Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

3 hours ago, TimB said:

@TheClimateChangerI’d assume we have warmest year at KPIT in the bag?

Looks like it. This is averaged by month. Given today's observed weather and the forecast for the remainder of the week, I can't see the December monthly mean falling enough to change the annual mean.

PIT Airport

image.png.800f78872d00c4b6f36a7e5b1b524ca8.png

Pittsburgh threaded record

image.png.509a12c95884063845996f4d1d9ae724.png

3 hours ago, PghPirates27 said:

Looks like long range forecast - at least on weather channel app has gone up 3-4 degrees each day since last week. Now mid to high 30's every day after new years. Trending the wrong way.

Pattern changes are chaotic, less certainty on guidance, but also usually rushed. No guarantees of course, but I'm still optimistic we will have better luck in early Jan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like possibly our first GEFS ensemble runs of the season with mean total snowfall over 6” finally showed up last night. 0z total might be a little high because it had several members pushing an advisory level snowfall Friday night into Saturday which seems ambitious, but things may finally be pointing in the right direction?

12 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Looks like it. This is averaged by month. Given today's observed weather and the forecast for the remainder of the week, I can't see the December monthly mean falling enough to change the annual mean.

PIT Airport

image.png.800f78872d00c4b6f36a7e5b1b524ca8.png

Pittsburgh threaded record

image.png.509a12c95884063845996f4d1d9ae724.png

Is there any way to tell if the mean is higher because of mostly higher highs or higher lows. It feels to me like even though this could be the warmest year, it is mainly driven by the lows not being as cold. just seems like most of the variances are related to warmer temperatures in the historically colder months and less by extreme high temperatures in the summer. 

Curious if that data exists.

14 minutes ago, PghPirates27 said:

Is there any way to tell if the mean is higher because of mostly higher highs or higher lows. It feels to me like even though this could be the warmest year, it is mainly driven by the lows not being as cold. just seems like most of the variances are related to warmer temperatures in the historically colder months and less by extreme high temperatures in the summer. 

Curious if that data exists.

Of course it exists. The 3 years we’re competing with for warmest year at PIT airport (1991, 2012 and 2016) had warmer average max temps than this year:

8230FB31-B27A-4D94-84DF-DE7D0296DA9B.jpeg.7971424885c07f771c21075893c45852.jpeg

So naturally this year has had the warmest lows at PIT:

56E72856-D1EE-49EB-93F2-3055966F98A1.jpeg.193ee7c063b919acd01299437296daa7.jpeg

(Yes, I know 1949 isn’t actually PIT airport but I forgot to filter out 1948-1952).

Look at this cope. 804-hour ensemble mean and control run. I'm old enough to remember when every 384 hour run in the wintertime had more snow than this. For Pittsburgh (and much of the region, for that matter), the ensemble mean looks below average to me. A foot over 35 days in the heart of winter? The control run looks about average, maybe a bit above (16-18 inches around Pittsburgh). Sure this would be a godsend compared to the last couple of years, but it certainly isn't anything unusual outside of the NYC to New England region [which probably won't happen because this is an 804 hour model run].

I love how he focuses on the control run showing 30 inches in NYC - how about it showing an inch in Minneapolis, and only a foot in the UP of Michigan? More snow in west Texas than Marquette?

27 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Look at this cope. 804-hour ensemble mean and control run. I'm old enough to remember when every 384 hour run in the wintertime had more snow than this. For Pittsburgh (and much of the region, for that matter), the ensemble mean looks below average to me. A foot over 35 days in the heart of winter? The control run looks about average, maybe a bit above (16-18 inches around Pittsburgh). Sure this would be a godsend compared to the last couple of years, but it certainly isn't anything unusual outside of the NYC to New England region [which probably won't happen because this is an 804 hour model run].

I love how he focuses on the control run showing 30 inches in NYC - how about it showing an inch in Minneapolis, and only a foot in the UP of Michigan? More snow in west Texas than Marquette?

Those ENS snow maps at that range are pretty useless imho. Swing pretty wildly, prone to being weighted towards a few really bad or really big hits etc. Years past these maps did show more, but it's not like they ever verified then either. They did correct some bad bias'es that made them lean more snowy, so that's at least part of it.  Only thing you can really glean is that at least as of that run, the pattern *may* be conducive for above average snow for the month of January.

If its bad I wouldn't lose sleep over it, and if it looked great I wouldn't be teeing up the "It's Happening" Gif either...

1 minute ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Those ENS snow maps at that range are pretty useless imho. Swing pretty wildly, prone to being weighted towards a few really bad or really big hits etc. Years past these maps did show more, but it's not like they ever verified then either. They did correct some bad bias'es that made them lean more snowy, so that's at least part of it.  Only thing you can really glean is that at least as of that run, the pattern *may* be conducive for above average snow for the month of January.

If its bad I wouldn't lose sleep over it, and if it looked great I wouldn't be teeing up the "It's Happening" Gif either...

I recognize that 6-7” of snow over the next 16 days would be basically within the margin of error for “normal” but that’s what the GEFS mean is sitting at right now, which isn’t horrific.

18 minutes ago, Gordo74 said:

Didn't see this depressing stat posted here:

I get that the negativity can be... over the top here sometimes. But when it's been a year+ and the 2nd worst year in weather history for the area..... MAYBE it's sometimes warranted.

2023 is about to be over ( thankfully). So let's look forward to a better year coming. 

3 hours ago, Ahoff said:

There are opportunities.  The 7th looks particularly interesting at this point.  We’ll see if anything hits.

I agree, the pattern is changing, but that doesn't guarantee a storm, but we should at least have some chances.That 6th-7th storm bares watching for sure. Also maybe a lighter event prior if we can get cold enough.

1 hour ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I agree, the pattern is changing, but that doesn't guarantee a storm, but we should at least have some chances.That 6th-7th storm bares watching for sure. Also maybe a lighter event prior if we can get cold enough.

At this point a couple inches is all I'd be rooting for.  We'll see for sure, but things are picking up a bit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

Enjoy it now because it's gonna change 50 times before then. Signal is there for a snow storm. Game on.

ERMq3ZZ.png

joVsOfg.png

Man, the GFS has come to life. Hope it’s onto something.

Euro doesn’t have the storm in the right place for us but way too early to sort out those details.

4 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

Enjoy it now because it's gonna change 50 times before then. Signal is there for a snow storm. Game on.

Indeed, still far enough out it could change pretty drastically, some of the individual ensembles barely had a storm or were pretty far east. The Thursday storm needs to get resolved before Id get excited. Just nice to have a legit potential storm, something to give a distraction from post holiday return to work depression lol

Im really looking forward to the next time we get something to track and it keeps looking better and better as we close in.