• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Autumn 2023

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

How many sq feet of roof do you have?  2400 sq feet is a lot.  Our house is very long and is a Hip roof.    It is often not related to your house size (at least not directly).        But shingle prices are up.  

I have not asked them for a weather forecast yet. 

Yeah, that is a lot - mine is between 1700-1800 square feet. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

I priced out shingles with Home depot types and it was 7-8k just for the shingles.    That better be 20ABV beer then.  

everyone jokes that my family is like the Amish except we drink. We have built 6 new houses, 4 major additions and countless roofs in our family in the last 25 years. Not so much anymore. the house i built in 1996,  a 28x52 raised ranch, started first week of September and moved in week of Christmas. Only thing not done was the Mountain Stone outside.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

everyone jokes that my family is like the Amish except we drink. We have built 6 new houses, 4 major additions and countless roofs in our family in the last 25 years. Not so much anymore. the house i built in 1996,  a 28x52 raised ranch, started first week of September and moved in week of Christmas. Only thing not done was the Mountain Stone outside.  

That is the issue with people like me, if we lose power and go back to olden times, I am in trouble.  No one will want my skill set anymore :-).   You have the real skills. 

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That is the issue with people like me, if we lose power and go back to olden times, I am in trouble.  No one will want my skill set anymore :-).   You have the real skills. 

we are fortunate to have a lot of skilled guys in my family. 

And beer is cheap labor :drunk:

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, it is beyond ridiculous.   15K for 2400 SQ feet of shingles/roof.  The kicker is that it does nothing for the value of your house.  It is 15K that is gone basically.   I would never get a metal roof because it also does little to nothing for the value of your house so IMO its only real value is longevity so instead of 25 years you get 50 years.  But it costs more than twice as much.  Would have been 60K instead of 15K. 

I was trying to think of something positive to say but all I  can come with is Ughhhh...

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

I can barely hang a picture on a wall with a nail already installed. 

Another beautiful autumnal day underway here across the County! Our low this morning of 50.5 here in East Nantmeal was our chilliest reading since the 47.2 degree reading back on June 8th. Some of the higher spots of Chesco may fail to escape the 60's for high temps this afternoon. Some valley locations could see some lows in the 40's both Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Records for today: High 93 (1927) / Low 35 (1895) / Rain 1.85" (1904)
image.png.a0b1a550bc3db7d4d57510dec80b70d0.png

Actually, I'm seriously considering getting rid of my oil forced air/central a/c system. Before we bought it, the a/c unit was replaced in 2017 with a 13 SEER unit that's really not bad, while the oil furnace was replaced in 2018 with supposed 95% efficiency  system. I say "supposed" because unlike gas systems, a lot of heat still escapes through the chimney evidenced by the very hit flu vs gas systems that use pvc pipes that expel a little warm steam.

Problem is, with the tax credit, the contractors up their prices by the amount of the tax credit so that benefit is nonexistent. 

I  got prices last year and didn't pull the trigger. I'm going to go back and get some more and likely do it. I've got a full oil tank and that should get me to January, early or late, depending on temps. Probably will get a heat pump and deal with the electric bill vs the cost of diesel, which is what they use for home heating oil. Also, the cost of cleaning the oil furnace ($250/yr) will be eliminated. 

19 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Actually, I'm seriously considering getting rid of my oil forced air/central a/c system. Before we bought it, the a/c unit was replaced in 2017 with a 13 SEER unit that's really not bad, while the oil furnace was replaced in 2018 with supposed 95% efficiency  system. I say "supposed" because unlike gas systems, a lot of heat still escapes through the chimney evidenced by the very hit flu vs gas systems that use pvc pipes that expel a little warm steam.

Problem is, with the tax credit, the contractors up their prices by the amount of the tax credit so that benefit is nonexistent. 

I  got prices last year and didn't pull the trigger. I'm going to go back and get some more and likely do it. I've got a full oil tank and that should get me to January, early or late, depending on temps. Probably will get a heat pump and deal with the electric bill vs the cost of diesel, which is what they use for home heating oil. Also, the cost of cleaning the oil furnace ($250/yr) will be eliminated. 

