Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

That reminds me of that old Saturday Night live skit where they were shooting the skiers as they came down the slop because Claudine Longet had accidentally shot and killed her boyfriend, ski champion Vladimir "Spider" Sabich.

If only we had the skiers part, count me in on the entertainment (maybe paintballs?), liberty is the only one of the 3 local spots not to be back open today :( we drove over to the base to see the situation, they’re getting close and have their big pile from the guns at the bottom, but looks like many of the trails are pretty bare.

just from what I hear here, the snow crews at Whitetail and roundtop are better at readying the ship

1 minute ago, philliesmd said:

Snowing pretty good now eyeballing maybe an inch on the deck rail.

I was driving near the TSC, slightly East of town, about an hour ago and there was almost no snow anywhere.  They got off to a very late start there.   997 was totally wet and it was a surprise as I came back from Chambersburg on 316 and that was a winter wonderland until I got to town. 

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was driving near the TSC, slightly East of town, about an hour ago and there was almost no snow anywhere.  They got off to a very late start there.   997 was totally wet and it was a surprise as I came back from Chambersburg on 316 and that was a winter wonderland until I got to town. 

We’re getting hammered now, rates are solid, and vis is down to 1/4mi I’d say. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, philliesmd said:

I'm up behind the hospital and the ground whitened up almost as soon as it started which was around 9:30

It was raining from Pauls Market (which is closed as I wanted to stop there) the whole way to Sheetz in Rouzerville.  If you are behind the hospital, you have some elevation then. 

Meso disco issued 

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mobile/#md_page

Mesoscale Discussion 0006
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
1047 AM CST Sat Jan 06 2024

Areas affected...Central/Southern PA...Eastern WV
Panhandle...Western/Central MD...Far Northern VA

Concerning...Heavy snow 

Valid 061647Z - 062145Z

SUMMARY...Snowfall rates are expected to increase across the region over the next several hours. Rates around 1"/hr are likely across much of the area, with localized 2"/hr rate possible, particularly across south-central PA. 

DISCUSSION...Recent satellite imagery shows a low-amplitude shortwave trough over eastern TN, moving quickly northeastward. Regional radar imagery shows a large area of precipitation across the Mid-Atlantic and into southern portions of the Northeast, within the warm conveyor preceding this shortwave. Attendant low-level flow is forecast to strengthen over the next several hours as the shortwave continues northeastward. Additionally, the attendant surface low, which is currently over south-central NC, is expected to deepen over the next few hours as it moves northeastward across central NC and southeast VA. 

These factors will result in an area of strong low-level frontogenesis over VA, with associated lift focused into central/southern PA, the eastern WV Panhandle, western/central MD, and far northern VA. Most of this area is currently experiencing moderate snow, but snowfall rates are expected to increase over the next few hours as the evolution described above occurs. Rates around 1"/hr are likely across much of the area, with some areas experiencing 2"/hr, particularly south-central PA where banding appears most likely. Highest rates are expected to be centered around 20Z, with rates then likely diminishing over this area as the shortwave continues northeastward. 

..Mosier.. 01/06/2024

...Please see www.spc.noaa.gov for graphic product... 

ATTN...WFO...PHI...CTP...LWX...PBZ...RLX... 

• Like 1

image.png.73b867caa81705ae87bcb4d7a0a6e8ab.png

Areas affected...Central/Southern PA...Eastern WV Panhandle...Western/Central MD...Far Northern VA

Concerning...Heavy snow Valid 061647Z - 062145Z SUMMARY...Snowfall rates are expected to increase across the region over the next several hours. Rates around 1"/hr are likely across much of the area, with localized 2"/hr rate possible, particularly across south-central PA.

DISCUSSION...Recent satellite imagery shows a low-amplitude shortwave trough over eastern TN, moving quickly northeastward. Regional radar imagery shows a large area of precipitation across the Mid-Atlantic and into southern portions of the Northeast, within the warm conveyor preceding this shortwave. Attendant low-level flow is forecast to strengthen over the next several hours as the shortwave continues northeastward. Additionally, the attendant surface low, which is currently over south-central NC, is expected to deepen over the next few hours as it moves northeastward across central NC and southeast VA. These factors will result in an area of strong low-level frontogenesis over VA, with associated lift focused into central/southern PA, the eastern WV Panhandle, western/central MD, and far northern VA. Most of this area is currently experiencing moderate snow, but snowfall rates are expected to increase over the next few hours as the evolution described above occurs. Rates around 1"/hr are likely across much of the area, with some areas experiencing 2"/hr, particularly south-central PA where banding appears most likely. Highest rates are expected to be centered around 20Z, with rates then likely diminishing over this area as the shortwave continues northeastward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1