Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

3 hours ago, ncjoaquin said:

0z Euro shows some potential, just a week out as noted by GSP. It will probably change, but it shows the potential is there.

A more southerly
track like the new 06/00z EC suggests heavy rain Monday,
transitioning to wintry precip on the back side Monday night. The
GDPS is similar in track to the EC but not as cold. The GFS timing
would delay peak impacts to Tuesday, but hints at a more marginal
HSLC event.

12z GFS showing a possibility in the same time frame, especially on the border. 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

• Like 2

Looks like the string of gorgeous weather is coming to an end. Clouds have rolled in and rainy and potentially stormy weekend into early next week is ahead. I see that there is a NWFS possibility early next week as well. I am definitely seeing signs of a significant pattern change coming next week. Hopefully the ski areas survive the upcoming heavy rainfall. I know Cataloochee has taken advantage of the nightly below freezing temperatures the past 7 days a made a lot of snow.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I'm cautiously optimistic we will score in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Obviously mountains have the best shot but north of 40 folks in the foothills could do well too 

Yeah I think that's about all we can be. Just getting a new pattern set will help. I'm watching the jet screaming across the SW which is interesting. 

• Like 3

Oh well. It's not over yet, but the models are definitely not trending in our favor. It looks like another almost zero winter for Asheville. I am sure higher elevations will get some more. Oh well, it is what it is.

I am very happy for the rain. I have a well. I'll take rain over drought. Spring and Summer are coming. Nothing wrong with fishing and beach trips. Maybe I will be surprised, but if not, we will try it again next Winter and hope for a better result.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ncjoaquin said:

Oh well. It's not over yet, but the models are definitely not trending in our favor. It looks like another almost zero winter for Asheville. I am sure higher elevations will get some more. Oh well, it is what it is.

I am very happy for the rain. I have a well. I'll take rain over drought. Spring and Summer are coming. Nothing wrong with fishing and beach trips. Maybe I will be surprised, but if not, we will try it again next Winter and hope for a better result.

Looks like you are at the acceptance stage. I'm about there too. Truth is unless you are above 3k and close to the TN border you just aren't going to see much snow going forward. 

• Like 1

Well, the predicted heavy rainfall has failed to materialize so far and the NWFS is looking light, but freezing temperatures look to return which will help in snow making this week. I like our chances for the possibility of overrunning ahead of the Saturday storm with a bit more robust NWFS to follow. Temperatures this weekend look cold with highs struggling to reach 30 and night lows in the low 20’s. Looking like a good Presidents Day Weekend for skiers! Enough of the doom and gloom. Time for some positives for the Mountains!

• Like 2

Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...

Northern Madison County in western North Carolina...

Mitchell County in western North Carolina...

Northern Yancey County in western North Carolina...

* Until 1045 PM EST.

* At 940 PM EST, severe thunderstorms were located along a line

extending from 16 miles southwest of Kingsport to 9 miles southeast

of Greeneville to 12 miles west of Marshall, moving east at 45 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Expect damage to trees and power lines.

* Locations impacted include...

Burnsville, Hot Springs, Bakersville, Buladean, Bandana,

Ramseytown, Green Mountain, Swiss, Faust, and Allenstand.

• Like 1