I saved a ton last year being 3/4 oil (new part of the house is electric).  I only paid about $1000 for the entire winter...electric and oil.  The temps being so moderate were part of that.  Some years oil kills me.  I wish gas was available.    We are not forced air, we have water heated baseboard via the oil element heating the water. 

On the roofs, I was just talking to the roof and he said about 80% of roofs being done right now are insurance based because just missing a few shingles will sometimes get you a new roof.  I was not so lucky. 

42 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I saved a ton last year being 3/4 oil (new part of the house is electric).  I only paid about $1000 for the entire winter...electric and oil.  The temps being so moderate were part of that.  Some years oil kills me.  I wish gas was available.    We are not forced air, we have water heated baseboard via the oil element heating the water. 

On the roofs, I was just talking to the roof and he said about 80% of roofs being done right now are insurance based because just missing a few shingles will sometimes get you a new roof.  I was not so lucky. 

I want to get a price for one of those Mitsubishi cold climate heat pumps. They don't have an electric strip backup like regulare heat punps as they funtion even down to -25F. That's not us, but heat pumps are efficient until around 40 degrees, then the backup electric heating strip kicks in. Only questions I have are price and a/c as I read they don't do well in hit summer climates. Gotta find out if they mean us or Arizona type hot.

6 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I want to get a price for one of those Mitsubishi cold climate heat pumps. They don't have an electric strip backup like regulare heat punps as they funtion even down to -25F. That's not us, but heat pumps are efficient until around 40 degrees, then the backup electric heating strip kicks in. Only questions I have are price and a/c as I read they don't do well in hit summer climates. Gotta find out if they mean us or Arizona type hot.

Curious if you do get a price.  I did some cursory reviewing for a heat pump myself and it looked really expensive, so I moved on for now.   You will also need to make sure it is the climate we currently have for summer, which is Southern VA according to many, vs. summers of past.  Ha. 

For those following Roof talk, I also found out that even if you are missing shingles, your roof has to be "young enough" to be covered under many insurance policies.  So, if you have the 3-tab type roof which is not put in much anymore, anything 15 and over and many insurances will deny the claim or pro-rate.  20 years and older for arch shingles. 

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

For those following Roof talk, I also found out that even if you are missing shingles, your roof has to be "young enough" to be covered under many insurance policies.  So, if you have the 3-tab type roof which is not put in much anymore, anything 15 and over and many insurances will deny the claim or pro-rate.  20 years and older for arch shingles. 

I don't recall year, but when we built my sister and BIL house, he paid  A LOT extra and we put 50 year shingles on. Part of their house is A frame. believe me when i say i hated it. My dad and i were on one side, working off roof jacks for a loooooooooong time. when others took breaks, my dad was a work horse, no breaks. Anyhow, shingles lasted like 20 years. they ended up suing to recoup some of the money. 

1 minute ago, sauss06 said:

I don't recall year, but when we built my sister and BIL house, he paid  A LOT extra and we put 50 year shingles on. Part of their house is A frame. believe me when i say i hated it. My dad and i were on one side, working off roof jacks for a loooooooooong time. when others took breaks, my dad was a work horse, no breaks. Anyhow, shingles lasted like 20 years. they ended up suing to recoup some of the money. 

Yea, not sure any asphalt shingles are 50 year regardless of what they say....they do make metal shingles but again those would be 40-50K for a house like mine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, not sure any asphalt shingles are 50 year regardless of what they say....they do make metal shingles but again those would be 40-50K for a house like mine.

The original part of my house is slate. not exactly sure when they were put on, but 75+ years. its a 12-12 pitch. At one time i'd have no problem redoing that roof, but i'm not as limber as i once was. so I'll be paying the amish to do it

Just now, sauss06 said:

The original part of my house is slate. not exactly sure when they were put on, but 75+ years. its a 12-12 pitch. At one time i'd have no problem redoing that roof, but i'm not as limber as i once was. so I'll be paying the amish to do it

My neighbor had amish do his roof and he had to go pick them up and take them home.  LOL.   Slate is cool.  I like the way it looks. 

26 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

When I re-do it, they'll be fiberglass shingles. I would not want to guess cost of the slate. 

My shingles were so old, the fiberglass was coming out in many places which basically left me no shot of getting insurance to pay even if I had damage.   The guess was 25-30 years old.