Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

20 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Me and Tim talked it out.  We’ve moved on.  Time for everyone.

Glad to hear it. Lets try to keep this thread civil and mainly obs and discussion. Use PMs or the banter thread for the other stuff. Or as mentioned by others, the ignore feature. Save explitives for things like I just got a f***k ton of snow. :lol:

We are a small group so in slow times bantering in this thread isn't a big deal, but for me coming in on the eve of a storm and seeing all the bickering / fighting was really unnecessary. 

22 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Glad to hear it. Lets try to keep this thread civil and mainly obs and discussion. Use PMs or the banter thread for the other stuff. Or as mentioned by others, the ignore feature. Save explitives for things like I just got a f***k ton of snow. :lol:

We are a small group so in slow times bantering in this thread isn't a big deal, but for me coming in on the eve of a storm and seeing all the bickering / fighting was really unnecessary. 

Today’s storm wasn’t the be all, end all of storms, but it reset my patience meter and hopefully did the same for others.

And on a weather note, the 18z gfs was beautiful if maybe a little implausible. Lots of storm opportunities, yeah we get blasted with punishing waves of cold later in the run, and it honestly looks like it just spit out the coldest 7 day period on record for parts of the lower Midwest and some of the south.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TimB said:

And on a weather note, the 18z gfs was beautiful if maybe a little implausible. Lots of storm opportunities, yeah we get blasted with punishing waves of cold later in the run, and it honestly looks like it just spit out the coldest 7 day period on record for parts of the lower Midwest and some of the south.

That's quite the run.  Hopefully, some version of that comes to fruition.  That would be pretty brutal though for the midwest, and if the southeast experience what it showed, they'd be crippled.

5 minutes ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

I love to see all the love now….lethal try to support each other-I know the dissatisfaction sucks a lot but we got good people!

Honestly looking through old threads we have more posters than you would think. They only come out of the woodwork for 5+. Only us psychos post constantly.

• Like 2

Honestly looking through old threads we have more posters than you would think. They only come out of the woodwork for 5+. Only us psychos post constantly.

I used to post all the time.. I need to get into it again. Hopefully this active pattern brings me back

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PghPirates27 said:

Unofficially 2” here. I am happy and so are the kids. 2” is 8” for them. Nice to have it during the day. I’d trade that for 4” overnight and it gone by noon the next day.

It was good to see the little ones out playing in the snow this afternoon. I saw 3 snowmen built today.

• Like 1

I used to post all the time.. I need to get into it again. Hopefully this active pattern brings me back

I used to post a lot more as well. Not to keep beating a dead horse, but I've had to deal with some personal things the past few years that have taken me away from the hobby. I can say though that those personal things have made me appreciate life a lot more now, so things like missing a snowstorm just don't hurt anymore. It's no big deal to me anymore. When I pop back in here, I just want to enjoy the discussions and tracking and not make it stressful if things go against us.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

6z GFS looked great. Keeps us cold but not bitter cold from late week on and in an active storm track with lots of opportunities to score. 

Euro, not so much. After the weekend storm (which does little for us) it pumps a pretty sizable eastern ridge out ahead of that piece of polar energy. I’d think that’s a warm and wet to cold and dry scenario.

I would guess a lot of our upcoming pattern depends on where the piece of polar energy ejects, which is far from certain at this point.

31 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Which model handled this last system the best overall?

Seems the Euro was too much snow for us, and GFS was too little.  Maybe the future is somewhere in between the two.

I think the GFS did much better for our area. Can’t speak for overall, for the entire area the storm affected.

17 hours ago, TimB said:

Today’s storm wasn’t the be all, end all of storms, but it reset my patience meter and hopefully did the same for others.

I think we did pretty good for what this storm ended up being. Can't complain about steady moderate to heavy snow for an hour or two. Given its going to get washed out Tuesday it only being a couple inches makes that more palatable anyways. 

17 hours ago, TimB said:

Also I see three stars between f and k, so I’m not sure what word you were going for ;)

Lol Any feel free to choose any adjective you can make fit. :lol:

38 minutes ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

Picked up another 1.5” since about 8:30 this morning….its nice to just see the snow again finally even tho it will all be gone in another 48 hrs

Nice. Just some flurries here. Great to see the snow, even if only around for a short time.

Hopefully after this Tuesday midwest rain storm we get some clarity on next weekend. Im still concerned that tropical forcing in the bad phases of the MJO are going to lead to to much -PNA even though its counter to what youd expect in a Nino. We can benefit on the downstream effects of some ridging off the coast for a more Western track, but might be to much of that. 

• Like 2

Looks like a warm & wet to cold & dry pattern for a little while. Doubt we will see much snow for the next week.

Even with the recent snowfall, still the 14th lowest seasonal amount (out of 144 years) through January 8. Only 2007, 2016, 1995 & 1966 had less since observations have been taken at KPIT, with one other year (1941) at KAGC. I guess coming off the 8th least seasonal tally last winter, that can be seen as a small improvement.

image.png.70467c2ac606014a03a4de2413e5674b.png

Looking at current averages, we need nearly one-half inch per day just to keep pace with normals at this time of the year. Not sure we do that. If there's one good thing, it looks like the East Coast folks will be even worse off.  But the Chicago area looks favored for some heavy snows.