• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

I've always marveled at how amazing and unique Hershey Bear nation really is. Average attendance since moving the Giant Center is nearly 10,000/game. The town of Hershey has a population under 15,000. Sure, Bears fans come from all over the area, but you can say that about any sports team. Hard to imagine a team that is more deeply rooted in an area's culture than the Hershey Bears. Especially at the minor league level, but there are also major sports cities that don't support their team like the chocolate and white. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

I watched game 2 - that other team is so much more talented. Like, the Bears are really good and the other team looks like they might be able to hang with a low-tier NHL team good. 

If they can win tonight, I have faith.  They looked lost in game one against Rochester and ended up winning 4 of the next 5.    I think playing on the West Coast had a big effect on them...very unusual travel since they do not travel out there during the regular season.   The conferences do not play against each other to save travel money. 

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I've always marveled at how amazing and unique Hershey Bear nation really is. Average attendance since moving the Giant Center is nearly 10,000/game. The town of Hershey has a population under 15,000. Sure, Bears fans come from all over the area, but you can say that about any sports team. Hard to imagine a team that is more deeply rooted in an area's culture than the Hershey Bears. Especially at the minor league level, but there are also major sports cities that don't support their team like the chocolate and white. 

Lots of people our age and the generation before us love them some Bears. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Lots of people our age and the generation before us love them some Bears. 

I had season tickets at the old barn from '88 through '97. Giant Center is NOT the same but the fan support has actually increased. 

My greatest memory was walking through the concourse at the Arena (this was probably in the late 70s or early 80s) and the old wafts of stale beer, smoke, and vinegar in the air. I can still remember that smell and it brings back very fond memories. Even if it wasn't the greatest of smells, it was the old barn. God I miss that place. 

18 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

one of the reasons my daughter left the Sens and went to the Bears when they came calling

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I had season tickets at the old barn from '88 through '97. Giant Center is NOT the same but the fan support has actually increased. 

My greatest memory was walking through the concourse at the Arena (this was probably in the late 70s or early 80s) and the old wafts of stale beer, smoke, and vinegar in the air. I can still remember that smell and it brings back very fond memories. Even if it wasn't the greatest of smells, it was the old barn. God I miss that place. 

Vinegar fries is a great smell to me!  I have only been to one game at the new arena, and it still seemed like a family affair vs. going to an NHL game.  But yea, not like the old place.     At the old place, my mom was hit by a puck, as a teen, and had to be ambulanced to the hospital.   They used to be called the Hershey B'ars.  LOL.  Their affliation history is interesting.

Before their current affilation with the Washington Capitals, the Bears served under mulitple affiliations with other NHL teams from 1967-2004 which were the Boston Bruins (1967-1971, 1983-1985), the Pittsburgh Penguins (1971-1977), Buffalo Sabres (1974-1979), the Philadelphia Flyers (1984-1996), the Colorado Avalanche (1996-2005), the Florida Panthers (2001/02), and Tampa Bay Lightning (2003/04). The Bears' current affiliation with the Capitals is their second stint as the top level affiliate of the Capitals. The franchise's first affiliation stint with Capitals lasted from (1977-1984).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Knowing we need to get 12.49/92=.14" a day just to break even during the entirety of the summer months (June/July/August) I think we would indeed need something dramatic to catch up area wide.    Even if it rains 1/2" on a Monday, if it does not rain again until Saturday, we have actually added .06 the deficit at that point...hard to break out without either several heavy events in a row or a big event.  Sort of like trying to pay off a credit card with 20% interest by paying the min payment. 
That's what I thought. I figured our only hope was a tropical system that laid down 5"+ but with the usual track of systems places east of the river would get a lot more and have to deal with major flooding. It's weird that the only hope to get one part of the forum out of drought would probably lead to catastrophic flooding in another.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jns2183 said:

That's what I thought. I figured our only hope was a tropical system that laid down 5"+ but with the usual track of systems places east of the river would get a lot more and have to deal with major flooding. It's weird that the only hope to get one part of the forum out of drought would probably lead to catastrophic flooding in another.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

If we had three or four 1-2" rainfalls that would pull us out of drought as well. Just not these 1/3" ones....but the small ones help the grass!   Unrelated but 12Z looks a lot better for Sat interests.  It was starting to look dicey. 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

If we had three or four 1-2" rainfalls that would pull us out of drought as well. Just not these 1/3" ones....but the small ones help the grass!   Unrelated but 12Z looks a lot better for Sat interests.  It was starting to look dicey. 

