Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

1 minute ago, MikeB_01 said:

lol its alright. We all go off the edge sometimes... Enjoy the snow. Remember the absence of winter  last year and try to appreciate a day like today

Indeed, one week of winter (and maybe more if we’re lucky) is better than zero.

• Like 1

Just had the dogs out and they were loving life. Snowing hard enough to give it a wintry feel atleast. Probably will end up with 3 or 4 when all is said and done. If we got the rates last week today we would be looking at 12+ and that was never the case with this storm.

You can see the center of that coastal circulation well off the North Carolina coast (and moving due East).  You can also see the flat confluence up in Quebec and how we don't have much lift across the region (low cloud tops).

20240191636_GOES16-ABI-ne-Sandwich-1200x1200.thumb.jpg.6f862a81570b63521879d262c5d0c521.jpg

What we had today was the result of separation between two pieces of NS energy.  They never got their act together as a team.  They stayed separate and we were basically stuck in an area of general "subsidence" (basically between two more organized areas of convection).

Think what happens when you're on the edge of one of those intense convective bands of snow.  If you're under the band you're getting great rates, but if you're immediately outside the band, it's mostly dry.  The air is flowing downward instead of upward.

That's what happened on a macro-level, more or less.  We experienced the weaker region of lift, but we'll still hit our snowfall targets because of the higher ratios and light winds aloft.  It's lower-end, sure, but still within the margins.

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, TimB said:

2.1” officially at PIT as of 1pm. Need a miracle to break our streak of no advisory level events.

I don’t think we’ll get there because it’s supposed to fall in a 12 hour period. Don’t think there will be any 12 hour period with 3 inches or more.

4 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I don’t think we’ll get there because it’s supposed to fall in a 12 hour period. Don’t think there will be any 12 hour period with 3 inches or more.

Well there’s that too. But our streak of no calendar days with 3” of snow would seem to be intact unless a band sets up over the airport. Well, the NWS office, but close enough.

27 minutes ago, TimB said:

2.1” officially at PIT as of 1pm. Need a miracle to break our streak of no advisory level events.

That sucks to not break the streak of 3"+ events. Still a chance at the airport, but i bet there will be some in the area that go over the 3" mark.  Will be interesting to see how the snow fell across the county

6 minutes ago, north pgh said:

It looks like those heavier snow showers are heading toward the airport. Maybe they can pick up another inch or so to get them over the 3 mark.

Yeah, I think we are still on track. Radar looks solid. It’s just been so long since we had any significant snow that they forgot how it works around here. Always premature bust calls, even in some of the bigger events.

6 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

I just ignore him. No reason to even acknowledge him since he just gets mad everytime. 

That’s because you stalk me, take side jabs at me, whine about me complaining when you whine and complain more than anyone.