Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It would have been a good one but plus 300 so not many details. 

Heck, we have a chance in 6 days, so that’s my focus for now.

The long range does look promising as well once we get towards the end of the first week of February & beyond according to the advertised pattern on the Weeklies.

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

HH is definitely a step back as to cold the first week of Feb.   Not alarming but slows the roll a bit of the "winter is coming back with a vengeance" of the 12Z. 

Actually, it is a step back initially, but the cold air is deeper and more widespread as we get into later panels.   

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Actually, it is a step back initially, but the cold air is deeper and more widespread as we get into later panels.   

Has the ridging in Canada and troughing along the south similar to weeklies. It's bringing it forward, if true.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Has the ridging in Canada and troughing along the south similar to weeklies. It's bringing it forward, if true.

It’s remarkable that the last few runs of the GFS have basically said “what warmup?” to end the month & through the first week of February.

8 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

It’s remarkable that the last few runs of the GFS have basically said “what warmup?” to end the month & through the first week of February.

This 18z GFS run has another Winter Storm chance on February 3rd.

This run ends cold for a good amount of the country & there is energy showing in the southwest.

IMG_4650.png

IMG_4651.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

This 18z GFS run has another Winter Storm chance on February 3rd.

This run ends cold for a good amount of the country & there is energy showing in the southwest.

IMG_4650.png

IMG_4651.png

I’m not even trolling here, but the warm signal on the ensembles for this time period (at least Feb 1-5) is off the charts. I would not hold out much hope for anything that weekend. 

5 minutes ago, TimB said:

I’m not even trolling here, but the warm signal on the ensembles for this time period (at least Feb 1-5) is off the charts. I would not hold out much hope for anything that weekend. 

I’m just showing what this run showed. Let’s see what happens 

The better looks should begin between the 5th & 10th, then roll through February.

9 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

18z EPS says to still watch the Sunday chance in CTP.

IMG_4652.png

IMG_4653.png

Yeah, that 12z run was over amped liked I thought. Nothing else had the slp going to our west. Still time to pull this one out of the jaws of defeat.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Yeah, that 12z run was over amped liked I thought. Nothing else had the slp going to our west. Still time to pull this one out of the jaws of defeat.

If the low tracks under us, I think we have the chance to get at least a rain to snow scenario. It may not be a clean snow storm, but we may be able to put a little snow on the board, but northern & western areas of our thread would be favored.

37 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Hit 70 in Philly tonight. 

31 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Lol, historic night for Embiid!

Admittedly, I have been a big critic of #21 for years. 

Look, he is putting together an incredible season. One of the best I've witnessed since starting following the NBA regularly in 1976. He is doing it all.

But...he needs to show up in the postseason. 2 points in the 2nd half of an elimination game is not acceptable. He doesn't need to score 70 but he has to produce SOMETHING, otherwise the murmurs will only get louder.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The GFS capitulating to making the 28th low an inland runner and not sending it up to be a new 50/50 is not helpful for early Feb cold.   The 0Z was truly ugly and more matches the painful look on the Ensemble anomalies. 

12Z yesterday

image.thumb.png.a562bc8e1782d9dc8b78d6fdfcd0bd12.png

6Z Today

image.thumb.png.63cd23bae76fd41c8319612005eaec62.png

The good news, the only good news in fact, is that both the Gefs and Geps weakened the ridge in Canada and were in the process of placing a trough across the south similar to weeklies.

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_65 (2).png

gem-ens_z500a_nhem_64.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Unfortunately, the Euro & GFS are now taking the Sunday low up well to our west, but the Canadian still has hope for snow for northern PA on this 0z run.

IMG_4656.png

IMG_4657.png

IMG_4658.png

I was surprised to see that this morning with the Euro after all ensemble members on the 18z had the slp to our south similar to runs prior to 12z. But, that's what models do.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

The good news, the only good news in fact, is that both the Gefs and Geps weakened the ridge in Canada and were in the process of placing a trough across the south similar to weeklies.

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_65 (2).png

gem-ens_z500a_nhem_64.png

I was never that hopeful for the 28th but the length of the next cold spell starting this weekend really depends on a mechanism to tap the "PV" to our North East.   We are back in trouble again after whatever period the cold lasts.

8 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I was surprised to see that this morning with the Euro after all ensemble members on the 18z had the slp to our south similar to runs prior to 12z. But, that's what models do.

Yes, a few runs of the GFS & Euro the last few days pulled off a good track, with just cold enough to make it interesting around here, but not a good trend overnight. If they don’t trend back later today, this event will probably not have a chance for us.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was never that hopeful for the 28th but the length of the next cold spell starting this weekend really depends on a mechanism to tap the "PV" to our North East.   We are back in trouble again after whatever period the cold lasts.

Sums up this "winter." Lol

Today should be our mildest day in the last 10 days with temps well into the 30's to near 40 for most spots. Some rain chances late tonight into tomorrow with a slight chance some of that could freeze on some surfaces. A steadier rain from Wednesday night into Friday morning with high temps well into the 50's on Friday. More rain arrives by Saturday night into Sunday.
Records for today: High 69 (1906) / Low 5 below (1936) / Precipitation 2.20" (2016) / Snow 22.0" (2016) this was the 2nd day of our 7th largest snowstorm (26.0") in Chester County history 8 years ago today.
image.png.e3b577f366e7a7333e1f14214c5907dc.png

6 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Sums up this "winter." Lol

Many of the last few winters.  Ha. If we miss all our chances after this weekend and do have a warm first week of Feb, I remain hopeful after that. I personally  cannot take models, even if just patterns, too seriously out past 10 days.   Any 300 hour GFS postings from me are for entertainment.