• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Autumn 2023

5 hours ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

Something I noticed was that the spotted lantern flies were not as bad this year as they were the year before. I was reading this article about how after the third year the population plummets. I wonder if it's due to their absurd numbers they just eat up the available food source which prevents as many appearing the years after? Certain trees here were covered in them but I didn't notice them as much this fall. Also I think the lantern flies are responsible for certain other insects being plentiful this year like wasps/hornets etc since those things not only eat the bodies of them but also eat the honeydew they produce. Definitely can't be a coincidence wasps exploded in numbers the season after we had so many lantern flies

They have been virtually non-existent around here this year.  Not complaining. But yeah the wasp explosion seems real. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

They have been virtually non-existent around here this year.  Not complaining. But yeah the wasp explosion seems real. 

Hillcrest pest control they spray our house 2x a year  basically on the outside  said in 2021 they treated about 10 yellow jackets nests. In 2022 they treated 100 yellow jackets nests. This year they treated over 400 yellow jackets nests. I thought I was the only one with problems. And this year was the worst so far with the lanternflies here.

6 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Hillcrest pest control they spray our house 2x a year  basically on the outside  said in 2021 they treated about 10 yellow jackets nests. In 2022 they treated 100 yellow jackets nests. This year they treated over 400 yellow jackets nests. I thought I was the only one with problems. And this year was the worst so far with the lanternflies here.

What's funny is I have noticed when I'm in Harrisburg I've seen way more littering the sidewalks.  I've honestly seen zero on my property this year.  Crazy how localized it can be. 

• Haha 1

Re: lantern flies

They're migrating west and all over Pittsburgh I've heard. We've seen 2 or 3 this year, that's it. We noticed last year spiders and bees were attacking them, which we hadn't seen previously. My theory is they have a short lifespan like a cicada and other bugs took a few years to realize they're yummy and not deadly. Once they figured it out, the lantern flies have no counterattack function so they were sitting, well, flies. 

Edit: Year, not night. Bugs were swarming the lantern flies last year

• Like 2

Globals have been quickly backing away from any type of wide scale freeze for Eastern and Central PA next week.   Disappointing as I personally want the growing season to wind down.  GFS has some Western LSV lower elevation 32's Tue AM.    Love the veggies but Nov is nearing.  OP GFS actually shows 4 days in the 70's next week with 2 approaching or breaching 80.  

MDT and CXY posting 70's this afternoon but LNS not having it yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Globals have been quickly backing away from any type of wide scale freeze for Eastern and Central PA next week.   Disappointing as I personally want the growing season to wind down.  GFS has some Western LSV lower elevation 32's Tue AM.    Love the veggies but Nov is nearing.  OP GFS actually shows 4 days in the 70's next week with 2 approaching or breaching 80.  

MDT and CXY posting 70's this afternoon but LNS not having it yet. 

Keep looking for those 70s. I'm not ready for continuous cold.

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

How did you get it to just rain there and no other places?  That is some extreme tropical like effect. 

Growing up one of the best things was when it would be raining on one side of the house and not the other. We'd run from side to side. 

We were bored in the Texas country, easily amused lol 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mahantango#1 said:

.07 here for the event 51 here. Now waiting on this unwanted trashcan and shingle removing wind. I'm sure we will get a report from Harrisburg once the winds reach a peak today.

Biggest wind so far is 24 mph! This afternoon should push the strongest gusts down. Upper 30s. 

• Like 1

Not much rain from our latest event...only 0.06" here in East Nantmeal but it looks like almost a 1/2 inch of rain fell in some spots including Exton. Temps will struggle today to get above 60 degrees. We will see below normal temps through Tuesday before some above normal readings by the end of the week. Lows on Monday night will be in the 30's with some patchy frost possible in some of the lower spots.
Records for today: High 85 (1947) / Low 19 (1922) / Rain 3.13" (1904)
image.png.30cd8b52fdf2e77d77580df014b1ff88.png