• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

They might beat that record this Saturday. 
Just think of the horrible ice storm we would be having if we had true artic air anchored here with a massive high in the right place. Heavy rain and 13 degrees

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Just think of the horrible ice storm we would be having if we had true artic air anchored here with a massive high in the right place. Heavy rain and 13 degrees

The 3 most popular.  Will have to wait to Blizz gets home and he can chip in some squall lines in the 50's maps as well. 

image.thumb.png.66bf554ea6be0a9bb6cc25a06716de3c.png

image.thumb.png.31d03aae5e8482a1dafc6f0165c2e2ef.png

image.png.ec54127d800b13476385eb2a9ff44efb.png

8 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

One thing I'm keeping an eye on that looks to be almost a given at this point is the lake effect machine really getting ramped up in the wake of Friday's system.  Could make for a very interesting game between the Bills and Steelers Sunday afternoon.

Both todays and this weekends event have some fetch that'll likely freshen whatever is left of the snowpack for norther wester LES folks.  Looks like a 24 to 36 hr window tomorrow into thursday and then sundayish.  

namconus_ref_frzn_eus_22.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

One thing I'm keeping an eye on that looks to be almost a given at this point is the lake effect machine really getting ramped up in the wake of Friday's system.  Could make for a very interesting game between the Bills and Steelers Sunday afternoon.

Going to slow down Josh Allen and swing the tide in our favor.

And no, I don't really believe that...but I believe it a little more than snow maps. :)  

• Haha 1

There’s been very little wind here all day. The snowpack has helped with keeping a stable cool surface layer.  Peak wind gust on my station was 24.4mph which happened pre-dawn before the precip arrived. Only some mid-teens gusts occasionally this afternoon. 

Precip onset and changeover points are easily noticeable on the weather station obs with the wind direction changes and the temp/dew. Not to mention you can see the first half of last night where there was rad cooling and the temps spiked above freezing when the wind kicked up out of the south.

image.thumb.png.0a8f4cf0b8d587552a55e4774970fa19.png

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

When do we get Lancaster radar. It would be invaluable today for low level wind

I was down at my alma-mater at the Millersville Meteo Dept about 6 weeks ago seeing some old friends and faces at the weather center and asked about the new radar etc.  Long story short, its not even operational yet as some parts were missing/broken and have not been replaced/repaired yet to be even functional.  Once it is, the radar will not be available for public viewing/use unless the NWS or other media outlets buy the license rights to broadcast it and use it.  Its a private company so everyone who “wants to use it” needs to pay for the access.  

I would imagine the NWS would want it as they are the only entity who can issues warnings, etc.  Hopefully we all will get the ability to see it once its up and running and a deal is worked out.  Millersville University is only a location for the radar and for research and not the ones who give the rights/licenses out.  Although Millersville did spend a ton of money via a grant to get the radar there and access to it for research.  But again, its been 5 months installed now and not functional.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

If the 5 min views are to be believe, the highest gust at MDT today is only 32.  38 at LNS.  Still 54 here with over 10 50+ gusts now affirmed by another rig in the neighborhood. 

Mine was 47 early this am but nothing over 30 since. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

18Z GFS, MLK storm still does not time things right as it rounds the base of the trough....another late boomer on the 19th then the pattern relaxes with several nicely tracked storms that rain.

18z isn't that far out. Only to 186 or so

17 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

If the 5 min views are to be believe, the highest gust at MDT today is only 32.  38 at LNS.  Still 54 here with over 10 50+ gusts now affirmed by another rig in the neighborhood. 

You might be getting some local downsloping off whichever ridge is just east of Rouzerville (not familiar with the names down there). Velocities in that orange are 80+ mph and beam height around where you’re at is at about 4k feet (about the 900mb level). Which by the way, using LWX here but I haven’t seen that kind of velocity presentation on CCX radar since Sandy. 

image.thumb.png.2c4d4363d54aada0b6655319d4ff50b0.png

5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

You might be getting some local downsloping off whichever ridge is just east of Rouzerville (not familiar with the names down there). Velocities in that orange are 80+ mph and beam height around where you’re at is at about 4k feet (about the 900mb level). Which by the way, using LWX here but I haven’t seen that kind of velocity presentation on CCX radar since Sandy. 

image.thumb.png.2c4d4363d54aada0b6655319d4ff50b0.png

Whenever we have strong easterly or westerly winds, it is ridiculous here.   The entire neighborhood is in the habit of putting stuff away similar to what a Florida community would do for an incoming hurricane.   I am @ about 820 feet on the way up the side of the climb to a ridge/ Quirauk Mountain's 2145 feet summit. 

34 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

18z isn't that far out. Only to 186 or so

Well, something is amiss with this access I was given.  It is mixing 12 and 18Z data because on pivotal the storm at 306 is not there on the 18Z 306.  I was told I had a 30 min preview on the data but I think someone has some 0's and 1's mixed up.     The MLK and 19/20th chances match though.