Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Windows open here tonight and shorts day tomorrow. I want more cold but going to enjoy the heat.

Today was spectacular. I'm a cold guy but could get used to more of this. Trail had spring weekend type traffic on it. I'll be happy with whatever going forward. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Today was spectacular. I'm a cold guy but could get used to more of this. Trail had spring weekend type traffic on it. I'll be happy with whatever going forward. 

Not to say that I don't want snow...I really do. But it doesn't define me or bring mood swings any more. I'll get excited and enjoy it if and when snow flies. I still love the thrill of anticipation leading up to a big one.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

it does but better than the OTS 1000 plus low of a day or so ago.  I still think temps are an issue but lots of snowy solutions showing up....better north of us of course.

It’s definitely been worse, Synoptics aren’t that far off. Better than those darn weak sheared solutions since it isn’t THAT far north

0z GFS coming in similar to 18z (and 12z). It may have shifted its 6” line like 10-20miles north in the Sus Valley from 18z, essentially back about to where it was at 12z. Focus on I-80 corridor on north for the axis of heaviest snows has been persistent with that op

0z Canadian looks nice with snow shield placement on the southern 2/3 of PA. Still on the lower side QPF wise and a bit splotchy with its output on accums but it has come a pretty long way from where it was having a very weak system. 

I started this post to comment on the NAM, but ended up commenting on the rest of early 0z guidance in the process. At any rate, NAM at range disclaimers aside… I have noted in the runs today that it seems to be on the colder side of guidance overall. Probably the coldest to be honest. I generally put heavier focus on the high res stuff for thermals (3k NAM, HRRR, etc) when things get in range to start using them. We start setting the boundary during Sunday, basically in the 48-60hr range at this point. So this is going to be really something to watch as we set this event up. The entire NAM column in PA is colder, but where it is especially so is up on the column at the 850 and 925mb level. 850 mb temp difference between NAM vs GFS is huge.

81 hours, where the event is pretty well underway in C-PA (GFS timing a bit faster)

image.thumb.png.d55e1fedd31dd6b760fb74af790d4e14.png

Now look at the 850 temps for that frame.

image.thumb.png.969051003b081f138fa5631bd1dbdbac.png

Is the NAM onto something here? I’ll be curious to see if it holds onto anywhere near that cold of a profile as we get closer into range. Just a few degrees is going to make a big difference in this event, especially in the Sus Valley. Even a compromise of the thermal profiles between these two solutions likely get the subforum a decent event… and the GFS solution is still mostly a C-PA snow event anyways with the question mark of changeover delivering decent snows being the southern tier (turnpike corridor and south). The NAM at face value actually implies something that could be a notably >10:1 ratio event with the -8ºC 850mb isotherm deep into central/southern PA. I still feel in PA the heavy swath is a 6-10” type deal, but a NAM solution would be how double digit totals get introduced.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

0z GFS coming in similar to 18z (and 12z). It may have shifted its 6” line like 10-20miles north in the Sus Valley from 18z, essentially back about to where it was at 12z. Focus on I-80 corridor on north for the axis of heaviest snows has been persistent with that op

0z Canadian looks nice with snow shield placement on the southern 2/3 of PA. Still on the lower side QPF wise and a bit splotchy with its output on accums but it has come a pretty long way from where it was having a very weak system. 

I started this post to comment on the NAM, but ended up commenting on the rest of early 0z guidance in the process. At any rate, NAM at range disclaimers aside… I have noted in the runs today that it seems to be on the colder side of guidance overall. Probably the coldest to be honest. I generally put heavier focus on the high res stuff for thermals (3k NAM, HRRR, etc) when things get in range to start using them. We start setting the boundary during Sunday, basically in the 48-60hr range at this point. So this is going to be really something to watch as we set this event up. The entire NAM column in PA is colder, but where it is especially so is up on the column at the 850 and 925mb level. 850 mb temp difference between NAM vs GFS is huge.

81 hours, where the event is pretty well underway in C-PA (GFS timing a bit faster)

image.thumb.png.d55e1fedd31dd6b760fb74af790d4e14.png

Now look at the 850 temps for that frame.

image.thumb.png.969051003b081f138fa5631bd1dbdbac.png

Is the NAM onto something here? I’ll be curious to see if it holds onto anywhere near that cold of a profile as we get closer into range. Just a few degrees is going to make a big difference in this event, especially in the Sus Valley. Even a compromise of the thermal profiles between these two solutions likely get the subforum a decent event… and the GFS solution is still mostly a C-PA snow event anyways with the question mark of changeover delivering decent snows being the southern tier (turnpike corridor and south). The NAM at face value actually implies something that could be a notably >10:1 ratio event with the -8ºC 850mb isotherm deep into central/southern PA. I still feel in PA the heavy swath is a 6-10” type deal, but a NAM solution would be how double digit totals get introduced.

Asking for pawatch and I lol are we too far north or could we get okay totals?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Me too! I am in Williamsport and very curious as well. Looks like we could get something worthwhile out of this. I wasn't expecting that. Earlier today wunderground had just 1.4.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Nah you guys are looking pretty good right now, and I don’t anticipate p-type issues up that far. All guidance/ensembles not named the ICON (furthest north outlier by far currently) has Williamsport near or within the swath of best snows. Euro and GFS ops have had IPT getting 6”+ and GFS has been putting out double digits there the last several runs. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Nah you guys are looking pretty good right now, and I don’t anticipate p-type issues up that far. All guidance/ensembles not named the ICON (furthest north outlier by far currently) has Williamsport near or within the swath of best snows. Euro and GFS ops have had IPT getting 6”+ and GFS has been putting out double digits there the last several runs. 

Thanks man.

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

0z EPS & GEFS look very similar.

The EPS is ramping up snow amounts & now gets the 5 inch line to Harrisburg & to the north.

IMG_5046.png

IMG_5047.png

Both ensemble means are higher than ops for me. But I haven't done well when that has happened this year. Too muiuch smoothing on the means.

6z Gfs gives me nothing. Euro and Gfs beyond next week show rain, if anything, in much of the subforum and despite supposedly great ensembles. And people wondered why I questioned that ridge extending south from the Nao block. It's not over, I know, but it's never as simple as so many in the MA thought. The ensembles just don't have the detail for the discreet issues. And when there looks to be an issue on them, or something does show up on them no matter how seemingly unimportant, assume it's a problem. Mby is supposed to be a better place for snow than my old diggs north of BWI, but it feels no different to me these past 5 winters.

5 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

5 hours ago, CoralRed said:

Me too! I am in Williamsport and very curious as well. Looks like we could get something worthwhile out of this. I wasn't expecting that. Earlier today wunderground had just 1.4.

You guys have great patience on this forum listening to all the LSV talk (including from me).  Props to you. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

6z Gfs gives me nothing. Euro and Gfs beyond next week show rain, if anything, in much of the subforum and despite supposedly great ensembles. And people wondered why I questioned that ridge extending south from the Nao block. It's not over, I know, but it's never as simple as so many in the MA thought. The ensembles just don't have the detail for the discreet issues. And when there looks to be an issue on them, or something does show up on them no matter how seemingly unimportant, assume it's a problem. Mby is supposed to be a better place for snow than my old diggs north of BWI, but it feels no different to me these past 5 winters.

But Joe Bastardi!