that the AI model has that track - but it is always wrong!  LOL.

2 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I can find us a way.  LOL.  Run that SLP from New Orleans to Norfolk.  Word on the street is that the AI model has that track - but it is alway wrong!  LOL.

That would do it lol.  This will be a breath of fresh air considering ground will be fully frozen at the start. We won't lose a single flake to melt assuming CMC is over doing it. Not to mention we won't break 32 for an entire 7 days. Even 2-3" of snow will stick around for days

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stovepipe said:

12z GFS would shut the state down for a few days with the modeled temps.

snku-acc-imp-us-ov.png

It would shut down this area, but also potentially many of the major cities along the East Coast.  Power grid would be stretched THIN.  Between downed lines due to ice on the SE edge and the prolonged cold from Texas to the major cities....could get rough.

7 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 12z UKMET has come well south of 0z.  Trends on operationals matter at this stage.  

Yep much improved. All I want to see is 12z euro. Great trends toward a pretty consistent storm setup.  Now that we are slowly coming inside 5 days we will have to watch for those smaller "tick" trends. 

• Like 3

I don’t see how a shallow warm layer at 800 is enough to change this to sleet. It wouldn’t take much dynamics at all to cool that layer down a degree or two and with low teens at the surface, it will also have strong forcing and terrain driven lift from beneath it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Now need to get this inside the 72-84hr window...models are known to have an almost mini truncation point during that time. If any big move is going to happen that's the window I look at.

Yeah this is always the "no man's land" of winter storms. We have a somewhat consistent storm scenario on all OPs now. But there is this 2 days of "Who knows where this goes" before we really begin to lock in. Next 2-3 days will be long ones haha

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic