Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

Just now, Burghblizz said:

I’m not someone that rips on NWS because they aren’t giving me the “headlines” I want…

But man, this band needed something more than continuing an advisory for 1-2” additional. 

There is going to be a wide swath (or at least long swath) of areas that got an additional 4-5” in a matter of hours. 

From the obs yeah some people may wind up with an 8 inch total. 

3 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Looks like that 2.3” was at 4:00pm.  The band was mostly after that  time period though.  Might have a little more.

Airport had at least 0.03” of precipitation after that time. Could be more, as ASOS can struggle with the snow. But even that should be good for an additional half inch.

45 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

From the obs yeah some people may wind up with an 8 inch total. 

Just saw McMurray - 8.5”

Havent seem an official KPIT total. What’s funny is I think the office is slightly north of the airport. And in watching the band, it may have mostly missed them even though it was snowing at the actual airport.

50 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

I’m not someone that rips on NWS because they aren’t giving me the “headlines” I want…

But man, this band needed something more than continuing an advisory for 1-2” additional. 

There is going to be a wide swath (or at least long swath) of areas that got an additional 4-5” in a matter of hours. 

I was surprised they didn't have a special weather statement or something for it. 

Funny how the bigger snows circumvented the weenies fighting and made it to some good posters.
Maybe being positive will lead to better snows! 

Thank you. I appreciate the post.

I know not everyone got it today, but I hope we can all cash in on a good one when the pattern flips back in Feb.

For now, outside of a few snow showers tomorrow, we’ve got some rain to contend with over the next 10 days

• Like 1

8.25 is what I measured in my yard. Far southern part of Bethel Park

5” of that coming over the span of 5 hours this evening

Craziness in that band of LES

I was happy with the 3.25 that fell all day.

Congrats neighbor! Lol We usually get left out or get the WTOD around here, but really cashed in on this one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Congrats neighbor! Lol We usually get left out or get the WTOD around here, but really cashed in on this one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yes! Usually the first ones to hear the sound of sleet pelting our windows.. this time we made it.

It was awesome to get a taste of what the areas around the lakes get to experience. Crazy rates and an even crazier gradient.

• Like 1

Jealous but you guys usually get screwed since most of our misses are usually the WTOD. I usually just look on the bright side less to shovel, and I hurt my back squating so less stress on it. 

Looks like a January thaw and then we reload. Let's hope we all cash in on 8+. Could this be our year for a record breaking storm? You never know. We haven't seen anything really over 12 since 2010. 2018 I think was close and maybe that one storm in Decmeber. I want a blizzard one day. 

23 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Jealous but you guys usually get screwed since most of our misses are usually the WTOD. I usually just look on the bright side less to shovel, and I hurt my back squating so less stress on it. 

Looks like a January thaw and then we reload. Let's hope we all cash in on 8+. Could this be our year for a record breaking storm? You never know. We haven't seen anything really over 12 since 2010. 2018 I think was close and maybe that one storm in Decmeber. I want a blizzard one day. 

December 2020 was a fairly widespread average that approached a foot.

IMG_5693.png

• Like 1

Congrats guys - worked out good for me. I had a hockey game, some of those coming from the south didn’t make it hahaha!

That is unreal 8” so happy we got some decent snow before the warm up. 

looking forward to the next few batches in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TimB said:

Lol. The streak continues. No advisory level snowfalls at PIT in 678 days. 23 to go for 2nd place.

Lol. Just saw that. 
Unfortunately in this instance the official records are taken north of the airport itself. 
The terminal probably had close to 4”, based on that band yesterday evening. 

29 minutes ago, TimB said:

Lol. The streak continues. No advisory level snowfalls at PIT in 678 days. 23 to go for 2nd place.

If u move to Philly, DC or Central Park, you can see 700 day stretches before seeing even an inch.

12 miles from the airport had 10” yesterday. So let’s not carry this stat forward anymore. If the official total got it, you would have said “well that doesn’t count because I didn’t get ituhhh”

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Burghblizz said:

If u move to Philly, DC or Central Park, you can see 700 day stretches before seeing even an inch.

12 miles from the airport had 10” yesterday. So let’s not carry this stat forward anymore 

Yeah DC was more excited than a kid on Christmas with the 1 inch they got last week. They of course have the chance for a 1996 or 2010 storm but overall they struggle to get an inch. I'd venture to guess many would rather have our snow climo than their own.