• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

Looks like the weenie brigade off and running.

Overall - nice snow on snow morning. About 1.5” new. Just can’t seem to get any good rates, which was always a possibility. Picking up a bit now. 

Positive side - should have a decent duration AND the meso’s hint to some squally looking bands later. 

10 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Looks like the weenie brigade off and running.

Overall - nice snow on snow morning. About 1.5” new. Just can’t seem to get any good rates, which was always a possibility. Picking up a bit now. 

Positive side - should have a decent duration AND the meso’s hint to some squally looking bands later. 

Because it looks like another let down of event. We do those great here 

1 minute ago, TimB said:

I’d like to know the secret to viewing a 2” event positively when every single model had us getting at least 3 and the NWS pretty much guaranteed it (90% chance).

Just not caring. Honestly try it. I just find is hilarious they canceled school for an inch or two of snow. Even though it's not their fault, NWS is gonna get crushed for this one.

is it snowing where everyone is?? I have snow falling and will for several hours. WV looks good. Radar looks weak, but it was never going to look amazing.  We were expecting 3-5" over the span of 14 hours. What kind of rates did you think we were getting?

2 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

is it snowing where everyone is?? I have snow falling and will for several hours. WV looks good. Radar looks like, but it was never going to look amazing.  We were expecting 3-5" over the span of 14 hours. What kind of rates did you think we were getting?

Yeah it was a juiced up clipper. Looks like there's not enough lift for heavier rates here. The advisory is for 3-5, and we still may reach the 3. 

Shortwave trough extending from the Upper Great Lakes to the
Tennessee Valley region. Snowfall rates have been light, with
the 12Z PIT sounding showing poor lapse rates in the dendritic
region. Lowered additional snowfall amounts to account for the
lower snow/liquid equivalent ratios and less favorable ascent.
Better jet support and divergence was south of the region across
the Appalachians.

The latest RAP output shows favorable omega to maintain the snow
through the afternoon

I was a bit worried when models adjusted south yesterday with the vort pass and seemed to lose some of the moisture if we might also lose some of the dynamics needed to maximize the liquid to snow ratio. Its such a difficult thing to pin down though I didn't want to be a deb for no reason. 

4 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:
the Appalachians.

through the afternoon

I was a bit worried when models adjusted south yesterday with the vort pass and seemed to lose some of the moisture if we might also lose some of the dynamics needed to maximize the liquid to snow ratio. Its such a difficult thing to pin down though I didn't want to be a deb for no reason. 

And yet your instincts turned out to be correct, because every storm finds a way to bust around here.

3 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:
the Appalachians.

through the afternoon

Yeah one final reply for a bit but I also was concerned when the models trended south. That's why you can't just look at snowfall maps and make a forecast. Oh well even if we get 2 or 3 instead of 4-5 it's not like we are missing out on something bigger. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeB_01 said:

Ehh… maybe I’m being too positive. I don’t see anything wrong with the 3-5 forecast. Sometimes you end up on the low end.

Good point, its a range for a reason, can't just look at the high number and run with it. This always looked like a light long duration setup but with better dendrite growth, instead its those tiny flakes that don't amount to much. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Just measured 2” on what was previously bare area. Had some briefly moderate snow, but back to pixie. Still holding out for some squalls later.

43 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Regeneration showing up on radar. Models were indicating a possible second wind mid to late morning, after a brief lull.

Yeah I think once we get the wind shift NWS to the WNW we see an uptick again. Couple mesos hinted at some lake bands, and one briefly with Huron connection. If those materialize it would be high ratio fluff with a few localized "winners". 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Yeah I think once we get the wind shift NWS to the WNW we see an uptick again. Couple mesos hinted at some lake bands, and one briefly with Huron connection. If those materialize it would be high ratio fluff with a few localized "winners". 

:snowing: Putting some positive energy out there. :snowwindow:

1 hour ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I know what WNW is, but what is NWS???

20 minutes ago, TimB said:

Think I spoke too soon about this being a complete disaster. It’s probably going to be a slight letdown when all is said and done, but we’ve had much worse.

lol its alright. We all go off the edge sometimes... Enjoy the snow. Remember the absence of winter  last year and try to appreciate a day like today