Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

4 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

Anyone peaking at sunday? Not a ton of cold air, but the GEFS is better than the Op GFS. 

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 12.27.55 PM.png

This would be a complete fluke storm if there ever was one.  Hostile pattern mostly, minus the western ridge in a good location.

But as you said, the cold is scoured out of NA by that +EPO.  We'd have to time this right underneath the rotation of the TPV lobe over Hudson Bay and dig a s/w deep enough to produce its own cold sector.

The ensembles look better because they have a stronger lobe that reaches a bit further south.  Makes enough changes to the eastern trough.  If the s/w comes in a bit later behind the lobe and still amplifies, it cuts west of us, and there's nothing to stop northern progression.

On 1/22/2024 at 2:03 PM, TheClimateChanger said:

Surprisingly, we still need 2.7" before the end of the month at PIT just to keep pace with last year's total there. We are currently at 11.6" for the season. Last season had 14.3" through the end of January, and that ended up being the 8th lowest on record, and least since 1990-1991. Actually looking at the list, the top 5 lowest were all from the city station. And the only two since moving out to either airport that were less were basically negligible differences, so that was about as bad as it gets climatologically. Of course, we had almost zero winter once the calendar turned to February last year. Probably won't duplicate that.

image.png.69f2c1d9f301b811157b9a6026de7b8e.png

Looked into this a bit more. Last year was only 44th lowest through the end of January in the threaded record, but ended up as 8th least on the season. The 3.3 inches from February 1st onwards tied 1884 for lowest on record (officially - of course there are some low biasing factors in the early decades of the threaded record). Doubt we will see a near total shutout after Groundhog's Day this year... odds would certainly say no, anyways.

The record for fewest days through the end of January with a low at or below freezing at Pittsburgh International is 50, in 2015-16. We’re at 41 right now, so we’ll obliterate that record.

Fewest for an entire season is 89. That would seem to be in jeopardy.

If we go by calendar years and not seasons, 2023 was the clear winner in this category and it’s not even close (86 vs. a previous low of 93).

To date, it has been the 11th warmest winter in the threaded record. 2nd warmest observed at KPIT, slightly behind 2007. Will be interesting to see where we stand with this big warmup. Obviously, some of the warmest winters at the city station (1879-80, 1889-90, 1931-32) aren't going to be eclipsed anytime soon, but we really aren't too far off from a top five position in the threaded record.

image.png.188e9772bd98c27057c3b808d49dc5c4.png

7 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

To date, it has been the 11th warmest winter in the threaded record. 2nd warmest observed at KPIT, slightly behind 2007. Will be interesting to see where we stand with this big warmup.

image.png.188e9772bd98c27057c3b808d49dc5c4.png

2007 drops down that list pretty quickly from here on out. After 1/24, there were only 6 above normal days and February was more than 10 degrees below normal, with a massive cold snap early in the month.

If winter ended today, it’d be the warmest at KPIT, breaking the record set (checks notes) last year.

Where is iOS getting its data that it has the ridiculous idea that it’s currently 45 on the way to a high of 51? The airports are currently at 56 and nearly every PWS in the county on wunderground is in the mid 50s.DC7A1905-8586-45D5-AE3E-152E80266931.jpeg.10efc27e0433c6984d81ea1caeae3d73.jpeg

Let's get back to weather we actually care about

The latest sref ticked our snow up slightly for that next system. Not expecting much but it would be nice if we could sneak an inch or two during our "bad period".

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Let's get back to weather we actually care about

The latest sref ticked our snow up slightly for that next system. Not expecting much but it would be nice if we could sneak an inch or two during our "bad period".

Keeping the center of that 850 vort south of us might be too much to ask, however a more compact center could allow a quicker change over, and less dry slotting.

• Like 1

Today’s low of 53 was tied with two other dates for 9th warmest January low at Pittsburgh International. All 11 have come since 1993. There were no days from 1952-1992 with a low of 53 or above in January.

1 hour ago, KPITSnow said:

It’s amazing how triggered some of you get at any hint of climate change talk 

I didn't even bring up climate change, to be honest. I thought it was interesting. It's not some random record for consecutive days above a random temperature... it was noting that, hey, 2/3rds of the way through met. winter and this has been the warmest of any of our lives. We have all lived through some real clunkers, I think it's noteworthy when, with one month remaining in meteorological winter, we are warmest of record at KPIT and warmest overall in the threaded record in 74 years. I think some are just frustrated. :frostymelt:

For the record, just factoring in yesterday's blowtorch, brings the two-month average up to 37.4F. I mean that's not exactly ideal for winter weather. Hell, the warmest at KPIT from 12-1 to 1-31 currently is 36.4F, set in the winter of 2001-02 so we could potentially blast by that by a full degree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I didn't even bring up climate change, to be honest. I thought it was interesting. It's not some random record for consecutive days above a random temperature... it was noting that, hey, 2/3rds of the way through met. winter and this has been the warmest of any of our lives. We have all lived through some real clunkers, I think it's noteworthy when, with one month remaining in meteorological winter, we are warmest of record at KPIT and warmest overall in the threaded record in 74 years. I think some are just frustrated. :frostymelt:

For the record, just factoring in yesterday's blowtorch, brings the two-month average up to 37.4F. I mean that's not exactly ideal for winter weather. Hell, the warmest at KPIT from 12-1 to 1-31 currently is 36.4F, set in the winter of 2001-02 so we could potentially blast by that by a full degree.

I know. The response to what is a meteorological fact, which we discuss on here, was way over the top and shows how unfortunately politicized science has become 

2 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

It’s amazing how triggered some of you get at any hint of climate change talk 

Wait - time out. Not sure who you “some of you” are. I have no issues with “climate change talk”. 

I have issues with the flat out obsession of a poster (or three) obsessing over every slice of data that might show a a degree or two warmer for *this* area. Local sensible weather (esp snowfall) has not declined here over extended periods

For 15+ years (going back to eastern), this thread has been about winter storm chasing. Sure we can acknowledge if it’s warm, etc. But some weird slice of data everyday?

I mean look at the Buffalo thread from last year. Climate Changer had 9 posts in a row about Lake Erie being a half degree warmer or some shit. Those guys went to Discord. They want to talk about chasing their 2-4’ lake band. 

So again…it’s not about the topic or the science. It’s about the place and frequency. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I know. The response to what is a meteorological fact, which we discuss on here, was way over the top and shows how unfortunately politicized science has become 

Funny how you think you understand my “politics”. Definitely a different person than your “assumptions”, and not in any way disputing the science. 

I’m just sick of a formally great thread cluttered with it when…again…local sensible weather will go through cycles. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Wait - time out. Not sure who you “some of you” are. I have no issues with “climate change talk”. 

I have issues with the flat out obsession of a poster (or three) obsessing over every slice of data that might show a a degree or two warmer for *this* area. Local sensible weather (esp snowfall) has not declined here over extended periods

For 15+ years (going back to eastern), this thread has been about winter storm chasing. Sure we can acknowledge if it’s warm, etc. But some weird slice of data everyday?

I mean look at the Buffalo thread from last year. Climate Changer had 9 posts in a row about Lake Erie being a half degree warmer or some shit. Those guys went to Discord. They want to talk about chasing their 2-4’ lake band. 

So again…it’s not about the topic or the science. It’s about the place and frequency. 

But I also think it is relevant. I don’t think you can argue that winters have been overall warmer. You also can’t argue that the lakes used to regularly shut off for LES by January as they froze but really don’t anymore. We hadn’t had a true Alberta clipper in years here.

I don’t know how all these things tie together, but they are very relevant to our local discussion