Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2023 General Discussion

Chambana

2 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Anyways, I'm allowed to be upset about the loss of a natural climate. Regardless of whether the elimination of occasional late summer frosts and freezes were advantageous to agriculture. Just look at Bradford, Pennsylvania. Used to be one of the coldest spots in the country.

August freezes in 1965, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1982, and 1986. None since 1986. It hasn't even been below 40F in the month of August since 2014, and the last time below 38F was in 2004. I mean look, it's barely dropped below 50F this month. This type of a change has to have a drastic impact on the local ecosystem.

image.png.887268801e37f5afbd2bae369e268aa8.png

image.png.367333a492ed38dea85bf0074414167c.png 

Wild a person thinks upper 20s in August is good.  Must like famine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hardypalmguy said:

No one has gardens?  Would suck to lose tomato and pepper crop over a month early.

Ok, so I did some further research.

Here was the article in the WaPo from 8/30/1982, discussing the cold snap: A Cold Snap Replaces Usual August Steambath - The Washington Post

Note the record low of 38F in suburban Washington, D.C. at Dulles International Airport. A location more noted for its hot, subtropical climate and lack of snow, saw temperatures dipping into the 30s. As you can see, most people absolutely loved that weather:

image.png.d38f99e70aef233f6ca910431567e029.png

Of course, they did. Who doesn't like a crisp morning, followed by a warm, sunny afternoon in the 70s?

The article does speculate that there could be crop damage from the midwest where temperatures dropped into the 20s.

image.png.665ddbd1a562733a85b194378b505189.png

But if we look at the actual data, we see 1982 corn yield came in way above trend. The poor yield years (1983, 1988, 1991, 1993, 1995, 2002, 2011, and 2012) were from heat and drought (except 1993 may have been heat and flooding).

The best yield years occur in cold, wet summers (1992, 2004, & 2009).

US Corn Yield History & Trends

The point being a little frost in August is probably not a big deal. The still high sun angle and short nights probably limited any frost to a couple hours near sunrise, with rapid melting by 7-7:30 am, preventing any significant damage. I mean perhaps yields would have been slightly higher without the cold snap. But it's clear from the data that heat and drought are a much bigger threat to agriculture than a quick, early frost.

1 hour ago, hardypalmguy said:

No one has gardens?  Would suck to lose tomato and pepper crop over a month early.

The airport is at 2100 feet. The town is more like 1400-1500 feet, so it was probably a few degrees warmer in town. At the airport elevation, no, I don't believe it would be practical to grow tomatoes outside of a greenhouse in a natural climate. In the native climate, the frost-free period seems to be too short. You might get a few tomatoes, but I doubt much yield. Today, it would probably be much more feasible since summertime frosts no longer occur.

22 hours ago, Lightning said:

Time you to take all the climate crap to the Climate Change section or start you own fear mongering thread.  Can the moderators please stop having the threads filled with this climate crap?

Going to agree with you on this. Climate change discussions end up causing too much debate that can get heated. That's why we have a Climate Change section on the forum. And just to be clear, when I post my monthly charts for temp anoms, its purpose is not to get into climate debates, just to show data, and where we stand now. The why this, and that can be discussed somewhere else if members wish to do that.

At the same time, if a post is made, and comments follow, it's natural for one to want to defend his position. That's when it can get dicey, and needs to be halted.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Brian D said:

After some cooler wx around here, looks like a nice, and warm weekend on tap. Rather hot just a few miles to the south of me tho. Get what you can, Fall is around the corner, especially here in the northern areas.

Today really feels like an early fall day here with temps only in the 60s.  Glad we have more heat coming.  As always hoping we can get another storm outbreak!  Some of my favorite storms have occurred in September :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

This sounds lovely right now tbh. There hasn’t been any precipitation here since August 14 with nothing on the horizon. 

I agree with you here. Grass is going dormant again. Could use a shot of the juice. The cards are not looking good though.

16 hours ago, Lightning said:

Today really feels like an early fall day here with temps only in the 60s.  Glad we have more heat coming.  As always hoping we can get another storm outbreak!  Some of my favorite storms have occurred in September :)

Hopefully a prolific lightning producer without the severe winds. Lots of areas had quite a beating this summer. 

28 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

41 here this morning.  Nice early taste of Fall before a little warm spell returns this weekend/early next week.  Temps won't be nearly as impressive as last week's heat wave, prob mid 90s tops for the DVN cwa.

you're too cold this weekend.  it will be way warmer.  probably not as humid.

1 hour ago, SolidIcewx said:

Hopefully a prolific lightning producer without the severe winds. Lots of areas had quite a beating this summer. 

Agreed.  My area just had a big beating!!  One of my trees only has about 1/3 of the branches left.  We might just take that tree down.  I didn't get power back until Monday evening.  I think that was the longest I have been without power that I can remember (well non-generator power that is).

2 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

you're too cold this weekend.  it will be way warmer.  probably not as humid.

enjoy the heat. you're schtick has run its course once again, you're about 6 months overdue for your cyclical ban. folks are tolerating your shit as its summer but if you keep the antics up the next few months you're donezo again. maybe tone it down and try to act normal. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, krfd said:

enjoy the heat. you're schtick has run its course once again, you're about 6 months overdue for your cyclical ban. folks are tolerating your shit as its summer but if you keep the antics up the next few months you're donezo again. maybe tone it down and try to act normal. 

winter won't play too nice for you, i'm sorry man.  :(

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

winter won't play too nice for you, i'm sorry man.  :(

gas on the flame. you’re a damn good troll I’ll give you that. one of the greats. 

thx for the wishcast, I have one too. 

image.thumb.png.6ac7f2fff6cafbb8eba9ca9a637234f4.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, krfd said:

The ignore feature is wonderful. Use it and save yourself the bullshit.

• Haha 4