Tomorrow looks more promising for rain totals than yesterday did, at least according to CTP. It would be really nice if all of us got > .25" tomorrow with threats for more water next week. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

gonna be a tall tale to beat them for sure. 

Agreed.. they're speedy little bastards and most passes tape to tape in open space, pretty impressive.. I didn’t realize Dan Bylesma was at the helm for them until a few weeks ago…  That said… Bears might have figured a few things out in Game 3.  They really took it to them in the corners, just muscled CV off the puck pretty consistently for stretches… Probably the obvious key for the Bears if they want to hang with a well-oiled machine is limiting man-advantages.. Most of the penalties the Bears took in Game 3 were self-inflicted, too-many-men-on the ice, delay of game, etc..  those really came back to bite them. Giant Center was electric on Tues. Just got my voice back this morning.  Won’t be there tonight but good luck to those who are heading down.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jonesy56 said:

Agreed.. they're speedy little bastards and most passes tape to tape in open space, pretty impressive.. I didn’t realize Dan Bylesma was at the helm for them until a few weeks ago…  That said… Bears might have figured a few things out in Game 3.  They really took it to them in the corners, just muscled CV off the puck pretty consistently for stretches… Probably the obvious key for the Bears if they want to hang with a well-oiled machine is limiting man-advantages.. Most of the penalties the Bears took in Game 3 were self-inflicted, too-many-men-on the ice, delay of game, etc..  those really came back to bite them. Giant Center was electric on Tues. Just got my voice back this morning.  Won’t be there tonight but good luck to those who are heading down.

I'm getting picked up at 4 to get some tailgating in. I haven't been to a Calder Cup game since the barn, so i'm looking forward to the atmosphere tonight. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

By the way...I posted a link in a post I made earlier this morning to a "Special Weather Discussion" released by the director of Met. at Millersville - Tamaqua made the discussion! The met mentioned that the Tamaqua area had about 5" of rain the other day, making them the big winners. :)  

That's pretty cool. It's not often that Tamaqua jackpots.

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

I didn’t know this - cool!

yep. she Had done internships with the Bears after college and had it not been for COVID she was going full time with them. So when they came calling she went "home" as she calls it. Though she is a baseball nut and like her time with the Sens, Hershey is much better all the way around for her career.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

yep. she Had done internships with the Bears after college and had it not been for COVID she was going full time with them. So when they came calling she went "home" as she calls it. Though she is a baseball nut and like her time with the Sens, Hershey is much better all the way around for her career.

Sounds like she should get us a box to have an AmWx meetup party during a game next year ........ 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Sure does.  Full go on the party.  Now I just have to get the entire inside/outside of our house cleaned and in order -- always easy with two kids under 3.  I tell ya what fellas, a man's work is never done.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Sure does.  Full go on the party.  Now I just have to get the entire inside/outside of our house cleaned and in order -- always easy with two kids under 3.  I tell ya what fellas, a man's work is never done.

I have learned that we see mess/dust/dirt/clutter in our house much more than most guests ever would.   In fact, with two young kids on board, people may wonder if your house is too clean. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I just watched the replay from Game 3 of the Bears and West Coasters again.    Love the OT goal call and so incredible that the Bears got super lucky to get to that win with a post saving them earlier in OT.    Zack Fisch is great. 

Bears have had some great announcers - John Walton preceded Fisch, I'm sure as a Caps fan you're familiar with Walton. My all-time favorite though was Dave Mishkin, now the legendary voice of the Tampa Bay Lightning. Here is Mishkin with both the Bears and Lightning:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Bears have had some great announcers - John Walton preceded Fisch, I'm sure as a Caps fan you're familiar with Walton. My all-time favorite though was Dave Mishkin, now the legendary voice of the Tampa Bay Lightning. Here is Mishkin with both the Bears and Lightning:

"The goalies are fighting!"  LOL

And then the TB with him and Esposito.  Mishkin is going Crazy and Esposito looks like he just finished watching Goodfellas. 

The thing about the Bears announcers is they have had great Radio voices.  Radio requires a certain voice (vs. TV.)

• Thanks 1