Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6 - 7 Storm Potential

JoshM

11 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Yeah that is true. I am going to follow today's trends and make a call on go or no go. You really need to get to that 0.2 inch plus territory to make pics worthwhile.

As someone that grew up in the area, I second what @olafminesawsaid. I’d also recommend considering Doughton Park, the Stone Mtn area or Ennice. All do really well in these CAD escarpment events. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BooneWX said:

As someone that grew up in the area, I second what @olafminesawsaid. I’d also recommend considering Doughton Park, the Stone Mtn area or Ennice. All do really well in these CAD escarpment events. 

Yeah I don't have the time to get up all the way to Ennice. I think Fancy Gap is my best bet for now. I always am weary because these ZR events tend to end sooner than forecast a lot of times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Upstate Tiger said:

Temp falling like cheap lard in Cherryville.  Down to 36/27 at 643.  About 5 degrees colder than prog’d.   Hmmm

Clouds started rolling in , I've went from 32 up to 35 in last 2 hours

From GSP:

As of 1040 PM EST Friday: Temps were running a few degrees warmer
than forecast thanks to thick cloud cover streaming across the
forecast area. Populated in the latest OBS to get the hourly temps
back on track. Seeing some light returns tracking across NE GA, the
western SC Upstate and the southern NC mountains this evening. If
any of this activity is managing to reach the ground, it`s doing so
in the form of drizzle. Cloud cover will continue to thicken through
the next hour or so, limiting radiational cooling and leading to
lows around 3-6 degrees above climo. However, temps are still
expected to drop near or below freezing mainly north of I-85 later
tonight.

Drove from Hickory to Knoxville this morning, leaving Hickory around 10 AM. Never got below freezing in Hickory - a total nothing-burger. Was 35 when I left. Temp fell slowly as I drove west. Ice began to show in the treetops once I got west of Marion. Coldest temp observed was 33, right at the top of Old Fort Mountain. Trees were all glazed over all the way up the mountain. It was quite beautiful. By the time I got to the Swannanoa exit about 7 miles away, the temp had risen to 40 and the sun was peeking through. Just an amazing demonstration of cold-air damming in action and how different the weather conditions can be on either side of the Ridgecrest pass at the top of Old Fort Mountain. High temp on my drive was right around the NC state line where it got above 50! By the time I reached Knoxville, it was drizzly and back down to low 40s again. Weather is truly interesting as it changes due to geography, and sometimes it’s the opposite of what you would expect.

• Like 2